Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
But Chronicles doesn't have any tombs
Pierre's southern region says hello

Quote:
was referring to the khazakstan bike race in legend
Good to know. Should've adress it in the first place.

Quote:
not really lmao but ok
I don't know what is 'lmao' in my post, but sure. Have it your way.

Quote:
i thought it was agreed upon that "Tomb Raider" was her title/job occupation and not the object of the games
By whom exactly?
Classic Lara is an author of guide books. The money she makes from it, supports her adventures.
Also let me quote her: 'I'm only play for sport.'

Reboot Lara was a student in archeology, probably unemployed or self employed at the moment.

Still, the nickname 'Tomb Raider' wouldn't be right, if we take the word strict definition.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 18:56   #122
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
Putai says hello.
No she isn't in the official game/novels or story just a scrapped idea who isn't officialy canon like Rouzic, Germany or others Bloodline room.
Old 05-01-20, 19:13   #123
Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
That's what I was thinking, lol... I honestly think LateRaiders definition was rigid on purpose so they could skew it in favor of the reboot games..
desperate times call for desperate measures...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
No she isn't in the official game/novels or story just a scrapped idea who isn't officialy canon like Rouzic, Germany or others Bloodline room.
That's a good point, but she was part of the initial story.
Try to look at it this way: the scrapped story elements got shared so far, gives a better context for AoD.

Like that:
there is an unused scene, where Lara kissed Werner's cheek, before standing up and looking at her blood covered hands. since the colors matching the final flashback cutscene, it's safe to say, that it belonged there.
So that small snippet represents Lara's real thoughts about him: she probably forgived him a long time ago, but she choosed to keep the angry facade. (the reasons are very well explained in an interview with Murti on ashka's site)

Also the whole scrapped Putai scene could be used to find some kind of understanding of the events after TR4.
Lara got out with the help of Putai and was recovering in a tribal camp. (scrapped tutorial level idea) While Von Croy was digging after her and found her backpack instead. For whatever reason he left, knowing Lara was out there somewhere, wrecked. ( "...there was no pity then.")
So going by that, at the end of the events of TR4, Von Croy already had taken Eckhardt's contract, hence why he left with the backpack but without looking for Lara. He needed her, but he knew Lara was way too pissed about the whole Seth fiasco.

The problem is, the game is unfinished in many ways and we are left with scraps.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 19:22   #124
SnatchingEdges
Explorer

I still don't think this Lara has the right impact, and I don't think the movies are a sign of it. If any, they are signs' of the past impact.

I mean, if TR2013 was named Island Escape and the main character Annie Jones, do you think we would have that film with Alicia Vikander? I believe not. Pop culture still remembers Classic Lara; if media has given that much coverage to both reboot games and films is because it's related to the old ones.

Sales don't have to mean anything. Rise has more sells than FFIX and 2013 more than FFX/VIII. Do you think Rise will cling into people's minds like those games? lol no.
The only meaningful thing I see looking at sales is that the industry has lost interest in the reboot. It went from 11m to 4. From TR1 to TLR, Legend to Underworld the sales were not that different unlike the newer ones, especially regarding that nowadays videogames are way more popular.

The reboot arrived, sparked some noise and it's already gone. New Lara is a generic character with a good concept in a generic game. Nothing special or outstanding. An icon that's living off a previous success. Without the marketing selling the return to an already built brand with an apparently deep, raw backstory, good graphics and generic gameplay that reminded one of the biggest success at the beginning of the 2010s (including trendy 3rd shooter), I think the games would have been overlooked.
Old 05-01-20, 19:32   #125
Daft Raider

^And even by the end of the movie Lara was in a braid and was touting dual pistols so....
Daft Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 19:46   #126
iWANEX
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
Who would have thought the game with the most tombs in a tomb raider game is one of the the worst ones
Not according to a lot of people. To me it's one of the best entries in the series.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-20, 19:58   #127
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post
I still don't think this Lara has the right impact, and I don't think the movies are a sign of it. If any, they are signs' of the past impact.

I mean, if TR2013 was named Island Escape and the main character Annie Jones, do you think we would have that film with Alicia Vikander? I believe not. Pop culture still remembers Classic Lara; if media has given that much coverage to both reboot games and films is because it's related to the old ones.

Sales don't have to mean anything. Rise has more sells than FFIX and 2013 more than FFX/VIII. Do you think Rise will cling into people's minds like those games? lol no.
The only meaningful thing I see looking at sales is that the industry has lost interest in the reboot. It went from 11m to 4. From TR1 to TLR, Legend to Underworld the sales were not that different unlike the newer ones, especially regarding that nowadays videogames are way more popular.
That could be true, but again, it's also just speculation. For all we know, "Island Escape" and "Annie Jones" could have been lauded as "a must play, with what is essentially the 21st century version of Lara Croft", the game still be a great success that leads to movie producers to buy the rights to adapt it (which basically happens all the time), looking for a new female-lead adventure franchise that could still attract A-list actresses with the prospect of "You know what Lara Croft did to Angelina Jolie, and vice-versa? This could be you, now!"

And comparisons to Lara Croft would of course happen, but in the same vein as Lara Croft was also first compared to "the female Indiana Jones" before making a name for herself.

Besides, the newer movie didn't really need to be based on the reboot games. They could still be based on the AJ version (which might actually be the most well known version of Lara Croft outside of gaming), or more on actual classic Lara, or something entirely new. But no, they specifically went very reboot-inspired, more than AJ's version was inspired by classic Lara. If reboot Lara and the reboot games really didn't have no impact of their own, the movie wouldn't be as inspired by them as they were.

And RotTR will be better remembered than many here think: the exclusivity deal was controversial not only for TR fans, but for the whole gaming community, but even with a one year delay and Uncharted being a thing, it still sold incredibly well on PS4, it sold really well all around, and it still is a really well received game.

And about SotTR sales? Going from 11M to 4M? 4M was the number of physical copies shipped after 4 months. It doesn't count digital sales which getting more common and affecting physical sales for all games (AC: Odyssey had a similar "problem" as well), and comparing 4 months to what? 5 year sales or more? For all we know, SotTR's sales might now closer to 5.5M or 6M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
^And even by the end of the movie Lara was in a braid and was touting dual pistols so....
Because of Jolie's Lara, not because of classic Lara.
Old 05-01-20, 20:11   #128
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Because of Jolie's Lara, not because of classic Lara.
The ugly truth... ㋡

TR2013 Lara had an impact on gaming and all, and she’ll live on forever in our hearts.
Old 05-01-20, 20:22   #129
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
Pierre's southern region says hello
larson's about to raid a tomb in the south of nantes
Old 05-01-20, 20:24   #130
SnatchingEdges
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Do you think a movie of 'Island Escape' would happen when games with bigger fanbases and more praise hasn't gotten any yet? Why would they make a movie about a character that's too bland in comparison to others that would attract more audience?

You're right about the sales, in a couple of years maybe we'll look at this with more perspective.

Rise brought controversy, but any game can create it nowadays if the media touches one particular topic: CONSOLE WAR! A lot of people complaining online about exclusives don't even play the games they attack/defend. Outside that controversy I haven't seen that much presence of Rise, only in particular environments like this forum (and I don't follow the cosplay community, but I've only seen cosplays of 2013 Lara covered in dirt and stuff, no cosplays for the sequels, but that may be just my eyes lol). And Shadow... well, mostly bad/meh critiques and nothing more.

Having the movie based on the game was a smart move imo.