www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 19-07-18, 16:30   #12911
2001LC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma Holiday View Post
LOLOLOL he has 2 good toes left on his remaining foot hahaha
He is a god damn regenerator like in Dead Space! Someone must throw him in a volcano!
2001LC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-18, 22:56   #12912
foodfather
Student

Really solid week 1. Double what Red Sparrow did.
foodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-18, 00:41   #12913
Aylin
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
It's a gossip movie site they already saying a lot of bull**** about the production of TR before and nothing has been true.
Yep,it's the same site that had all those blinds about Alicia being on medication,delaying the production,going into rehab ,all stuff coming from tumblrland (Fassy's unhinged stans).

Quote:
This article is just the non sence about Alicia not beeing Lara Croft in the sequel we already have at the start. Wich we know isn't true.
It was actually copied from that other BI site (CDAN)!
CDAN is the site that first published a blind about Alicia being ashamed of the movie because she knew it was awful and her performance would have been trashed by critics lol (other stuff copied from fan forums and tumblr),then when TR didn't top BP at the box office,they promptly had a new blind claiming how they were "right" (I don't know about what.. lol) and that producers wanted to replace her. It was the source of the article you're talking about. The other day they had another blind about this franchise that did horribly at the BO and a streaming service that wanted to make a film and a series. But once again they just don't know how to get rid of the lead actress!
What is funny is that CDAN had this last blind because they were probably tipped off about Alicia working with netflix,so that was the pretext,while whoever copied that **** for blindgossip evidently doesn't even know that,LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
Streaming might be a good option for the US judging by ancillary sales more people might watch it streaming then did in the cinema. It could have a limited cinema release in certain territories too and still perform well. I wouldn't mind a streaming film I do want Alicia back though. I don't think there will be a sequel anytime soon though. The US performance just didn't do well enough for them to greenlight a movie right away. Maybe after Shadow's numbers come in.
A tv series would be the best option,imo. To be honest,it's not far-fetched to think that it's the reason why Alicia is currently working with netflix. In any case,netflix -like amazon- is really upping their game in the movie business as well. Streep and Oldman are doing a film with Soderbergh,and they have just produced Scorsese's The Irishman . And since last year they have been a presence in the Oscar season too. They're distributing the new Alfonso Cuaron's film that Cannes wanted in competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
Damn that’s a lot of dvds and blue-rays. Well done y’all!

http://bit.ly/2LslO7r
Is this a total number for UK and US territories?

Last edited by Aylin; 20-07-18 at 01:24.
Aylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-18, 01:03   #12914
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylin View Post
Yep,it's the same site that had all those blinds about Alicia being on medication,delaying the production,going into rehab ,all stuff coming from tumblrland (Fassy's unhinged stans).

It was actually copied from that other BI site (CDAN)! :vlov:
CDAN is the site that first published a blind about Alicia being ashamed of the movie because she knew it was awful and her performance would have been trashed by critics lol (other stuff copied from fan forums and tumblr),then when TR didn't top BP at the box office,they promptly had a new blind claiming how they were "right" (I don't know about what.. lol) and that producers wanted to replace her. It was the source of the article you're talking about. The other day they had another blind about this franchise that did horribly at the BO and a streaming service that wanted to make a film and a series. But once again they just don't know how to get rid of the lead actress! :vlov:
What is funny is that CDAN had this last blind because they were probably tipped off about Alicia working with netflix,so that was the pretext,while whoever copied that **** for blindgossip evidently doesn't even know that,LOL.
This is hilarious because if there was something that critics and basically everyone who saw the movie, was that Alicia performance was top notch, regardless on their opinions on the movie and on how Lara was written.
Old 20-07-18, 02:25   #12915
laracroftswest
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylin View Post
Is this a total number for UK and US territories?
Just U.K.!
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-18, 08:55   #12916
OrangeFr3ak
Archaeologist

Let’s not forget inflight entertainment too, given the amount of flights at any moment.
OrangeFr3ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-18, 09:27   #12917
SoraSakai
Professor

This film really missed so many aspects of the entire franchise.

Dangerous wild animals? Missing
Supernatural creatures? Missing
Fantastical environments? Missing (in my opinion anyways)
Intelligent puzzles? Missing (the light puzzle didn't make any sense, the door puzzle wasn't even explained, neither was the puzzle she did at the beginning.... the key was the closest intelligent puzzle we got...)
Magic? Gone. (Pllllleeeeaase stop saying it made the film more grounded lol who the F likes tomb raider because it's more 'grounded'... the hell is wrong with you?)

I really really really hope with a sequel, they fix ALL of this.

Make Lara fight a bear.
Make Lara discover a supernatural legend!

I'm sure a sequel could fix all of these issues I have. Seeing all the posters in Yokohama for the upcoming DVD release has me praying it does well enough for the sequel to get greenlit.
Old 20-07-18, 09:44   #12918
Portugalraider
Professor

The light puzzle was clever IMO (uses the meaning of colours and the solution is smart, easy but not too obvious, while also having to be quick as to not die) and explaining the karakuri wall explicitly would be pointless exposition. We know it was related to the Karakuri puzzle Lara solved in the Endurance, and since Lara was able to solve it, she probably can solve the wall as well. Explaining how it exactly worked wouldn't add anything meaningful.

