www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 13-07-18, 07:58   #12811
ccroft2003
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Holiday View Post
I think Geek was referring to how Jolie disliked the games when she was cast as Lara. She even said she hated Lara once because she was jealous her old boyfriend played the games too much. She also literally grimaced in some interviews when people said "video game adaptation."

Sure, she credits HER movie as making her appreciate travel and charity, but she made Lara a copy of herself in the movies more than she became Lara. She's glad she did the film but that doesnt mean she is grateful to the source material.

I dont hate her as Lara, i just dont see lara when i watch the old movies, I see Angelina Jolie in holsters.
I totally agree with this... Simon West came on board late in the process and completely re-wrote the planned movie and totally ignored the source material trying to create a "female James Bond" with gadgets.

Angelina then came on board and made suggestions of her own including adding her own father into the mix which is where the whole "Daddy issues" came from and what we've had to put up with the past 17 years!

SO, although Angelina was fun to watch, she created her OWN version of Lara with the revised background story rather than staying true to the source material created by Toby and the guys at Core.

I do believe that we would have had far more successful movies had she not changed the background story and had they stay true to the source material.
Old 13-07-18, 09:38   #12812
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Lara doesn't solve a single puzzle herself.
Uh, the colour puzzle in the falling floor trap?

But yes, she should have had solved more puzzles herself. Maybe instead of notes on how to solve the karakuri wall, the notes could have been on how it related to the small karakuri puzzle Lara solves in the Endurance, how he couldn't solve it, and Lara herself finds the answer.
Old 13-07-18, 09:56   #12813
Soma Holiday
Relic Hunter

I'll admit i was annoyed the new one had the karakuri puzzle but never showed us how she solved it. Like sure she used the notes but i wanted to see the trick to it, otherwise who cares?

Better than the old movies though, its been a while since I've seen them but i dont recall there being any actual puzzles, just keys to put in random holes that jolie just automatically knew because she's lara croft!! Like the false eye in the first movie or her just being like OMG I THROW THE CLOCK IN THE CLOUD FAM CAUSE GRAIN OF SAND YAS!!! Then same with the orb in the random hole at the end of the 2nd movie...like why though?? Why that hole??? No thought was put into any of it...
Soma Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-18, 11:02   #12814
Grimaldi
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Holiday View Post
OMG I THROW THE CLOCK IN THE CLOUD FAM CAUSE GRAIN OF SAND YAS!!!
I wish this was an actual line of a dialogue.
Old 13-07-18, 11:15   #12815
Ellioft
Professor

She solves many puzzles in the new film :

Karakuri (she know naturally how to solve it)
The entrance to her father lab (she read and see the picture and make the connexion)
The Door Puzzle (with the cryptex she have unlocked on the boat)
The Color Puzzle (with the association of several informations)
The mystery of Himiko (it's a puzzle) she understand the legend
Using a trap as a defense system is also a puzzle.

Understanding the mystery behind the myth,believe to the unbelievable and discovering that's what it is to Becoming a Tomb Raider in my eyes. The new film stay true to this.

Last edited by Ellioft; 13-07-18 at 11:23.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-18, 11:58   #12816
biscuits
Professor

I found it disappointing how she barely used the bow and pickaxe. They made up for it with all the cool kickboxing movie Lara does tho
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-18, 12:12   #12817
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I found it disappointing how she barely used the bow and pickaxe. They made up for it with all the cool kickboxing movie Lara does tho
The pickaxe I don't really mind is wasn't much used, but the bow was definitely underused: two scenes and that was it.

But for the sequel I would prefer for her to use the duals, really
Though a bow could also be used on a stealth sequence and in solving puzzles and setting traps, kinda like the games. That would be cool
Old 13-07-18, 12:27   #12818
iWANEX
Golden

I watched the movie last night with my brother and I still like it. It has its problems but Alicia was amazing and the effects looked better somehow (?). Weird. The tomb escape is glorious and the parachute scene is also really good. I think it drags a little bit when Richard shows up but (unpopular opinion) Himiko's myth worked for me in the movie. The color puzzle was cool and the traps were exciting. I really like the film and I hope they greenlight a sequel.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-18, 12:31   #12819
Ellioft
Professor

Well for me I like the fact she use the bow only when it's necessary.She's not like in the game killing 400 mens
Old 13-07-18, 12:55   #12820
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
I watched the movie last night with my brother and I still like it. It has its problems but Alicia was amazing and the effects looked better somehow (?). Weird. The tomb escape is glorious and the parachute scene is also really good. I think it drags a little bit when Richard shows up but (unpopular opinion) Himiko's myth worked for me in the movie. The color puzzle was cool and the traps were exciting. I really like the film and I hope they greenlight a sequel.
I agree. I don't like that she does not have supernatural powers, but the twist that she was actually a good ruler that sacrificed herself for the sake of her people and the world, when history painted her as evil and betrayed by her generals, really worked for me.