www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 22-01-20, 19:40   #31901
Daft Raider
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
Really? Please, do the opposite. Picture yourself in a situation like hers:
3 days with zombies on the street, you get yourself prepared, and you really don't think what are you going to be wearing? I just don't believe it.

I mean, I would think about it. And I'm not a cop. She is. Sorry, but I just don't buy that reasoning. At least the "she was in a night out with her friends" is just wrong on another level, I would buy that one if it was the case (tho it isn't).
You're really over thinking it, why does it even matter? Point is, Capcom wanted her to look like a Civilian, and that's what she happened to be wearing. It's not like there's a mechanic for avoiding zombies who try to pull her top down, there's no embarrassment mechanic for flashing your boobs at Nemesis and making him blush. (although that would be a pretty great defense item)

Her outfit doesn't really matter, what matters is she's a bad ass and can take down Nemesis in whatever she decides to wear.

Last edited by Daft Raider; 22-01-20 at 19:42.
Daft Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-20, 21:04   #31902
ESCachuli
Professor
 
ESCachuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,995
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
You're really over thinking it, why does it even matter? Point is, Capcom wanted her to look like a Civilian, and that's what she happened to be wearing. It's not like there's a mechanic for avoiding zombies who try to pull her top down, there's no embarrassment mechanic for flashing your boobs at Nemesis and making him blush. (although that would be a pretty great defense item)

Her outfit doesn't really matter, what matters is she's a bad ass and can take down Nemesis in whatever she decides to wear.
It matters to me. That outfit makes her look dumb. A tube top and a mini skirt being her clothes election is stupid.
ESCachuli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-20, 23:42   #31903
Daft Raider
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
It matters to me. That outfit makes her look dumb. A tube top and a mini skirt being her clothes election is stupid.
If the clothes she wears defines her instead of her capabilities then that sounds like you're projecting some personal issues onto her.
Daft Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 00:12   #31904
redfox45
Archaeologist
 
redfox45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Temple of Xian
Posts: 1,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
Her outfit doesn't really matter, what matters is she's a bad ass and can take down Nemesis in whatever she decides to wear.
Jill isn't the one who made that call though because she isn't real.

What i'd be interested in is who on the dev team chose it and why.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 00:21   #31905
Gothlegend
Archaeologist
 
Gothlegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Silent hill: Gender: Male
Posts: 2,416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
If the clothes she wears defines her instead of her capabilities then that sounds like you're projecting some personal issues onto her.
I think that's what a lot of this weird debate comes down to. We're all projecting in one way or another. Once again I think the outfit is just iconic. It has a little bit of trademark Jill in the color scheme and really takes a backseat to the character. Jill's lines are delivered with conviction and concern, which make her outfit more of an accessory (as it should be tbh) to her as a person. It seems like they've carried this over to the Remake, which is all too exciting
__________________
ITCHY.TASTY.
Gothlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 02:32   #31906
robm_2007
Legend
 
robm_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: RIP, Spong! You are very missed!
Posts: 34,717
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
Its controversial because boob and also leg.

0/10. Hot outfit but also slut so were not allowed to like it. :/
She's also showing her clavicle and wrists! Childrenz play these games!
---
But yes, the very debate is so double, triple, quadruple edged. For every argument made in either case, there is a sensible counterpoint.

A) Her outfit doesn't make sense in a zombie setting. Her boobs would fall out and her skirt would ride up her legs. The boots would show her down and not allow her to be agile.
B) It's a video game and in-game logic doesn't employ physics that would make her boobs pop out of her shirt or boots making her sluggish. It was a design choice, no need to over-analyze it. But if only there were: Jill used flash! Nemesis is disoriented! It's super effective! Or a mechanic where you have to keep readjusting her skirt with the triggers or else she can fall over, similar to Death Stranding needing you to press the triggers to balance weight when carrying all those Fed Ex packages and Meals on Wheels deliveries.

A) She's dressed poorly for the setting (Chicago is referenced as being sort of nearby, which is chilly and windy in October: remember that her sweater is purely decoration, at no point is she actually wearing it).
B) Jill isn't affected by the weather in the game because it isn't supposed to matter. Not even the rain affects her.

A) It's a casual outfit, something she's wearing around the house. She didn't know she'd be put into danger soon.
B) She's a cop, already knows the zombies are bound to be invading the city, and if she's under house arrest (and abiding by it), why would she dress like that at home? That's not a comfortable outfit to lounge at home in.

A) She chose to wear that outfit. It's her fashion taste and doesn't let anyone tell her what she can or can't wear.
B) No, she was designed to wear that. The developers (men) just didn't care to give reason to it, they just liked that outfit and that's what they wanted her to wear (maybe because it's so distinct: it is, and/or because they thought she'd look "hot." She has no consciousness to "choose" to wear that.

