www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 01-10-17, 21:29   #11691
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
this proves how german sounds so harsh
I'm always amused by this idea that some people apparently think that Germans actually talk in everyday life the way Hitler screeched in his speeches (I'm assuming that's where the stereotype comes from). We'd all be suffering from chronic laryngitis .
Old 01-10-17, 21:46   #11692
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

German can sound lovely, depending on who speaks it. But I got to admit, it is the perfect language to give angry Hitlerian speeches in. Imagine he would be shouting in French: there never would have been a Third Empire...
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-17, 23:27   #11693
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

The shouting of "Playstation 2!" in that trailer sounded more like an American accent than a German one.

I think the Romance languages (Italian, Spanish etc) sound the nicest on the ears. They're the "sexy languages" to me and I want to learn all of them. Germanic languages sound quite harsh and blunt in comparison, I think.
Old 01-10-17, 23:35   #11694
Mickybyrne20
Professor

Have you ever wondered what English sounds like to foreign ears? I've always took interest in this subject. There's a couple videos on YouTube that try and mimic an English sound, but it still doesn't feel authentic.

It's a mixed bag of opinions, some think it's nice, other not so much.

Little off topic... Lara's English so...

I also love Shakespearean early English accent, and it's certainly not the posh accent you hear today

Last edited by Mickybyrne20; 01-10-17 at 23:38.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 00:07   #11695
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickybyrne20 View Post
Have you ever wondered what English sounds like to foreign ears? I've always took interest in this subject. There's a couple videos on YouTube that try and mimic an English sound, but it still doesn't feel authentic.

It's a mixed bag of opinions, some think it's nice, other not so much.

Little off topic... Lara's English so...

I also love Shakespearean early English accent, and it's certainly not the posh accent you hear today
Yeah I saw those videos! haha I could kind of hear some of the words clearly (I'm sure I remember the f-word being one of them) but otherwise it just sounded like gibberish. Strange actually, it sounded softer.

I don't think I've actually heard the Shakespearean accent spoken out loud. However, I know that the contemporary "posh" English accent, The Queen's English, is actually a modern fabrication. It was deliberately invented and popularised in Victorian times as a "proper" way to speak, promoted by elite educational establishments, and it spread from there. Before about 200 years ago, even higher-class people in The United Kingdom likely spoke with coarse regional accents.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 02-10-17 at 00:08.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 00:48   #11696
Mickybyrne20
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post

I don't think I've actually heard the Shakespearean accent spoken out loud. However, I know that the contemporary "posh" English accent, The Queen's English, is actually a modern fabrication. It was deliberately invented and popularised in Victorian times as a "proper" way to speak, promoted by elite educational establishments, and it spread from there. Before about 200 years ago, even higher-class people in The United Kingdom likely spoke with coarse regional accents.

It's sounds very masculine, almost pirate like. It's awesome. Lara Croft should adopt it in the upcoming game Now that would be fun to see.
Old 02-10-17, 08:35   #11697
Mani_Man
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
German can sound lovely, depending on who speaks it. But I got to admit, it is the perfect language to give angry Hitlerian speeches in. Imagine he would be shouting in French: there never would have been a Third Empire...
Yeah, i guess its the same in every country.
It comes down to dialect and how you speak.

Written, German is the most beautiful language out there...spoken only when you dont hear people speak from certain places. XD
Mani_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 19:53   #11698
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Tbh for me English always sounded like a gay man speaking while eating dumplings. Or as if the person had no teeth. It's just so soft to the point the words connect with each other and sound very similar.

I wonder how Polish language sounds on the other hand. Probably it's mostly sh sh sh sh.

Oh and German is beautiful:

Last edited by Caesum; 02-10-17 at 19:54.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 01:30   #11699
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

Finished the first adventure of LC Go for the first time. Daaaamn this game is good, I was not expecting to like it as much as I did. Now I understand why this is a must for classic fans

Now on to collect the rest of the gems and start with the 'dlc' levels
Old 03-10-17, 01:43   #11700
Mickybyrne20
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Tbh for me English always sounded like a gay man speaking while eating dumplings. Or as if the person had no teeth. It's just so soft to the point the words connect with each other and sound very similar.

I wonder how Polish language sounds on the other hand. Probably it's mostly sh sh sh sh.

Are you Polish? Because it does kinda sounds like sh sh sh, if I'm honest.

English sounded like a gay man eating dumplings? Ahaha, that's a great description. Yes, English is soft compared to something like German, but English is hardly a romance language.

I love the French language. It sounds so charming.