www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 27-09-19, 17:30   #14811
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I really love the way this fan base always believes Tomb Raider can't stand a chance against other films. The faith in the franchise is so endearing
I know, right?v

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
LOL no, you want to be the first one people watched to satisfy their hunger.
True, but here's the thing: after having the first tastaste, people might be left craving for more. Three months is enough time apart for people to develop the "Adventure" taste and want the next big "Adventure flavor". Add the "female lead" and a possibly "horror" seasonings, and you have something different enough to make people want to try it, while still being the Adventure flavor they crave.

Because if 3 months weren't enough to make people want a similar thing again, you wouldn't have basically a superhero movie topping the charts everytime one was releases, even if reviews were terrible.
Old 28-09-19, 03:03   #14812
b.gluch
Relic Hunter

Do people even know what Uncharted is outside the gaming community?
Old 28-09-19, 07:23   #14813
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I'm more concerned over the state that the Uncharted film is in rather than Tomb Raider to be honest. That whole production hasn't bode well from the start. I wish it the best and hope it performs well but I'm not a fan of the premise or casting and there has been a lot of set backs with the development.

Both films will suffer in the general audience because of preconceived notions on video game movies being cursed and Indiana Jones opening the same year competition and comparisons will be made its a given. It's nothing new, Tomb Raider will be just fine it's going for something tonally different than what the latter are with a female lead and a more mature audience demographic with an already established universe and character that also isn't an origin story. It has enough bonuses for it to stand out.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 28-09-19 at 07:32.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-19, 10:44   #14814
andre_costa
Explorer

And don't forget... Uncharted will likely be an origin story, since Tom Holland is set to play Nathan Drake. Tomb Raider is done with that. Also, I believe the majority of fans are not excited at all, from what I've seen. They wanted an older actor and a totally fresh new story (since Nathan has as "origin story" in Uncharted 3 and 4)... And Tom Holland's fans can't do much alone... Look at every movie that every Marvel star is doing outside Marvel.. They can't deliver a movie like they do with Marvel movies.
I'm calling it... The Uncharted movie will likely bomb
Old 28-09-19, 12:05   #14815
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

More adventure films sound good to me. It seems like such a dying genre nowadays there's a market there that is dying to be saturated be it with Lara, Indy or Nathan.
Old 28-09-19, 13:06   #14816
Child Of Ocean
Hobbyist

Don’t underestimate that Uncharted film.
I’m sure Sony Pictures will give it bigger budget and better promotion than the new Tomb Raider film will get. Sony has a big plan about adapting their video game IPs into movie and this is their first step. Judging from their choice on director and lead actor, they have big hope on this film.
As a director, Travis Knight has a much more impressive resume and more experience at directing blockbuster than Ben.
Yes, this film can’t survive only by the support from Tom Holland’s fans, but Tom Holland can generate huge attention on the Internet and it can give this film a big boost.
If they want to make the new TR film a success, (other than a good script and a good cinematography team) they need to make it interesting and different. They won’t give it a huge budget and make it a visual effect wonder, but add more horror elements may be a good idea. It fits the theme of the game. I’m sure Ben and Amy is more experienced at this. IT, A Quiet Place, The Conjuring and many other horror hits prove that people are interested on them.
Also, the last TR film’s online promotion is really bad. It couldn’t generate any buzz online at all. I hope this time they can fix it.

Last edited by Child Of Ocean; 28-09-19 at 13:23.
Child Of Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-19, 13:55   #14817
Portugalraider
Professor

Again, even if it does get a bigger budget and better promotion, both movies are far apart enough that one won't "consume" the audience of the other. Again, I am more "worried" about Shang-Shi and possible the live-action Disney than Uncharted.

Besides, videogame movies have such a reputation that being a popular franchise with a big budget movie and big marketing campaign doesn't mean it will be a success anyways. Assassins Creed was the hottest thing when the movie came out, and if I remember correctly, Ubisoft delivered well with its marketing. Still made less money that Tomb Raider a few years later.
Old 28-09-19, 15:26   #14818
Child Of Ocean
Hobbyist

Assassin's Creed's director has only directed low-budget drama before he directs Assassin's Creed. I said Uncharted is a threat we shouldn't underestimate because it has a promising cast & crew so far and its genre & theme will be very similar to Tomb Raider, if the next Tomb Raider doesn't change its direction.

Shang-Chi definitely is the biggest threat so far. Disney's Cruella will be released on May 28 of 2021 and it has already started shooting. If that Disney live-action film that will be released on March 12 is The Little Mermaid, they really need to start shooting asap since there will be an extremely huge amount of visual effect and post-production work need to be done for this film. The casting process of The Little Mermaid is taking longer time than Disney originally expected. I won't be surprised if they skip that March 21 release date or put a less important film on that date (like this year's Dumbo)(Some of the recently rumored films that Disney is considering to make a live-action version: Bambi, Snow White, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Pinocchio, Hercules, Tarzan, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Treasure Planet, Lilo & Stitch, Jungle Book sequel, Aladdin sequel......).

Anyway, 2021 is a really competitive year in film. It has 4 Marvel films (Shang-Chi, Spider-Man, Thor, Doctor Strange), two DC films (The Batman, The Suicide Squad), three Disney live-action films (Cruella, one of the other two might be The Little Mermaid), a Fast & Furious film, a Jurassic World film (with its original actors come back), a Fantastic Beast film, a Mission: Impossible film, a John Wick film, an Avatar film, an Indian Jones film (highly likely to delay), and Blumhouse & Warner Bro. both will try to capitalize on the horror film market

The only way for Tomb Raider to break through is to make it interesting & special. Go for a Horror + John Wick/Atomic Blone-esque bloody action film direction is the way to go

Last edited by Child Of Ocean; 29-09-19 at 02:38.
Child Of Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-19, 16:26   #14819
joona
Historian

We have promising names listed, I trust them.
joona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-19, 17:34   #14820
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

In my opinion, Uncharted is not a real threat. The production is being a disaster (they have changed the director 5 times!), Fans hate Drake's choice and I think the movie could even be delayed. The movie tells nothing new ... and Drake is too much like Indiana Jones. Also Uncharted right now is not so popular. On the other hand, if everything goes Ok and the movie opens in December ... does not affect TR. Jumanji was also an adventure movie and opened in December and did not affect TR.

Shan Chi I think he will be the great rival (China Boxoffice). Disney's live action would be the killer. But I think that The Little Mermaid is too big in terms of CGI for to release in March. All live action are filmed much earlier.

Anyway, if they focus the movie with Lara Croft, dual pistols, great female hero, dark aventure ... it's a totally different target to all the movies of the date! In 2018 it was worse having Red Gorrion very close ... also a movie of a strong woman.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 28-09-19 at 17:44.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote