Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 24-11-20, 19:39   #141
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Does the school not have a uniform? Or is this new rule for older children in sixth form? And that age group (16-18) still are children. I don't know if Ireland is the same as England where uniform is mandatory in most schools.

Regardless, this is just ridiculous. The teachers are there to teach not gawk at the pupils. Leggings are almost standard wear for teenage girls and who on earth wants to wear a jumper to PE class where there's a risk of getting over hot? I'm not surprised by the reation of pupils and parents tbh.
I imagine that the school does have a uniform but I don't know for sure I've never heard of the school before today.

Some schools don't have uniforms my primary school didn't and the issue in the school in County Carlow never came up, back then during the nineties it wouldn't have come up as common sense existed at the time something which doesn't exist today.

The schools management have too much time on their hands if they think that this is a priority when their one and only priority should be teaching, it's the schools management and teachers that need to be educated not the students.

I forgot to add it to this post earlier a few years ago a school in England I forget where in England banned female students from wearing what the school called too sexy underwear, I don't know how they planned to enforce it and realistically they couldn't unless they planned to strip search every female student every day to see what type of underwear the female students were wearing.

The excuse the school gave was similar to the one that the school in Carlow gave, the school management said that they didn't want the male students to be thinking about what the female students were wearing under their uniforms, not only were they trying to control what the students wore they were also trying to control the students thoughts.

When did teachers stop teaching and start sticking their noses into things that have nothing to do with their job?

A few years ago I read online about a school principal who was so annoyed with his students allegedly poor grades that he went around to each of their homes and took every gadget that was in the house, TV, laptop and so on and threw it out the window into the garden while the occupants stood there doing nothing to stop him.

I doubt that the entire story is true because 1 the principal throwing people's things out through a window would be criminal damage and 2 why would anyone stand there and let a lunatic throw their stuff out through a window.

Outside of the school grounds the principal would have no authority to dictate what the students do in their homes and he wouldn't be allowed to go into people's homes and throw their stuff out through a window.

The principal of the school Ray Murray has spoken about the controversy surrounding telling female students what they shouldn't wear claiming that the comments on social media about the school are scandalous and damaging to staff and that he is bemused and annoyed by the comments on social media.

He claims that it's untrue that female students were asked not to wear leggings or tight tracksuit bottoms and went on to claim that staff had only reminded students to abide by the school dress code and wear the PE uniform properly and also claimed that nothing inappropriate, wrong or uncomfortable was said to the female students.

He also claimed that he and other members of staff had noticed that on PE days that students particularly the girls were not following the school regulations and it was becoming more of a fashion show though he didn't offer any specifics when he was interviewed on a radio program this morning.

He probably didn't go into detail because he didn't want to be seen as weird for singling out the girls and for obsessing about their appearance, too late now that ship has sailed.

It's more than a bit weird that the teachers are going out of their way to watch the female students and check what they are wearing on PE day, what next cameras in the changing room.

Over 5000 people have now signed the petition against the school.

Some of the comments I've seen online have said that those that are distracted by what the female students are wearing shouldn't be teaching and any male teachers that are obsessing about what the female students are wearing should check their attitude towards the female students instead of expecting the female students to be the ones to change their appearance so that the male teachers won't be so distracted.

Some of the parents have slammed the move as sexism and a form of body-shaming , none of the male students were spoken to about what they wear on PE day.

If I had kids and my daughter was told by the school what she couldn't wear, the principal would hear from me immediately on the issue, I'd say to him you focus on educating the students instead of focusing solely on what the female students are wearing on PE day and not saying anything to the male students, if you hadn't singled out the female students for a lecture on what they shouldn't be wearing then maybe your school would be a less discriminatory towards the students that you have singled out.

Focus on your school and the students education not what they are wearing, I'll focus on my daughter.

Boys at the school are planning a protest where they will wear leggings in solidarity with their female classmates.

One parent who has 2 daughters at the school said that her 12 year old daughter said no ankles, no knees, no collarbones, we're not allowed to show any skin ever basically and her 16 year old daughter said they were told that they should have more respect for themselves than to be showing off their bodies and the responsibility shouldn't be put on teenage girls to stop boys from being distracted.

Ireland is obviously still stuck in the past if people in Ireland think that they can still dictate what a woman can and can't do with their bodies or dictate what they can and can't wear, attitudes need to change and while they are changing they aren't changing as quickly as they should be, it's not just school principals that have said the wrong thing, Irish politicians have said things worse than what the principal said, I forgot the name of the Irish politician that said it, to sum up the stupid thing he said, he said that if a woman dresses up in sexy clothes then consent is not required and a man can do whatever he wants a few days later in response a woman held up women's underwear in Leinster House (it's our version of Congress) and said this item of clothing does not equal consent.

