www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 02-01-20, 22:57   #41
Tombraider95
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Reboot Lara has no impact because she's just a boring character. That's really it. There isn't anything about her that makes her special. And the reboot trilogy just aren't good enough games for the current standard. Just look at the best games of the last decade. The reboot trilogy is never mentioned.

Say what you will about classic Lara, but she wasn't boring. She stood out among everyone for various reasons. Confidence, sexiness, sass, giant ridicules boobs, dual guns, her braid, her outfit, and a whole lot of other things. Reboot Lara just doesn't do that and she just isn't a strong character on her own. She's just a forgettable girl with a bow.
I agree with this!

On a side note, dressing up as Classic Lara I'd imagine you'd feel more confident, strong and sexy because obviously that's who she is and her design reflected that. But the Reboot style is more "messy" in terms of her design, so I can see the appeal of dressing up as the more "fun" character. That's how I'd feel anyway if I had to choose.
Old 02-01-20, 23:02   #42
LateRaider
Archaeologist

who is ridiculing lara's boobs? what
Old 02-01-20, 23:44   #43
Greatest TR
Explorer

Why Reboot Lara has no impact?

Simple..

Reboot Lara isn't a Classic Core Lara.

Feminist and SJW ruining video game female character.

There is alot of female character as a role leader in video games now days. Not that unique compare to the 90's gaming era

Reboot Lara (Crystal dynamic) gameplay engine is not that impressive compare to Naughty Dog (uncharted gameplay engine) If Reboot tomb raider came out first before Uncharted. Things could be different

and the most important all is that Crystal Dynamic is not a Core Design after all. You can't beat tank controls and grid block system, they are the unique, fun and challenging. In my opinion, that's what make Tomb Raider so great. I have been saying this for years now.

I could go on.
That's my opinion.
Old 03-01-20, 00:03   #44
lance6439
Legend

Lara's core audience were always left leaning/subscribers of feminism so you're wrong about that.

Rest is subjective
Old 03-01-20, 00:08   #45
killchan
Explorer

Reboot Lara has no impact for the same reason many other famous videogame characters have no impact : most gaming icons we know today got popular when gaming was a whole new ground to explore at the time and/or some of them got elevated to notoriety by movies, cartoons and stuff.
That era is gone.

Now it's all about superheroes movies and netflix originals.
Old 03-01-20, 00:09   #46
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
Lara's core audience were always left leaning/subscribers of feminism so you're wrong about that.

Rest is subjective
Not today's feminism though. 90s feminism which is 'problematic'.
Old 03-01-20, 00:16   #47
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

I think that even if reboot Lara lived up to all our expectations to the character, and even if she actually had a personality to speak of, she still wouldn't reach the impact Classic Lara did. And I don't think any other game character ever will.

Lara's popularity was so big because she was a product of her time. She was a pioneer back then, and she represented a LOT of things that we 'in' around that time, like girl power, British success ála Spice Girls, games stepping into the 3D world, etc. Her personality as well as her looks also are things that really belongs to the era.

She was a culmination of good choices, good timing and quite honestly luck. Had TR been released a few years later than it did, Lara would still be adored, the games would still have sold well, but the general impact and star power would have been different. Classic Lara is an amazing character and my favourite version of the character (and this is not nostalgia talking) but its undeniable that if she were presented to us for the first time at the present time, people would like her and she'd still spawn a franchise, but she would definitely not reach the popularity she did back then.

Lara is one of the few game characters up there with Sonic, Mario and Scorpion where even the general public knows who they are.
Old 03-01-20, 00:22   #48
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

This is a well thought post VictorXD and I share this vision as well !
Old 03-01-20, 00:24   #49
lance6439
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Not today's feminism though. 90s feminism which is 'problematic'.
It's not by generation but instead the actual meaning of the word. And REAL feminists have no problem with Lara Croft and what she stands for and who she is.

Anyone who does is a straw feminist lol
Old 03-01-20, 00:35   #50
redfox45
Archaeologist

I gotta admit until I came back here I was totally oblivious about how much of a gay following Lara Croft had (classic Lara in particular)

It's funny that Classic Lara was clearly meant to be marketed towards horny straight teenage boys, most of which have long moved on and don't even care about the series that much anymore and the last demographic they probably ever thought would be interested in Lara, are now one of the biggest reasons the series is even still being kept afloat.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote