www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 28-10-16, 08:23   #5781
dcw123
Relic Hunter

Ooooh AOD stuff aswell - will be cool to see.
AOD is still one of my favorite TRs - beautiful animations and the fact Lara can grab and climb onto pretty much anything.

Will be awesome to see some new screens and things - I'm still yet to buy the 20th Anniversary Book.. I've got about a week to wait until I can get it..
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 08:28   #5782
Hazelphoenix
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashka View Post
We honestly worked really hard to get this stuff. It's very difficult to get this out of people who try to move on since TR didn't end very well for them. One of the guest on one of the TR20 events, for example, was criticized for her work very badly and as a result it took me years to get an interview with her and it was a huge surprise when she attended the event. This is not directed at you Victor, just for other people on previous pages.

Even Murti is a prime example, took him years to finally release stuff (YES WE HAVE TONS OF AOD STUFF TO PUSH OUT AS WELL, STARTING TOMORROW) because of criticism that AOD had. So the comments like "ugly " or "hideous" screenshots from clearly a work-in-progress Maya Viewport does not make it easier for us to receive more material. If it is something that you don't enjoy sometimes it is probably for the best to just ignore. These people don't get paid for sending us stuff, and frankly I don't get paid for publishing it or organising events. Whoever sends us stuff thinks that fans still want to see their work.
I particularly often link Core members to TRF threads with praise to Core but then there's always a post or two with something really mean and horrible. Basic self-awareness would go a very long way. Remember, people who did the artwork can also go online and read your comments. Took us ten years to finally get some media, let's just appreciate it?

But yes we are lucky to receive this stuff and we hope for more.
PS. @Victor, no Natla unfortunately but we have someone else
It's kinda painful to learn about this, I knew Murti had a hard time trying to swallow the bitter pill but I see where he's coming from honestly, knowing how AOD has been trashed and badmouthed by fans, press, general public and software houses alike for the past 13 years. It's not easy to whitstand such a negative pressure and go on like nothing ever happened, so it's only logical he wasn't willing to open up to people from the fandom in general. Glad this changed though, and after meeting him I can say for sure he deserves all the praise he gets. A super awesome human being.

Didn't know about others who felt hurt by the mean comments around the internet though, sorry to hear that. Hope they all know, deep in their heart, that a LOT of people (not just a small minority like someone always loves to point out) still care about them and cherish every single effort they've done to keep this saga going, both during good times and bad times. Nobody's perfect, everyone is bound to commit mistakes sooner or later, that's what should be kept in mind. Core misstepped and (unfairly) paid for their errors, that's not to say it can't happen to someone else in the future...

Either way, I'm grateful something has changed lately and we're receiving more exclusive goodies about AE. They in no way owe us anything, and if they still decided to do so it just means they care about us and this franchise despite everything.
Hazelphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 08:33   #5783
dcw123
Relic Hunter

If only the unfinished game was released in some way, even a small demo level - would have been awesome to play some of this game.

Core always had an amazing art direction in their use of colour and lighting.
Most modern games just look boring and too realistic (grey and browns ewww)

EDIT: And can we all just drop the negativity please.. Yeah, so I said what I said.
I didn't think before I typed - let alone the fact any ex-Core people would even read any of it..
And yeah, I didn't even realise it was missing effects and lighting and stuff - i thought it was just an early alpha screenshot or something before they 'altered' it in some way (alpha to beta for example)

I'm a massive fan of Core and classic Lara - much more than I am of Reboot and Crystal (I was OK with LAU - ish)
I would only wish their legacy was continued..

Back on topic

Last edited by dcw123; 28-10-16 at 08:36.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 08:40   #5784
Phlip
Inactive

These new materials are stunning, it's interesting to see how Core successfully did away with the blockiness of the original maps by adding just the right amount of objects and clutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
From what we have been told a Lara Croft model was put into the Free Running engine as a very early prototype/concept of TRAE. This is confirmed in various interviews. I can fully confirm from the vertices(I have loaded) and mesh name "Lara" there is a 99% chance the model is left-over and still present in the retail Free Running game fils. Not forgetting, Free Running was delayed after Core Design was sold it's likely that during the time Free Running was completed, Core Design continued to work on the game fixing minor bugs and some where a long the line the assets for the build which Lara Croft was a playable character was some how merged resulting in it being in the final release.

Other than that, I really don't know but yeah, there really is a Lara Croft model in Free Running.

Cheers.
How has no-one ripped this yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
This is that room. The TR1 moving columns are missing but you can see the holes in the walls where Lara ducked in and out. In the trailer it's looking at the opposite wall. Looks like they were planning to change the puzzle. The sand on the floor would prevent moving blocks by standard TR logic.