As for dangerous animals, you only had wolves and they weren't really that memorable. Not like, say, the bear in RotTR. I think it would be more interesting to see Lara hunting or fishing something to eat, to see her survival skills. But for a sequel we definitely need at least a bear.
Old 20-07-18, 10:25   #12919
SoraSakai
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
The light puzzle was clever IMO (uses the meaning of colours and the solution is smart, easy but not too obvious, while also having to be quick as to not die) and explaining the karakuri wall explicitly would be pointless exposition. We know it was related to the Karakuri puzzle Lara solved in the Endurance, and since Lara was able to solve it, she probably can solve the wall as well. Explaining how it exactly worked wouldn't add anything meaningful.

As for dangerous animals, you only had wolves and they weren't really that memorable. Not like, say, the bear in RotTR. I think it would be more interesting to see Lara hunting or fishing something to eat, to see her survival skills. But for a sequel we definitely need at least a bear.
Lara has fought wolves, bats, snakes, dog, dinosaurs, aliens and undead guardians. I wasn't just referring to the reboot in 2013, but rather the franchise as a whole. My first sentence reads "aspects of the entire franchise."

Come on... it was the first sentence you read... lol
Film is a visual media. Indiana Jones explains all of the puzzles he comes across visually and without irritating exposition. The first 5 minutes of "Raiders of the Lost Arc" does this incredibly. Explaining how a puzzle works and is solved helps keep us engaged instead of "wtf was that crap?".

The light puzzle confused me. I didn't understand anything about what the colors were or why unlocking it would even be accessible inside it...? I thought in the film Himiko's traps were designed to keep the infected people INSIDE the tomb... yet the key to get out of a trap is literally right there...? So she only kinda sorta cared about keeping them inside...? So confused lol it's a stupid scene.

We all need to stop pretending to like things that we know deep down we didn't like. Point out the problems and ask for a better film. Good is not the same thing as amazing and I don't think we should settle for anything less.

I agree not showing her surviving was a missed opportunity too.
Old 20-07-18, 10:54   #12920
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
Lara has fought wolves, bats, snakes, dog, dinosaurs, aliens and undead guardians. I wasn't just referring to the reboot in 2013, but rather the franchise as a whole. My first sentence reads "aspects of the entire franchise."
The thing is that this wasn't a adaptation of aspects of the whole franchise like, say, the AJ movies. They were specifically basing the movie from TReboot, and in that game animals weren't unfortunately that much of a threat. There should have although been a supernatural Stormguard, though.

Quote:
Film is a visual media. Indiana Jones explains all of the puzzles he comes across visually and without irritating exposition. The first 5 minutes of "Raiders of the Lost Arc" does this incredibly. Explaining how a puzzle works and is solved helps keep us engaged instead of "wtf was that crap?".
But the how the puzzle is solved is indeed shown: you have several karakuri puzzles, which you have rotate to unlock a mechanism in each puzzle, and solving all puzzles open the door. It is all shown, because again, the movie directly compares those puzzles to the smaller one Lara solves in the Endurance. You don't need to know the specific solution to each individual karakuri in the wall. Just how it can be solved, and you see that.

Quote:
The light puzzle confused me. I didn't understand anything about what the colors were or why unlocking it would even be accessible inside it...? I thought in the film Himiko's traps were designed to keep the infected people INSIDE the tomb... yet the key to get out of a trap is literally right there...? So she only kinda sorta cared about keeping them inside...? So confused lol it's a stupid scene.
The keeping inside stuff is just one more reason Richard's presence just tears the movie apart. It doesn't even make sense for anything to be to prevent the things of going out of the tomb. Had that line been cut, and everything would be better.
But the puzzle is not that confusing: colours have always been associated with a meaning, with green being a colour that symbolizes life. They needed the colour that symbolizes life and there was no green gem. There were a blue and yellow one though, and blue+yellow=green. Simple as that.

Quote:
We all need to stop pretending to like things that we know deep down we didn't like. Point out the problems and ask for a better film. Good is not the same thing as amazing and I don't think we should settle for anything less.
But, perhaps people liked those things? At least, I know I liked the puzzles in the movie, and I know I didn't miss animals at all in this movie, considering the game it was being based on. As I know I liked this version of Lara much more than the one present in TReboot, bar her motivation. And I know I liked the plot-twist that Himiko was not evil, but a self-sacrificing leader.

As I also know I hated Lara's motivation, I hated everything Richard-related in general, didn't like the lack of supernatural stuff, especially in Himiko's powers, and was sad Yamatai didn't look more like game Yamatai with all the Japanese architecture, though it kinda makes sense for not being much of it, since movie Yamatai as a prison and not the Himiko's kingdom.

Remember that the problems you personally have with the movie may not be the same problems others have. So don't think that people are lying to themselves if they don't identify something you don't like as problematic to them.