www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 01-05-14, 10:46   #541
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Good news! Lara is finally dying!

Like in TR2-5 originals, Lara screams one time in free fall (I believe that continous screaming in TR1 was a bit silly), and immediately dies on ground. Also same thing happens on a "dry" swandive. Fortunately, now I'm in the process of converting state machine to operate directly with states (not animations), so adding new Lara conditions is fairly easy.

@vobject: Absolutely, I think we should have some kind of automated compilation and release system to allow people to use "nightly" builds. This way, more people could be involved in testing fresh features and we'll get more feedback. There should be a way to do this with SF, as sometimes I stumble onto nigthly builds of some projects that are loaded directly on SF servers.

I have tested your build, and it runs perfectly on my PC; I wonder why it doesn't on Dustie's. Could it be that some intel-exclusive features are set inside source itself? For example, in Bullet engine - maybe it defines intel optimization somewhere, which rules out AMD processors. Because it seems that Dustie was able to launch it just before Bullet physics were added to engine.

@Dustie: you might try to do that, but it's REAL frustration, because it took me ages to understand how to compile with MinGW! All this compiling business is so complicated, involving lots of command-line parameters, using different utilities like make and cmake... It was written by geeks and for geeks (sometimes I think that they wrote it this way to scare out normal people! ). I never was able to compile it with make/cmake, I only use internal "Build" button in CodeBlocks; you can try to install CodeBlocks, download SF repository snapshot, create a CodeBlocks project from it, set-up libraries and search directories, and then it should work. The problem is, I don't remember all of the steps myself! You can use tutorial from ModDB, but it's a bit outdated, because new sources and libraries were added since then.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 11:13   #542
GFY2013
Archaeologist

This project is amazing!
Umm..sorry for my ignorance, but how to open levels?
When I want to run engine.exe, it freezes all the time..

Last edited by GFY2013; 01-05-14 at 11:47.
GFY2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 13:25   #543
TeslaRus
Student

Default code update

Quote:
When I want to run engine.exe, it freezes all the time..
maybe You need to add stream_buffer_size = 128; in audio section in config.lua
Quote:
Umm..sorry for my ignorance, but how to open levels?
First way: open config.lua and find strings like this: cvars.game_level = "data/tr1/data/LEVEL1.PHD";
You can writes here path to the level You need; Level will be load on engine start.
Second way: type in console map "data/tr1/data/LEVEL1.PHD" or other.
Third way: type in console load e1m1 - it is a save name.

About AMD crashes: maybe reasons are in intel optimization and GCC optimizations (or bugs in AMD support in new GCC version). May be old GCC versions using will helps.

Update:
I change triggers script activation system and add new scripts: triggers_script.lua and doors_script.lua and rewrite system_scripts.lua. +Added auto-generation for triggers and doors scriprs from floordata in level loading.
TeslaRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-14, 15:23   #544
GFY2013
Archaeologist

^Thanks, worked!
Old 02-05-14, 22:57   #545
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Introducing health and air points functionality!

As you can see in this demo, we now have fully functional health and air meters, which work exactly as in classic Tomb Raiders. Currently, damage is only applied when Lara drops from big heights, all other potential threats still leave Lara alive. Air bar for now works by itself, without consequential health drain, but we'll sort it out later.
Old 02-05-14, 23:41   #546
Dustie
Relic Hunter

*falls*
*dies*
get's an injection of medi-pack
~Ahhh...!~
*awakes from the dead*

Those falling videos remind me of Goat Simulator for some reason, going all sadistic on Lara, droping her from heights over and over
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 07:06   #547
Ado Croft
Historian

OMG, Lwmte - I'm shocked. What was that? I still don't believe that. Anyway, really good progress. I'm happy like a little child
Tesla Rus: I have tested your previous source code and i must say excellent. I like the way of trigger system which you used. And also doors work great - all it is better than in original engine. Keep up the great work, guys!
Ado Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-14, 21:05   #548
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Ok guys, here is the test build for you to test out full health, air and sprint values functionality! It now works exactly like in old Tomb Raiders!

Also, for this build, I have polished out physics a bit to look more like authentic TRs. However, few optimizations were made to streamline it - for example, recovery from smash jump happens a lot faster ("hard landing" animation was replaced with "light landing" animation), also step back into wall doesn't aburptly ends in idle animation. Maybe something else, but honestly I don't remember!

Important: to test out medipacks, you should add these lines into config.lua:
Code:
bind(act.bigmedi, KEY_6);
bind(act.smallmedi, KEY_7);
After this, you'll be able to restore Lara's health. To resurrect her from death, prezz Z key.

I'm not releasing source code yet, as I have to integrate my revision with current TeslaRus revision!

Last edited by Lwmte; 04-05-14 at 21:28.
Old 04-05-14, 22:21   #549
raiderromero
Archaeologist

Wow that is awesome...

inside water enviroment is still flat though

the rest is lovely, i love the sounds it does sound better than anything else and the bar style is so perfect
Old 04-05-14, 22:41   #550
Lwmte
Archaeologist

You mean underwater wave effect? Well, we're still waiting for people to help us out in graphic department! I hope that Cochrane will return to development and help us with updating the renderer.

As it turned out, everything else is developing faster than graphics. Although, usually it happens that renderer is the most developed part (since graphics interests people much more than anything else), in case of OpenTomb it isn't. We already have sound, controls, triggers, scripts, etc., but we still have pretty simple renderer without lighting, shadows, particles, and so on.

About sound... We have an ongoing issue with frequency cut-off above 22 kHz - with external OpenAL lib it sounds normal, while integrated OpenAL version produces less clear and crisp sound. But anyway... also I forgot to mention that I've set chat soundtracks (Lara's home voice, etc.) also to have reberb info applied to them, so they will actually get environmental effect! It sounds much more realistic this way.