www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 17-02-18, 10:09   #8811
James_Rutland
Tomb Raider

The score reminds me of the guy that was going to do the TR2013 music before Jason Graves.

That rapids sequence has me seriously hyped. Yes it's heavily CGI, but it looks fantastic IMO. When I see Alicia in the actual scenes too she just feels so right. I love her.

HER PARACHUTING IS SO CLOSE TO THE GAME.

Last edited by James_Rutland; 17-02-18 at 10:11.
James_Rutland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 10:19   #8812
Rai

Are we sure this is meant to be out yet? I'm not seeing any official channels promoting it.
Old 17-02-18, 10:20   #8813
Ellioft

I just woke up and I have seen the rapids sequence and wow it looks really great, the CGI doesn't bother me at all

When she said "Really" she sounds like Emma Watson

I'm excited to finally know the lenght of the movie, more than 2 hours a lot of time to properly focus on Lara's character and past.
Old 17-02-18, 10:21   #8814
James_Rutland
Tomb Raider

Where does Google get that 2hr 2 minutes runtime from? If true I'm so pleased. But I don't want to hold out hope until I see something official stating it.
James_Rutland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 10:47   #8815
Grimaldi
Professor

All of this new footage is excellent.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 11:12   #8816
lizardspock110
Professor

okay I just watched the tomb clip and GAH its so perfect!!
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 11:21   #8817
2001LC20

Heres something you could find interesting source=Xbox official magazine

1)how much inspiration did you take from the 2013 tomb Raider game – are we right in thinking that the story of the movie is based almost entirely on that game?

We’ve taken a lot of inspiration from that game, but I feel that we’ve also created our own story for the movie that’s separate from the game, whilst still drawing inspiration from that piece.

2)how about Rise Of the tomb Raider , did you dip into that at all?

Some of it, yeah, but most of it is from the first game I would say, and then our own story has been created around that. But there are some inspirations from Rise in there as well.

3)From the trailer it’s clear that you’ve gone beyond just telling the story on the island. you’ve expanded into London and various other locations. have you dipped into stories from the other games in the series to write the extra story, or is this your own version of Lara’s backstory?

This is our own version of an origins story of Lara Croft for the big screen.

4)how has it been working with alicia Vikander?

It’s been wonderful. She’s such a hardworking actress. She really dived into it head-first and worked really hard with her trainer to get in shape for everything she had to be put through, and with the stunt co-ordinators and the fight co-ordinators. She really worked her ass off to get into the Lara Croft character and to get ready for everything that we had coming for her.

5)the training looks like it was really intense. Was it important to you to make Lara believably tough, or was that something that alicia wanted to do herself?

I think we both agreed – we had a very similar vision of what Lara Croft should be, and we wanted her to be this strong and confident hero, but also be vulnerable and imperfect, and I think that’s what makes her likeable and relatable.

6)how much experience did the rest of the cast have with the game? Did you make them play it through before filming as a research tool?

It was in some parts, for me and Alicia. I know Alicia played the game a lot. Also, in some parts when discussing scenes with the cinematographer or production design it was useful. But then we also tried to put the game aside and made what we thought was the best movie version of Lara’s story.

7)the tomb Raider game is known for pulling no punches when it comes to hurting Lara. she gets stabbed in the first hour of playing, falls huge distances, takes hard hits. how much was that tough journey something you wanted to portray on screen?

Yeah, that was really important [laughs]. When she falls, she gets hurt, she gets bruised, cut… but she picks herself up and keeps fighting. I think that’s something that Alicia brings to it as well – she’s got this great authenticity to everything she does. It feels very grounded, and we wanted to make it a bold, gritty and real experience.

8)and how did alicia handle the punishment that Lara takes?

[laughs] She handled it really well! I felt that she never complained, and she never quit, and she pushed herself. It was more us that had to say “okay, we can’t do that, we’ll have to back down on this one!” [laughs] We put her through a lot, she was hanging from wires, and jumping and sliding. We had this giant gimball where we built our version of the Endurance [the ship at the start of the game], and on that we had wind, rain and water cannons, and it was tipping back and forth while Alicia and Daniel Wu were on it. We even threw her down an Olympic white water rapids course with her hands tied. She was game!

9)that sounds pretty intense! she did most of her stunts, is that right?

Yeah, she did a lot. She was in all of these situations, and then of course we had [stunt] people for if there was stuff that was too dangerous.

10)Was there anything that you had to take out entirely because it pushed things a bit too far? Did you ever say “okay, maybe we can’t throw her out of a plane”?

[laughs] No I don’t feel that we held back on anything here. We went all-out on this.

11)Like Indiana Jones – which I know you’ve talked about before as an inspiration to you as a filmmaker – things can get pretty weird with the tomb Raider games. there are gods, magic and all kinds of supernatural elements. Did you try and work these things in, or are you going for a more ‘realistic’ world?

[pauses] We wanted this Tomb Raider to be gritty, real and authentic. That’s the kind of vibe that we’re going for in this movie.

12)Movie adaptations of videogames are notoriously tough to get right. What do you think makes this tomb Raider movie different, and do you think fans will be pleased with what you’ve done?

I think so. I think both fans of the game and the general audience will be pleased, and enjoy seeing this. It has huge scope and scale, and incredible action, and a kick-ass heroine. And then it has Alicia Vikander playing this part in a very grounded, visceral way – I think that is something that the audience is going to enjoy.

13)What do you think will surprise fans of the games when they watch this movie?

I think fans are going to like Lara as a character, and Alicia’s take on her. I think they’ll be surprised by the emotionality of the movie, and the human relationship that we have in the movie, that I think maybe you’re not used to seeing in a videogame movie.

14)at the very end of the game Lara finally gets two guns, and it’s an iconic scene. We see her get them in the trailer, which seems like a really cool moment. Will fans get the payoff for that?

