www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 12-10-14, 01:34   #911
Mokono
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
On the far perspective, I think there's no problem in loading additional objects not from the level file, but from external file; this way, we can introduce absolutely new objects never seen in old TR games - like aforementioned silencer, flashlight, and so on. But this is REALLY far from now.
It's understandable, considering just how many things are more important and need to be addressed first, although you got me curious here; i mean, would the introduction of sideloaded items or its concept allow for alternative Lara models to be loaded instead of the default model (outfit) used in a level?

Btw, the free camera is one of my favourite features, so i hope it's here to stay. However, i must ask: are there plans to implement dynamic camera movements akin to the latest games? For example, in Crystal games, you use the second analog stick to move the camera freely when Lara's idle, but when she's running, it also controls the direction in which she turns.

Last, but not least, in the config file, there's joy_look_invert_y, but i haven't found mouse_look_invert_y or anything similar. Is there a workaround to invert the y axis when controlling the camera with the mouse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vobject View Post
As a quick fix, the nightly builds now include the necessary DLLs! Pix should now show up. I should fix this properly by using SDL_image library included in the repo (which it is currently not).
Thank you.
Mokono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 11:58   #912
Ado Croft
Historian

I have noticed there is some items which are rendered to 2D in TR1-TR2 map. And also Lara cannot pick up underwater items. I don't know if you have noticed that. But anyway great job. I'm really happy that this engin is getting better and better Good luck
Ado Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 14:25   #913
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Sure, we need classic auto camera in OpenTomb; actually, there is already working implementation by Kurlyak, but it was written for Direct3D - only thing we need is to adapt it to OpenGL. I'm not good at math, so I still hope someone else might do this! As for mouse inversion, I'll look into it, shouldn't be hard to implement.

It is my dream, actually, to be able to load different models instead of default TR ones; we had Tomb Raider Xtra since ages, but still with dull original meshes. Technically, I think, it's possible to use original meshtree as a skeleton and load high-polygon model onto it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ado Croft View Post
I have noticed there is some items which are rendered to 2D in TR1-TR2 map. And also Lara cannot pick up underwater items. I don't know if you have noticed that. But anyway great job. I'm really happy that this engin is getting better and better Good luck
You mean pick-up items? Yes, model override list isn't yet completed, you can actually fix that by modifying scripts/entity/entity_model_ID_override.lua file. This file contains a list of items which should be replaced from sprite to model.

Main problem is TR2 dragon secrets; they have no 3D equivalents. That is, Lara can't pick up sprite items yet, and I have no idea how should they be rendered in inventory. Let's wait for a solution by TeslaRus, cause I have no idea how to fix that!

As for different pick-up states - yeah, I've noticed and already fixed that, check out latest source code update. Also, the bug with multiple pick-ups on intermediate animations is now fixed.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-14, 22:33   #914
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Hello again!

It's been a while since last update - currently, TeslaRus in a business trip to Sochi, and I'm preparing the code for some really cool stuff!

First of all, I've added getEntityMoveType function to be externally called from script. Meaning, now we're able to get Lara environmental state (like on ground, on water, underwater, and such) via script, which actually allows to create trigger types INSIDE the script. While, for example, in classic games or NGLE/TRNG you have predefined set of trigger types, such script layout allows to write down trigger types directly. E.g., I can write "HEAVY_TRIGGER" implementation into triggers_script.lua file, and so on.

Second thing, I've completely re-worked the way gameplay parameters are processed. Before, we had separate entries for health, sprint, air and freeze parameters, but now they all reside in unified array, with unified indexes. Also, it is accompanied by corresponding script functions - getCharacterParam, setCharacterParam and changeCharacterParam. First notifies you about current parameter value, second simply sets parameter value, and third one can either decrease or increase parameter. So, you can now also drain or fulfill HP/AP/SP/FP via console and script! It also means that we're VERY CLOSE to trap programming - only thing that's left to do is function to check two entities' intersection - but I'll leave that for TeslaRus!

You can test new parameter functions in console, like this:

setCharacterParam(player, PARAM_HEALTH, 1000) - same effect as big medkit.
changeCharacterParam(player, PARAM_HEALTH, -10) - drain 10 points of HP. Note that third argument is the negative number - if you'll change it to positive, the function will replenish Lara's HP instead.

P.S.: Also I've completed missing pick-up model list by myself, so latest update should allow you to pick-up all quest items in TR1-2.

Last edited by Lwmte; 15-10-14 at 22:35.
Old 15-10-14, 22:37   #915
liam_garbutt
Hobbyist

I would love to use level editor, especially the next generation one. Does this support the next generation format with all the new updates. There are a few things I would want to mod if I can with the right coding and tools to level editor.
liam_garbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-14, 23:00   #916
Lwmte
Archaeologist

There's actually an entry in the FAQ about this (see it in the second post). We can't replicate NGLE functionality, because it is closed-source software; I still hope that we'll get open source version one day and will manage to learn how to do this and that; for now, unfortunately, it remains in one man's hands.

P.S.: Testing ring inventory functionality!

Actually, I've copy-pasted two lines of code from this project, my poor math knowledge prevents me from doing more... I hope we'll get proper adaptation of this code in OpenTomb soon.
Old 15-10-14, 23:04   #917
liam_garbutt
Hobbyist

I think it looks very good, I just want to add to level editor to make it one of a kind when I create something. You may have to adapt it to something else such as different software, to get that kind of functionality.
liam_garbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-14, 23:37   #918
Zebra
Legend

@Lwmte: Both those updates are awesome ! I'm so excited !
Old 16-10-14, 11:22   #919
Nicklander
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
@Lwmte: Both those updates are awesome ! I'm so excited !
Same here ! Keep on developing !
Nicklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-14, 22:52   #920
Lwmte
Archaeologist

A small yet funny update - camera shake flipeffect implementation!

As in original, effect works only on certain distance when called from entity animcommand (I've set it to 8 squares, as default sound range in TR1). Additionally, you can call screen shake from the script by camShake command - there you can specify both shake power and time. Please note that I'm writing script implementation for all potential flipeffects, because eventually all of trigger commands and types should be called directly from script, not from the main engine code.

Also, TeslaRus is back from his trip, as recently he fixed bug with exiting underwater to wade state - now Lara doesn't jump on top of the water room when state change occurs.