www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 23-02-20, 22:30   #1
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Default What is TR Anniversary?

This is a serious question, what in the world is TR Anniversary?

Now why do I ask this, well it's confusing. See technically TRA is supposed to be a remake right? It's not part of the actual timeline of LAU and the main line TR games series. That's why the new game is called TR12 and not TR13. But why?

See what don't make sense is how it's supposed to be a remake yet it's also supposed to be Canon to LAU Lara. If that's true they why isn't or shouldn't it be considered TR8? Yes Core Lara went through the same thing, but LAU Lara is not Core Lara and Anniversary is canonized by Natla showing up in Underworld.

So exactly how is it that Anniversary is supposed to be a remake and not TR8 yet it's really not a remake as it sets up storyline for Natla's "shocking" entrance in Underworld.

I mean, was there actually a plan for Anniversary to fit into Underworld or were CD just winging it and making up as they went along.
Old 23-02-20, 22:42   #2
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post

I mean, was there actually a plan for Anniversary to fit into Underworld or were CD just winging it and making up as they went along.
Well you pretty much answered your own question with this last paragraph. As far as I remember Eric Lindstrom and Toby Gard wanted to tie TRA and TR Legend's sequel together which resulted in TRU the game we have today. Originally in the early stages it was never planned to tie anniversary with Underworld since Anniversary was a secret project being made by Core Design simultaneously as when Crystal Dynamics were already working on early drafts of TR Legend's sequel. Which is why we had professor Eddington and his daughter cut etc. They had to slow down development on TRU to work on Anniversary once they got the project taken from Core after they made a rival demo when rumors of a remake by Core Design were at their peak, as we all know which resulted in what we got. I repeat I may be wrong bc this is based on what I remember but I believe it is the truth.

For further information and I invite you to do so just check the TRU archives section there is a lot to read and immerse yourself into. I've read most of it before check the thread "ask eric" it should provide you with some rather interesting insight on LAU as a whole and why we are here today.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 23-02-20 at 22:46.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-20, 22:43   #3
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

It’s a re-imagining of TRI marketed as a remake, with altered plot points to either differentiate it from the OG game and/or make it canon to LAU Lara’s universe {Lara and her father ‘playing this game before’, Richard seeking the Scion for Amelia, Lara’s first kill being Larson, Natla being an immortal goddess instead of a bionic mortal woman, LAU Winston, LAU manor, etc.} So it must be called TR8.

The Underworld tie-in was a last minute decision hence the tone difference from Legend’s lighthearted atmosphere. They were inspired by Anniversary’s heavy and serious atmosphere. They also needed to finish Natla’s story, since we all knew she was immortal and had some unfinished business with the ‘Wheels of Kathar’ and ‘The Seventh Age’.

My analogy still stands:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
I think its bcoz of Anniversary’s forced nature and Underworld’s failed try to tie Anniversary to the Legend storyline. Anniversary felt like a distant relative trying to be included in a family issue, and Underworld felt like a person from the problematic family influenced by the distant relative’s wrong ideas.....
These are my honest opinions... ^.^

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 23-02-20 at 22:51.
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-20, 22:46   #4
larafan25
Sage

TRU would have been way better if they didn't connect it to TRA. Crackheads.
Old 24-02-20, 13:11   #5
TR-Freak
Professor

Quote:
What is TR Anniversary?
An abomination of a game
Old 24-02-20, 13:29   #6
SnatchingEdges
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
A fascination of a game
Fixed, you had a typo
Old 24-02-20, 14:08   #7
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Youíre putting way more thought into it than CD ever did.
Old 24-02-20, 14:29   #8
TR1249
Archaeologist

Wikipedia is free, you know
Old 24-02-20, 15:20   #9
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnatchingEdges View Post
Fixed, you had a typo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
Youíre putting way more thought into it than CD ever did.
Thatís true, unfortunately. Who knows, maybe they didnít even think about all the retcons they were doing?
Old 07-03-20, 14:17   #10
Obi_Black
Hobbyist

Does anyone have links for aforementioned threads about Underworld's early plot concepts? I was digging through TRU sections and archives but I couldn't find aything particular.
Obi_Black is offline   Reply With Quote