Bayonetta, who looks and acts like a sexy librarian was designed by a woman has OTT sexy, intricate, flamboyant outfits (yet that exactly matches the character and the setting/tone of the game). Everything is OTT, gorey, sparkley, gold-adorned, and flashy. In RE3 remake, that skirt outfit would seem...questionable, even if you handwave boob physics, chilly weather, and it being worthy of criticism by Miranda Priestly: "You have no style, or sense of fashion..."

A) It's a video game in 1999, times were different, as was the tone.
B) Yes, and if they want to go for a more ground, "realistic" approach in the REmake, a default outfit of a tube top, skirt, and giant boots are going to stick out. (Either way, we are getting both, so who cares)?

Speaking of sexism and all that, I've felt like the Jill's outfit and Nemesis stalking her, attacking her (with his tentacles in her mouth, infecting her, shooting her with his "rocket launcher," choking/throwing/punching) is a great allegory to #metoo, slut-shaming, and violence against women. (But they wanted to present Jill, this slender woman in a "hooker" outfit still being adept and resilient enough to defeat a 7 foot tall, 300 lb Hulk-knockoff who is equipped with a rocket launcher and can mutate several times into even more dangerous versions of himself because finally being killed. Girl power!

To quote Jessica Rabbit, "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."
__________________
SERENlTY NOW
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 05:11   #31907
Lord Lulu
Explorer
 
Lord Lulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm_2007 View Post
She's also showing her clavicle and wrists! Childrenz play these games!
---
But yes, the very debate is so double, triple, quadruple edged. For every argument made in either case, there is a sensible counterpoint.

A) She's dressed poorly for the setting (Chicago is referenced as being sort of nearby, which is chilly and windy in October: remember that her sweater is purely decoration, at no point is she actually wearing it).
B) Jill isn't affected by the weather in the game because it isn't supposed to matter. Not even the rain affects her.


To quote Jessica Rabbit, "I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."
Yes that is about how all this goes down. Then it just keeps going in circles.

As to the weather part. I live in Mid Michigan and we have had a warm October in 2019. So it is possible that they had warmer temperatures in Racoon City.

Now I wonder why they changed Jill's defult outfit in the RE3 remake?
__________________
Classic Lara Croft is a Sith Lord. It explains her gravity defying bosom.
Lord Lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 11:15   #31908
ESCachuli
Professor
 
ESCachuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 2,995
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lulu View Post
Yes that is about how all this goes down. Then it just keeps going in circles.

As to the weather part. I live in Mid Michigan and we have had a warm October in 2019. So it is possible that they had warmer temperatures in Racoon City.

Now I wonder why they changed Jill's defult outfit in the RE3 remake?
Because it looks silly. This game isnt bayonetta, it has a realistic tone. Please, dont use the "there are zombies, its a Fantasy game" point, because if so we could have Jill flying and shooting kamehamehas if nothing matters.

I want Tomb Raider to have the classic outfit because the tone of the games should be more stylish. I want RE to have more realistic tone, because it helps with the horror ambience and makes it more scary. I want Bayonetta to be anime-ish because it is Over the top and fun.

Each game has it's tone. A RE3 remake with realistic graphics and the classic outfit will look stupid. Just wait until you play it. You will enjoy it, for sure, because nostalgia. But it will look dumb nonetheless.
ESCachuli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 12:11   #31909
Lord Lulu
Explorer
 
Lord Lulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
Because it looks silly. This game isnt bayonetta, it has a realistic tone. Please, dont use the "there are zombies, its a Fantasy game" point, because if so we could have Jill flying and shooting kamehamehas if nothing matters.

I want Tomb Raider to have the classic outfit because the tone of the games should be more stylish. I want RE to have more realistic tone, because it helps with the horror ambience and makes it more scary. I want Bayonetta to be anime-ish because it is Over the top and fun.

Each game has it's tone. A RE3 remake with realistic graphics and the classic outfit will look stupid. Just wait until you play it. You will enjoy it, for sure, because nostalgia. But it will look dumb nonetheless.
Did you even play the Resident Evil games in the PS1 era? Call it realistic tone all you want, it does not make it so. Also, you just proved robm_2007 right.

I just want a faithful remake. You want Lara Croft to have her classic outfit. Well I want Jill to have her outfits. So don't be asking for Lara's outfit and tell others to stop asking for Jill's outfit.
__________________
Classic Lara Croft is a Sith Lord. It explains her gravity defying bosom.
Lord Lulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-20, 12:33   #31910
matrix54
Tomb Raider
 
matrix54's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: N/A
Posts: 20,074
Default

I want the game to be done like REmake: The same, with more content - much of the script was even more or less the same. It's totally respectful to the source material while adding in new ideas to keep it fresh. I don't know what they're doing with RE2 and RE3 - they may as well just make a new games.
__________________
Check out "Checkout: Journey to Employee of the Month!"
matrix54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.