www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 15-09-13, 20:16   #41
MMAN
Professor

I'm not sure which version you have (which changes the install process), but if you want the original music there are patches around that add it the game (with the bonus that you get the TR PC ambient sounds as well).

Unless you've already done that and you're just talking about the PC version as it originally was.
MMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-13, 20:53   #42
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAN View Post
I'm not sure which version you have (which changes the install process), but if you want the original music there are patches around that add it the game (with the bonus that you get the TR PC ambient sounds as well).

Unless you've already done that and you're just talking about the PC version as it originally was.
I know that there are patches, but I tried to install one once and it didn't work. I'm using the Advanced Tomb Raider Installer by gidierre on Windows XP. I really would like to have the music, but I'm not sure if I want to go to the trouble of it.
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-13, 21:31   #43
disapearing-boy
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepman23 View Post
There's also some random switch in here that turns off the swinging axes for no apparent reason...
If you miss the golden idol and reach the final poolroom without it like I once did (and not on my first playthrough!) you have to go back for it. Although the blades are easy to avoid now they used to kill me alot when I was younger.

So it was nice to turn them off when I had to go back. Core really did think ahead.
Old 15-09-13, 22:56   #44
MMAN
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepman23 View Post
I know that there are patches, but I tried to install one once and it didn't work. I'm using the Advanced Tomb Raider Installer by gidierre on Windows XP. I really would like to have the music, but I'm not sure if I want to go to the trouble of it.
Is this from the disk version? If so I thought there was a version of that installer which has the music included.
Old 15-09-13, 23:26   #45
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMAN View Post
Is this from the disk version? If so I thought there was a version of that installer which has the music included.
This is the installer I used. Although now that I look at it, it's not the one by gidierre.
Old 15-09-13, 23:43   #46
MMAN
Professor

Oh, it seems the right one is slightly hidden under the "64-bit" link (despite it having 32-bit versions too): http://www.tombraiderhub.com/faq/tr1_adv.html

It's the middle installer that's listed as 1.6.
Old 16-09-13, 01:34   #47
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

Thanks for the link, I got it working now.

The sound is a little choppy, though.
Is there a way to adjust gamma settings? It's a little bit darker than I'd like, but it's not a huge deal.

Last edited by sheepman23; 16-09-13 at 02:58.
Old 16-09-13, 06:33   #48
Suzan
Archaeologist

Ugh, I feel this sudden need to play TR1 now because of reading this And I can't... because the computer this game is installed on isn't here atm!
Old 16-09-13, 16:42   #49
charliesewell
Archaeologist

Nice review!

I wouldn't personally rate City of Vilcabamba as high as you did, but I appreciate the nostalgia reasons you based your decision on. We all have those TR levels that just bring back a whole bag of good memories when we play them!

I certainly agree about your opinion of Lara's Theme - I always anticipate this relaxing melody when entering that part of the level. As it is for you, it is one of the outstanding features of the level for me.

Loving them so far. Can't wait for Lost Valley.
Old 16-09-13, 19:18   #50
Mytly
Tomb Raider

Location: In the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Very nice screenshots, Sheepman (and funny captions ). I generally find the colourless lighting of TR1 a bit dull, but as your screenshots show, it works quite well in levels with colourful textures like City of Vilcabamba.

As for your reviews ... well, they're excellent, of course. But I do wish someday someone would review TR1 without the rose-coloured glasses of nostalgia on. This is not meant as a personal criticism of your reviews () - just a general observation that when it comes to TR1, people seem to be unable to separate objective facts from personal emotions. Of course, if the nostalgia factor is an important aspect of your experience of the game, you would rightly give it prominence. But for someone like me, who has no particular nostalgic feelings about it, the reviews feel completely discordant with my views of the game.
Mytly is offline   Reply With Quote