It might be the 21st century but to some it's still the 1950s, it's about time these old fossil dinosaur relics from a time that no longer exists quit and if they don't they will have to be forcibly removed.

Last edited by DragonSlayer; 25-11-20 at 15:56.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-20, 03:12   #142
DragonSlayer

I saw a rather unusual article on a local newspaper website half an hour ago which should never have been posted as it's poorly written, light on details and feels like it was written by an amateur or possibly someone on their first day on the job.

To cut a long story short the article said that police removed a bed from a house as part of an ongoing investigation into alleged fraud.

It went onto say that the paper received a tipoff that on Wednesday December 2nd police were seen coming out of a house with a bed before bizarrely adding that thoughtfully they conducted the raid in the afternoon.

The paper presumed that drugs and cash were found in the mattress which was seized for technical examination, the paper's website then included a lame attempt at humor saying that they could have been sleepwalking to the wrong conclusion before going onto say that the bed cost over 2000 euro.

It went onto finish with an even more lame attempt at humor saying that it remains to be seen if it will be an open and shut-eye case.

This is the most ridiculous story they have done since they posted that article about the guy who whined that his sports car couldn't make it over the speed ramps near the church where his nephew was being christened and that he had to get out and walk the last few hundred metres to the church.

Other ridiculous articles they posted included someone having briefly met one of the people that were in that helicopter that crashed outside a stadium last year as if they were best friends.

Someone sarcastically suggested that the newspaper do an investigative report into what happens when you eat nothing but crisps for a week.

That newspaper has turned into Waterford Whispers which is a parody news website that some here may have heard of.

The website needs to improve its humour which used to be much better than what it is now, a few years ago when there was a crash outside a morgue at a hospital they posted that requests for comment were met with a deadly silence.
Old 05-01-21, 13:44   #143
DragonSlayer

I read it in a newspaper earlier that Amazon shipped a guys order of Bubble Wrap in protective packaging in case the Bubble Wrap would break.
Old 13-03-21, 13:44   #144
DragonSlayer

I saw it in one of this morning's newspapers that a hospital in Kansas had to dispose of 600 Covid vaccines after trying to defrost them when they were already thawed out.
Old 23-03-21, 06:24   #145
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Does the school not have a uniform? Or is this new rule for older children in sixth form? And that age group (16-18) still are children. I don't know if Ireland is the same as England where uniform is mandatory in most schools.

Regardless, this is just ridiculous. The teachers are there to teach not gawk at the pupils. Leggings are almost standard wear for teenage girls and who on earth wants to wear a jumper to PE class where there's a risk of getting over hot? I'm not surprised by the reation of pupils and parents tbh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
Epic essay.
My issue with this situation is less that they want standards for the kids in the school, but their approach and reasoning.

When I was in Sixth Form (I went to a Catholic School), I do remember our teachers threatening to introduce a dress code for us when they felt our clothing was getting a bit out of hand, and this was 10 years ago. I thought it was petty as **** at the time but have to say, now, I don't entirely disagree. Sometimes the super thin-material athleisure clothes men as well as women wear do show a little bit more than you want to see. It's not a case of gawking, it's more a case of accidentally noticing and not being able to unsee it and it's awkward. I don't wanna see your camel toe, moose knuckle or outright peen print, sorry, whether you're 16 or 66.

To be fair, the same also applies to boys' athleisurewear, we've all seen men walking around in certain materials of tacksuits that show a clear penis print through it. There's even been memes about that.

So my issue is not that they want more conservative clothing, it's that they're specifically targeting the girls that's an issue. Instead of making it all about the girls' clothes, I'd just make some standards more gender-neutral. No athleisurewear or loungewear outside of PE lessons at all, which includes boys' tracksuit bottoms and sporty hoodies as much as it does girls' leggings.

The wearing jumpers for PE rule is ridiculous and stupid, especially in the May-July time of year when it's getting hot outside.

I think it's a good standard to uphold for other reasons anyway. Tbh we should encourage people to want to take more pride in their appearance when they go out in public. I low-key hate seeing people wearing sloppy gym clothes everywhere.

I remember that story that came out the other year about a black female Principal in an American (Texas I think) school who wanted to ban students and even the parents of students from wearing shower caps to the school premises, and for some reason people were outraged about that. Idk why, she's just encouraging you to come out of the house looking like you made an effort.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 23-03-21 at 10:15.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-21, 08:38   #146
Koper

Yeauxleaux, why do you format your text? What exactly do you gain from it?

Can this be seen as an interesting decission?
Koper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-21, 09:50   #147
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koper View Post
Yeauxleaux, why do you format your text? What exactly do you gain from it?