I understand why the red and orange are gone from the walls. The level never really did match the earlier ones in the location. Using similar bricks to the other structures in the previous levels makes it fit more. It's not like it's grey anyway. Look at that green moss, and the colourful tiles on the floor. Even when core are doing a grey brick texture it's vibrant. Oranges and reds would be reintroduced with lighting, those torches being a prime example.
I do wonder how the columns would have moved, then.

I see what you're saying when it comes to the colour scheme, and agree that even when Core use dull colours they still add interesting details and hints of colour which keep it visually stimulating. However, I would have preferred if they went with a preserved and non-eroded, red and gold marble architectural style. I don't think inconsistency would have been an issue since the tomb is it's own thing dedicated to Qualopec, and it would have been a touch more faithful to have it this way.
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 09:05   #5785
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacpy View Post
Sure, this does make it more in sync with the earlier "open" areas but did it really have to be? I don't think the color scheme in Tomb of Qualopec was so out of nowhere considering the last area of City of Vilcabamba (of course that area could also look different in TRAE). I know this is unfinished/unlit (and it may very well be nostalgia speaking) but from your screenshots I think I prefer the feel of the original. (I did not dislike TRA's ToQ and I guess you did basing on the part I edited out of the quote.)
They did add the orange back in through the lighting, though (look at the trailer I linked you to earlier).

@Boobandie: Yeah, that's the conclusion I came to after having another look at the trailer, as well.

Last edited by Zebra; 28-10-16 at 09:06.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 09:10   #5786
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

When you think about it, the texture work in the first game might actually have been informed by the lighting (which literally had white, gray and black, with no coloured lighting being introduced until TR3).
Old 28-10-16, 10:16   #5787
Caesum
Tomb Raider

^ Indeed this might be true. Maria Doria was definitely made that way. Everything is unnaturally blue because textures had to immitate lighting.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 12:54   #5788
Ward Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggctuk View Post
When you think about it, the texture work in the first game might actually have been informed by the lighting (which literally had white, gray and black, with no coloured lighting being introduced until TR3).
That's probably true, but I still miss how vivid the colors were in the TR1 version It was pretty, and it emphasized that the tomb had been sealed for so long and was perfectly preserved.

The AE version of course looks better with the lighting in the trailer (I'm not judging the Maya version that doesn't have any lighting) but it's still not quite as vivid. Having said that, it's still miles ahead of how the TRA version looks with everything being fairly monochromatic and seeming so clean for lack of a better way to explain it. Core's version is definitely more colorful than that, and the lighting is much more atmospheric. Everything has softer edges, and a lot of the areas have a bit of a hazy feeling like the air is full of dust. It feels like a dirty and forgotten tomb.
Old 28-10-16, 14:39   #5789
Ashnod
Professor

Quote:
We honestly worked really hard to get this stuff. It's very difficult to get this out of people who try to move on since TR didn't end very well for them. One of the guest on one of the TR20 events, for example, was criticized for her work very badly and as a result it took me years to get an interview with her and it was a huge surprise when she attended the event. This is not directed at you Victor, just for other people on previous pages.

Even Murti is a prime example, took him years to finally release stuff (YES WE HAVE TONS OF AOD STUFF TO PUSH OUT AS WELL, STARTING TOMORROW) because of criticism that AOD had. So the comments like "ugly " or "hideous" screenshots from clearly a work-in-progress Maya Viewport does not make it easier for us to receive more material. If it is something that you don't enjoy sometimes it is probably for the best to just ignore. These people don't get paid for sending us stuff, and frankly I don't get paid for publishing it or organising events. Whoever sends us stuff thinks that fans still want to see their work.
I particularly often link Core members to TRF threads with praise to Core but then there's always a post or two with something really mean and horrible. Basic self-awareness would go a very long way. Remember, people who did the artwork can also go online and read your comments. Took us ten years to finally get some media, let's just appreciate it?
I just want to say that this applies equally to Crystal Dynamics. I'm not comparing the situations of the two companies. I mean what it feels to produce something that you put your soul into, only to come to a place like TRF and read the vitriol and venom that proclaim that not only are you lazy and uncaring but also brand you the worst thing to happen in the history of things that have happened.

This can be a toxic fanbase. Sympathy more often than not does not exist for those who hold different perspectives.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-16, 14:47   #5790
Alex Fly
Inactive

Quote:
Oh how cool!
Well we will be publishing 3 screens of TRAE's Lara and a couple of other models soon so once you get the code working we can compare them!
I can't wait to see them !
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote