www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 14-02-20, 19:57   #15831
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

It's better having three release in the same year in my opinion, they'll all inevitably be compared to eachother but Tomb Raider and it's female lead with a possible snowy setting and female villain will stand out more than Uncharted in my opinion when compared to Indy 5.

If it had just been Tomb Raider vs Uncharted I think there'd be a more negative reception. I also think Uncharted will be light and comedic adventure and Tomb Raider will be more dark and gritty based on the directors and games they're based on.

I do think Uncharted will make more money but I think Tomb Raider will be a good performer in the overseas and international markets when compared to the US.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 14-02-20 at 20:01.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-20, 20:06   #15832
SnatchingEdges
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
It's better having three release in the same year in my opinion, they'll all inevitably be compared to eachother but Tomb Raider and it's female lead with a possible snowy setting and female villain will stand out more than Uncharted in my opinion when compared to Indy 5.

If it had just been Tomb Raider vs Uncharted I think there'd be a more negative outcome.
Honestly, I don't think TR will be the standout just because it's a female lead. Apparently, female action movies have to be perfect or otherwise they're just political crap. I'm in another videogame forum who already are complaining because these new films are feminist bs and indoctrination.
Old 14-02-20, 20:28   #15833
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider 2018 isn't an in your face feminist film in fact I find it sad that because she's a female it makes the film unique, because there aren't nearly enough equal lead roles in Hollywood in this modern age there's been this huge surge recently trying to invalidate such films because they are offering something out of the usual norm than the average blockbuster.

Lara to me is a more iconic name then Drake to a wider audience and I do think there's enough going for it to set it apart from the usual blockbuster. Inevitably Indiana Jones is going to be THE movie if they are in competition but I think Tomb Raider won't be going for the same ten as the other films and I do feel that outside the US Lara is a more recognisable name to the general audience than Nathan Drake.

There will be different audience ages too that come into play too, TR is likely to be the more mature of the three with an audience in the 25+ range and playing to them whereas Indy and Uncharted will probably target a family audience, also the budgets for Indy and Uncharted will probably be much larger than TR but also present more of a risk especially where Uncharted is concerned. Indy 5 is probably going to break $1billion at the box office whereas Tomb Raider is more likely to come in at the $200million mark.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 14-02-20 at 20:32.
Old 15-02-20, 09:44   #15834
FanosCroft
Professor

so having 4 locations this time, and a bigger focus on supernatural and, of course, they gonna add some memorable set pieces from the games (avalanche, bear attack, flood) which means more CGI, this will have a bigger budget than the previous film omg
Old 15-02-20, 23:00   #15835
TombRaiderLover
Tomb Raider

Anybody got the video of Alicia Vikander and a snooty journalist on the verge of arguing over the pronunciation of Lara's name? I saw it on Twitter recently, but now I cannot seem to find it.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it!

Last edited by TombRaiderLover; 15-02-20 at 23:03.
TombRaiderLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-20, 23:05   #15836
Rai

Care to share?
Old 15-02-20, 23:16   #15837
Tomb Raidering
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Care to share?
Iíd like to watch too! I reckon it was Laura Craft...
Old 15-02-20, 23:33   #15838
TombRaiderLover
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Care to share?
Here you go.

It's less amusing in context (I originally saw it via a 15 sec Twitter video and it appeared to me that Alicia was getting annoyed), but never mind. It's pretty much at the beginning of the interview.
Old 16-02-20, 00:00   #15839
Rai

Grew up with the games but still doesn't know how to pronounce Lara? Sure, Sure. Yeah, that would have been more amusing in a short Twitter video. But yeah, I can tell she was slightly miffed at that. I'll watch the rest of the video tomorrow. Thanks for sharing. That trailer made want to watch the film all over again.
Old 16-02-20, 10:06   #15840
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I've been thinking a lot about Lara's look this time and if they're keeping with the end of the last film I wouldn't mind her keeping black leather as a signature look with her braid and pistols. I think I will actually pass out from happiness if I see her geared up with that iconography in the next movie.

I'm also thinking if they do the winter scenes perhaps not as much training is required for Alicia because her body will be mostly covered in winter clothing and they can use padding.

I think the rumoured locations make sense now with it being Rise and Shadow too. They have the snowy environment of Matroosberg but also still have the jungles and mountainous areas for the Shadow jungles and even desert areas for Syria. If they chose to do that with the setting.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 16-02-20 at 11:24.