www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 28-03-20, 16:41   #1
Felix Kroft
Hobbyist

Default TR6 On PSX?

I had a thought.

It would be nice to have every classic TR available on PSX.

Would it be possible to recreate Angel Of Darkness using classic engine?

Since now we have lots of tools that make modding possible [Thanks to many hard working users here]

Do You think that this would be possible?
Old 28-03-20, 17:35   #2
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Recreating TRAOD in its full glory while keeping it within PSX limits is impossible.

You can try to make a reimagined version of TRAOD, but using just original TR4/TRLE engine would make it necessary to completely redesign puzzles and some boss fights and levels. For example you can't create a moving and climbable contraption like in the Serpent Rouge. I don't think you can even make moving blocks like in the Hall of Seasons. Crumbling floor from the Wrath of the Beast would be impossible too.

TRNG would allow a bit more freedom but it is not available on PSX.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-20, 20:26   #3
Felix Kroft
Hobbyist

Oh i'm well aware of that, it would need some major changes, and redesign, but to have a PSX version with recreated levels would be cool.

Sound effects, and music wouldn't be a problem, textures probably too.

Early Paris levels are somewhat similiar to TR5 Rome streets.

But this is just an "what if" idea

Sewer Levels also were in TR5 Rome

I believe that someone who works with classic engine, and knows how to build / modify classic TR's would be able to do something like that.

But it would take a lot of work, skill, and time.

It just came to my mind lately, since TR5 MAIN project news went public.

Still, just a speculation, and a wild dream ; ]
Old 28-03-20, 22:50   #4
b122251
Explorer

The possibility of this depends on your expectations.
You could make custom levels for one of the old games in the style of TRAOD, following its plot. But you need to know that it would play nothing like TRAOD did. It would effectively just be new levels for old TR. It would be a cool project, but since it would take a huge amount of time, it'd be hard to find anybody who'd do it.
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-20, 23:29   #5
Kapu
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Kroft View Post
Do You think that this would be possible?
Eh, like you said, it's more likely to remain a wild dream.

All the levels would have to be rebuilt from scratch (a huge task, but not impossible) but many aspects would have to be changed to accommodate what the old engine was capable of. So it wouldn't play like AOD, it would play and feel like a classic. Maybe not such a bad thing, some of the things that make AOD unique would be lost.

But, getting the game onto PSX would be the most difficult part. Those projects where people ported Unfinished Business and The Golden Mask to PSX were really painstaking to accomplish. AFAIK we don't have a TOM2PSX program anywhere (aka a program to convert levels built on PC to playable PSX levels), so the conversion would have to be by hand, ala the expansion pack ports. Is it even possible? Maybe...?

At the end of the day, a TRLE de-make is a lot more attainable. There have been a handful of AOD sequels worked on in TRLE over the years (although none that I know have been finished and released), so there's definitely an interest.

What I personally think would be more interesting to see (and this is fully in not-ever-happening-dream territory) is TRC on PS2. That would have been really cool, I think. Pretty much TRC as it stands gameplay wise, but with early PS2 graphics.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-20, 07:17   #6
b122251
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
AFAIK we don't have a TOM2PSX program anywhere (aka a program to convert levels built on PC to playable PSX levels), so the conversion would have to be by hand, ala the expansion pack ports. Is it even possible? Maybe...?
Well, you're half-right about that. We don't have any official PSX conversion tools, but I have written programs to convert PC levels to the PSX for TR1 and TR2. (Porting Golden Mask was indeed still really difficult, though)
Old 29-03-20, 11:15   #7
klona
Golden

There has been so many attempts to remake AOD in TRLE. The team collapsed each time. Even teams that tried to revive a cancelled project.

You might think it's possible because it is. However, not with humans working on it. The scope is just too gigantic for even just 10 people to work on it and have it released in 5 years. Let alone make it work on PSX.

There are other non TRLE remakes going on if you're interested:
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=223307

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=212789
Old 29-03-20, 12:07   #8
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

Making it work on PSX would a TOTAL nightmare in my opinion. Constantly having to check the very limited limits of the engine...
I mean... people had even troubles to get the "gold levels" to work on PSX, I think lost artifact can't be played on psx ?
It would be really a very very hard work

But the idea is cool.

I remember around 2006/2007 some people tried to recreate Legend with TRLE, never saw the light of day, it's too bad...
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-20, 15:37   #9
TheBlueFox
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by b122251 View Post
Well, you're half-right about that. We don't have any official PSX conversion tools.
We have Core's original PSX converter tools for TR4/TR5.
TR5 Custom level on PS1:

TR4 Times on PS1 (Complete version with working secrets just the cutscene that hasn't been added yet.)

TheBlueFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-20, 17:46   #10
b122251
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueFox View Post
We have Core's original PSX converter tools for TR4/TR5.
I didn't know that. Could you perhaps send me a link or something?