Can this be seen as an interesting decission?
Because you must keep it dramatique for me to love it dahling

I used to have it purple as well, which wasn't the smartest decision, but I changed it after someone said they found it hard to read haha.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 23-03-21 at 09:54.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-21, 16:59   #148
DragonSlayer

The TV channel E4 moving Batwoman season 2 from season one's timeslot of 9pm one hour earlier to 8pm.

Every episode of season 2 will now have any violent scenes edited and they will be poorly and noticeably edited.

The first episode of season 2 had a scene edited where a psycho character for no reason killed someone like a psycho needs a reason to kill someone, anyway it was very obvious that it was edited to cut the bit where the knife that was thrown at her killed her.

It's editing like that, that is the reason why I no longer watch movies on the channel Film4 before 9pm they're always edited in some way and ruin some great scenes for example the movie Baby's Day Out almost the entire scene in the park where the gang recapture the baby then have a hide him when they see the cops and the baby sets the front of the gang leaders pants on fire.

The briefing room scene in Star Trek First Contact was edited as well to remove to swear words while those words bull and son of a are not vital to the scene I still hate seeing one of the best scenes tampered with.

EastEnders a TV show I no longer watch that's on before 9pm gets away with people being buried alive by a serial killer but that's ok while two swear words are reason enough to edit a scene, E4 and Film4 and other TV channels that edit violent scenes must have a won't someone please think of the children policy.

Sky Replay formerly known as Sky2 does a lot of editing on all three Stargate TV shows, any and all swearing and violent scenes are edited, Sky used to be good at editing a TV show so that it wouldn't be noticed that a cut was made from the infamous full frontal nudity in Stargate SG-1's first episode which I didn't know about until several years later and Colonel O'Neill saying bull in an episode of Stargate SG-1 which I only know about because I saw a 2am repeat of that episode.

Every episode of all 3 Stargate TV shows are now obviously edited to remove anything that might upset little Johnny and Jane.

One of the best scenes in an episode of Stargate Universe was cut and ruined the episode, long story short a shuttle loses power while descending from orbit and crashes into the side off a cliff, one of the characters is pinned under some debris and it's the only thing stopping him from bleeding to death, knowing that he's going to die anyway and that the ship will soon return to FTL on its preprogrammed flight path when the timer expires, he asks his commanding officer to suffocate him so that he won't die alone.

It goes as far as his commanding officer leaning over him about to do what he was asked to do then it cuts to him walking away from the crashed shuttle.
Old 24-04-21, 17:08   #149
Greenapple968

I see that Channel 4 has been mentioned in this thread. When I say "Channel 4" I also refer to the likes of "E4", "More 4" and any others that belong to Channel 4.

I can think of a few dumb decisions that Channel 4 is responsible for:

Introducing "Married at First Sight

Introducing "Strangers Having Babies"

Introducing "The Circle"

Introducing "Naked Attraction"

Those are four shows that I hope never to go on as my life is already bad enough as it is.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-21, 19:42   #150
DragonSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
I see that Channel 4 has been mentioned in this thread. When I say "Channel 4" I also refer to the likes of "E4", "More 4" and any others that belong to Channel 4.

I can think of a few dumb decisions that Channel 4 is responsible for:

Introducing "Married at First Sight

Introducing "Strangers Having Babies"

Introducing "The Circle"

Introducing "Naked Attraction"

Those are four shows that I hope never to go on as my life is already bad enough as it is.
Naked Attraction is the only one on that list worth watching, I don't like The Circle or Married at First Sight I've never heard of Strangers Having Babies.

Naked Attraction is frequently amusing, a few weeks ago a woman for some reason brought her keyboard with her and played some music.

Naked Attraction is often featured on Gogglebox, the reactions are often very funny.

There are some attractive women on Naked Attraction but there is always one person who has something that is a turn off, one woman on it had yellow toenails instant pass for me.

There was one guy on Naked Attraction that one of the people on Gogglebox described as looking like a Thumb, a few weeks ago I saw the episode of Naked Attraction that featured the Thumb they were so mismatched I could tell that the woman that picked him clearly regretted choosing him and wanted the floor to open up and swallow her, the Thumb is not dating material and he wasn't very chatty and didn't have much to say, all he did say was I'm from Hull and we've got a lot of buildings, if I was in her place I'd be like kill me now.

Speaking of Strangers Having Babies even though I've not seen it, it reminds me of another reality TV show that wasn't actually a TV show I heard of I forget what they called it anyway the point of the TV show was to make people compete to win an organ for donation, there was a lot of fury from people opposed to it, it was revealed that it was never a serious idea for a TV show and had been designed to draw attention to the lack of organs available for donation, it was a clever way of drawing attention to a serious issue and would have made more people think about the issue of organ donation than they would have of it had been on the evening news about the lack of organs available for donation.