Archaeologist

A pity the FLAC version wasn't available from day one
Brendanlovesu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-19, 11:36   #1772
pr0ton
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
It annoys me to see Nathan selling 320s as a "high-res" format, that's utter bullsh*t. Anybody with basic knowledge of digital audio should know better than this.
Compliments for your correct technical clarification on digital audio, for most people this information isn't a matter of course. As an university-schooled sound engineer I often see people mislead by marketing drivel, instead of the actual scientific theory behind it. Even many artists/composers have these dubious pseudo-science theories about audio.

Although 'high-res' is a subjective marketing term (like high-definition), Nathan better could have used something like 'high-quality'. Why he chose not to is a guess, maybe you can politely ask him, but I wouldn't use the words from your post for that.

When it comes to what your ears can scientifically differentiate, these are the highest-res possible you can get for your ears, so enjoy

Last edited by pr0ton; 23-06-19 at 11:38.
pr0ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-19, 12:15   #1773
TRfan23
Gold Membership

I'm not fan of all this marketing buzz with terms like 'high-res' audio, when they record these tracks in the studio that is the highest quality they will ever be. Though I don't know when they burn them to CD if the quality is compressed (as in the file sizes of the raw audio in the studio is much larger and contains more content) but tbh most people aren't going to hear much of a difference between them any ways I don't think.

Many years ago when I was at Uni I went through ripping in FLAC but also had MP3 tracks I got from games on GOG and Steam, as there were no FLAC versions. My friend said you can convert your MP3 files to FLAC to improve the quality and I'm like:

Last edited by TRfan23; 23-06-19 at 12:36.
TRfan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-19, 13:07   #1774
Reggie
Tomb Raider

I'm living for the audiophile discussion in here right now.

FLAC all the way.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-19, 13:42   #1775
annacroft
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
Spotify (and most other streaming services for that matter) uses heavy-handed compression to ease bandwidth usage.
Honestly it's a massive shame. I know you can change the quality of the stream but nothing compares to good old files.
Old 24-06-19, 05:29   #1776
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

I am a little miffed the FLAC release is barely any increase in quality. It also seems sped up..compared to the MP3 release. Like barely...0.2%. Dont like it. Back to mp3
Old 24-06-19, 09:22   #1777
Helegad
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
I am a little miffed the FLAC release is barely any increase in quality. It also seems sped up..compared to the MP3 release. Like barely...0.2%. Dont like it. Back to mp3
The MP3 format has massively improved over the years, it's a fantastic compression scheme. Transparency (ie. you can't tell the difference between MP3 and lossless) occurs at about 192kbps CBR/-2 VBR, and you can get away with lower if your hearing is not as good as it could be and/or your speakers are budget priced. So, provided the MP3s were encoded with a recent encoder and the source is the same as the FLACs, if you can hear a distinct difference in quality between these 320s and FLAC that your brain is not just fabricating (and how can you prove that anyway?), your ears are really really excellent and you should consider a career in sound engineering.

Last edited by Helegad; 24-06-19 at 09:25.
Helegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-19, 02:14   #1778
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

Luckily for me I do!
Old 25-06-19, 09:40   #1779
Helegad
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
Luckily for me I do!
You've said that the FLAC version sounds faster. Simply compressing to MP3 or FLAC does not and cannot alter the speed of the music in any way. They may have been encoded from a different or modified source, which renders the quality argument moot as you don't know what else has been done to the audio.

Try a double blind test and post your scores. That's a decent way to substantiate your claims.
Old 25-06-19, 09:57   #1780
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

If we're going by the actual times according to the files, it might be worth mentioning that MP3s typically add a small silence to the start and end of the tracks.