www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 02-06-19, 16:35   #61
ThatSassyKid
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
It's not because the franchise is on a break that it's dead. Tomb Raider is still very much alive. We just won't hear much about it anymore for the time being.

Besides, there's still that 8th slot that will keep it trending here just a little longer.
Not because it's on a break, no, but rather the Rise deal really seems to have turned a lot of people - fans and non-fans - off the franchise, at least for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
The only time when the franchise felt close to being "dead" is post-AOD and before CD's taking over , there's no way we're anywhere near that status right now , even if Shadow had a less warm reception than TR2013 and Rise , it's still nothing like the direct post-AOD era when the brand became a literal joke .
Whilst you're not entirely wrong, the Rise deal has made the franchise of late look like a bit of a joke to casuals.
Old 02-06-19, 16:54   #62
biscuits
Professor

I agree with ThatSassyKid on the Rise deal. It was and still is a huge black mark on the franchise that made the reboot look pretty bad. It also painted CD as sellouts based on their response to the fans after the deal:

"We're sorry you can't play our sequel to the game you supported back in 2013. At least you can still play the remastered version of the game you played plus a spin off sequel we're barely even advertising. Now go away".
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 17:06   #63
Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Yeah I don't know why people always ignore this. AOD is held as a franchise killer for a reason. Cradle Of Life being a crap movie didn't help matters either.
Easy.
By the time of Last Revelation, Core Desing was already burned out ; because of the yearly release. They wanted to finish Lara off. For a reason.

Dragging AoD - yet again- is unfair. That game had its fair share of problems.
That being said, the Tomb Raider franchise is far from being dead. Became stale? Maybe.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 17:16   #64
ThatSassyKid
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
Dragging AoD - yet again- is unfair. That game had its fair share of problems.
Unfair, how? It's a pretty terrible game.
Old 02-06-19, 17:23   #65
laracroftswest
Professor

For TR? Nada.
Old 02-06-19, 17:34   #66
FanosCroft
Professor

Well I hoped to see TLOU2 but Sony isn't there, I'm looking forward to the new Xbox exclusives from the studios that MS acquired last year.
Old 02-06-19, 18:17   #67
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

Since I don't care about this year E3 cause Sony is absent, I didn't stop to think Microsoft could announce Before the Storm 2 probably from Rachel's perspective, or Chloe's again. They were the ones who announced the first one

And I forgot if I said this before but the only TR related thing we could see is the 8th dlc.

Last edited by Athukraz; 02-06-19 at 18:19.
Athukraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 08:14   #68
killchan
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
Not because it's on a break, no, but rather the Rise deal really seems to have turned a lot of people - fans and non-fans - off the franchise, at least for now.

Whilst you're not entirely wrong, the Rise deal has made the franchise of late look like a bit of a joke to casuals.
I played Rise on PC so the deal never affected me but... do PS4 players still care?
That's old story.
Old 03-06-19, 13:02   #69
Jamise_Croft
Explorer

I have my hopes too up but I'm hoping for the definitive edition of SOTTR and the announcement of the remakes of the classics
Old 03-06-19, 13:32   #70
scremanie
Tomb Raider

The timed exclusive is pretty much forgotten about these days. Looking back on it now, I’m actually grateful that Microsoft gained exclusivity. It showed that a powerful/big corporation like M$ had faith in something like TReboot. They threw money and development power at CD/SE in order to lock in the rights to secure a game that they knew people would want to buy & play. I have no doubt that even though the exclusivity tarnished the fan base a fair bit, it also helped gain a lot of attention to the game and placed Lara Croft as a mascot in Microsoft’s big league of gaming heroes and/or franchises. I also believe that the development power and money that they used in doing this, truly helped create a more polished product in the long run. There’s no denying that Rise still holds up as one of the most superior games on a technological level, not only within the series, but within the gaming market as a whole.