Absolutely, and not just for the fans, because I love that moment too [laughs]. It was one of the first ideas that we had when we first started talking about this story, we wanted that moment in there.

15)Will she be able to wield the two guns in the movie, or is this all about going back to basics with a bow – which, of course, is also a big part of Lara’s adventure?

Yes, it is. Sorry, I don’t think I can say any more! [laughs]
2001LC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 11:53   #8818
Cezar
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001LC20 View Post
Heres something you could find interesting source=Xbox official magazine

1)how much inspiration did you take from the 2013 tomb Raider game – are we right in thinking that the story of the movie is based almost entirely on that game?

We’ve taken a lot of inspiration from that game, but I feel that we’ve also created our own story for the movie that’s separate from the game, whilst still drawing inspiration from that piece.

2)how about Rise Of the tomb Raider , did you dip into that at all?

Some of it, yeah, but most of it is from the first game I would say, and then our own story has been created around that. But there are some inspirations from Rise in there as well.

3)From the trailer it’s clear that you’ve gone beyond just telling the story on the island. you’ve expanded into London and various other locations. have you dipped into stories from the other games in the series to write the extra story, or is this your own version of Lara’s backstory?

This is our own version of an origins story of Lara Croft for the big screen.

4)how has it been working with alicia Vikander?

It’s been wonderful. She’s such a hardworking actress. She really dived into it head-first and worked really hard with her trainer to get in shape for everything she had to be put through, and with the stunt co-ordinators and the fight co-ordinators. She really worked her ass off to get into the Lara Croft character and to get ready for everything that we had coming for her.

5)the training looks like it was really intense. Was it important to you to make Lara believably tough, or was that something that alicia wanted to do herself?

I think we both agreed – we had a very similar vision of what Lara Croft should be, and we wanted her to be this strong and confident hero, but also be vulnerable and imperfect, and I think that’s what makes her likeable and relatable.

6)how much experience did the rest of the cast have with the game? Did you make them play it through before filming as a research tool?

It was in some parts, for me and Alicia. I know Alicia played the game a lot. Also, in some parts when discussing scenes with the cinematographer or production design it was useful. But then we also tried to put the game aside and made what we thought was the best movie version of Lara’s story.

7)the tomb Raider game is known for pulling no punches when it comes to hurting Lara. she gets stabbed in the first hour of playing, falls huge distances, takes hard hits. how much was that tough journey something you wanted to portray on screen?

Yeah, that was really important [laughs]. When she falls, she gets hurt, she gets bruised, cut… but she picks herself up and keeps fighting. I think that’s something that Alicia brings to it as well – she’s got this great authenticity to everything she does. It feels very grounded, and we wanted to make it a bold, gritty and real experience.

8)and how did alicia handle the punishment that Lara takes?

[laughs] She handled it really well! I felt that she never complained, and she never quit, and she pushed herself. It was more us that had to say “okay, we can’t do that, we’ll have to back down on this one!” [laughs] We put her through a lot, she was hanging from wires, and jumping and sliding. We had this giant gimball where we built our version of the Endurance [the ship at the start of the game], and on that we had wind, rain and water cannons, and it was tipping back and forth while Alicia and Daniel Wu were on it. We even threw her down an Olympic white water rapids course with her hands tied. She was game!

9)that sounds pretty intense! she did most of her stunts, is that right?

Yeah, she did a lot. She was in all of these situations, and then of course we had [stunt] people for if there was stuff that was too dangerous.

10)Was there anything that you had to take out entirely because it pushed things a bit too far? Did you ever say “okay, maybe we can’t throw her out of a plane”?

[laughs] No I don’t feel that we held back on anything here. We went all-out on this.

11)Like Indiana Jones – which I know you’ve talked about before as an inspiration to you as a filmmaker – things can get pretty weird with the tomb Raider games. there are gods, magic and all kinds of supernatural elements. Did you try and work these things in, or are you going for a more ‘realistic’ world?

[pauses] We wanted this Tomb Raider to be gritty, real and authentic. That’s the kind of vibe that we’re going for in this movie.

12)Movie adaptations of videogames are notoriously tough to get right. What do you think makes this tomb Raider movie different, and do you think fans will be pleased with what you’ve done?

I think so. I think both fans of the game and the general audience will be pleased, and enjoy seeing this. It has huge scope and scale, and incredible action, and a kick-ass heroine. And then it has Alicia Vikander playing this part in a very grounded, visceral way – I think that is something that the audience is going to enjoy.

13)What do you think will surprise fans of the games when they watch this movie?

I think fans are going to like Lara as a character, and Alicia’s take on her. I think they’ll be surprised by the emotionality of the movie, and the human relationship that we have in the movie, that I think maybe you’re not used to seeing in a videogame movie.

14)at the very end of the game Lara finally gets two guns, and it’s an iconic scene. We see her get them in the trailer, which seems like a really cool moment. Will fans get the payoff for that?

Absolutely, and not just for the fans, because I love that moment too [laughs]. It was one of the first ideas that we had when we first started talking about this story, we wanted that moment in there.

15)Will she be able to wield the two guns in the movie, or is this all about going back to basics with a bow – which, of course, is also a big part of Lara’s adventure?

Yes, it is. Sorry, I don’t think I can say any more! [laughs]
These quoted words - who has said that?
Cezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-18, 11:56   #8819
Ellioft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezar View Post
These quoted words - who has said that?
It's an interview of Roar Uthaug.
Old 17-02-18, 11:59   #8820
2001LC20

an interviewer is talking to Roar Uthaug
you can find it in the lastest issue of Xbox official magazine

Last edited by 2001LC20; 17-02-18 at 12:05.
2001LC20 is offline   Reply With Quote