www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 08-10-19, 00:14   #1
Giovanshire
Hobbyist

Default New to Tomb Raider Level Editing

Hello!
I'm completely new to Tomb Raider level editing and i have a big question about getting started.

There is a lot of different programs and tools to use to start level editing but what is the current standard, and what programs should i use on a Win10 pc?

Do i need to install TRLE and TRNG? or can i download Tomb Editor and make level with just that?
Giovanshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-19, 07:47   #2
TR-Freak
Professor

There two parts of Level Editing, The Editor itself and the Engine.

The Editor can be winroomedit (original LE), NGLE (which is LE with TRNG support) or Tomb Editor (which is the newest and a new editor from the ground up).

There are two engines: the original TRLE Engine and TRNG, which is the original with some scripting functionality.

I recommend going directly with Tomb Editor, it is actively under development, has both TRLE and TRNG and soon TR5 and TR5Main(a TR5 Engine on steroids) support. The next version of Tomb Editor (1.2.8) will come with Ready-To-Play templates for TR4 and TRNG, so you basically dont have to do anything at all to make your levels playable. It also comes with a completely new Script and Project managing tool (TombIDE)
Old 08-10-19, 12:40   #3
AgentXP
Professor

Welcome to the world of Trle building!

I have produced a series of tutorial videos for people learning the original trle and TRNG: https://youtu.be/oiZQ7oFGocA

If you decide to start with the new Tomb Editor, some of the principles I cover may still be of interest to you, although the editor tool pannel and controls will be different.

Naturally Iím still using TRNG, but itís more because Iím familiar with the controls already, so if you want to use TE longer term, itís probably worth starting with it.
Old 08-10-19, 12:53   #4
_TombExplorer_
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanshire View Post
Hello!
I'm completely new to Tomb Raider level editing and i have a big question about getting started.

There is a lot of different programs and tools to use to start level editing but what is the current standard, and what programs should i use on a Win10 pc?

Do i need to install TRLE and TRNG? or can i download Tomb Editor and make level with just that?
I'm a new level builder too, and I can give you my 2 cents on the matter.
TRLE and NGLE are kinda the same, except for the fact that NGLE permits to do maaaaany good things, TRLE is too limited.
My first Level Building day I tried to remake the Tutorial Level using the NGLE editor. I saw that literally everyone was using a new Editor called Tomb Editor and on Day 2 I tried using it. Trust me, there is no going back. Tomb Editor(TE for short) is 100 times better, it is faster, has many features and it is getting supported. In my opinion, you should start with TE

If you want to build a level in TR2 Engine(or probably TR1/TR3 too I don't know), there is another engine some friends of mine use that is called Dxtr3d or something like that, if You are interested in such things I'm not the best person to ask though since I never used it. The only thing I know is that it is pretty limited(even if you can use different game engines)
_TombExplorer_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-19, 16:04   #5
Baslakor
Explorer

Install trle, upgrade to trng and finally download TE. Install everything in My Documents (you get admin issues if you install in Program Files). Now you can start building! Find the tutorial and just follow it step by step. It's a great way to learn the basics. There are also topics in this forum where you can ask all your questions.

Next thing you want is Wadtools so you can assemble your own WADS (these are files which contains all the objects you want to use in your level). You also want tbuilder, to assemble the textures you want to use in your level. There are lot more useful tools, but start simple. The editor is easy to learn, but impossible to master!
Baslakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-19, 16:49   #6
Joey79100
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baslakor View Post
Install everything in My Documents (you get admin issues if you install in Program Files).
My Documents or any other folder outside Program Files.
(and theoretically this is only for folders that will get modified, like the game folder )

And what I want to add is: if you're willing to wait a few days and want to use Tomb Editor, its next version will come with a tool, TombIDE (TIDE for short), made to manage everything and create game folders in one click, so you won't have to download or install anything other than Tomb Editor itself (which will help you a lot). Just wait for version 1.2.8, it should come current or next week.

Last edited by Joey79100; 08-10-19 at 16:51.
Joey79100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-19, 17:40   #7
Danath
Archaeologist

Wink

Welcome to levelbuilding, Giovanshire!
My 2 cents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by _TombExplorer_ View Post
If you want to build a level in TR2 Engine(or probably TR1/TR3 too I don't know), there is another engine some friends of mine use that is called Dxtr3d or something like that, if You are interested in such things I'm not the best person to ask though since I never used it. The only thing I know is that it is pretty limited(even if you can use different game engines)
That editor is named Dxtre3D, it's unofficial and was last updated in 2006, so its results differ from official levels. Specially the AI, which is a bit buggy sometimes.
With Dxtre3D you can make levels for all the classic Tomb Raider games, from 1 to Chronicles. It's the only way to make levels using the TR1,2,3 engines.
Old 08-10-19, 21:43   #8
Giovanshire
Hobbyist

Alright! Ill get TRLE, NGLE and TE all setup

also do i install NGLE over TRLE, or do i keep them separate?

and thanks for all the tips guys! Appreciated!
Giovanshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-19, 21:56   #9
Titak

Welcome to this forum, Giovanshire!

And welcome to the level editor world.

You need to install TRNG in the TRLE folder.
Old 09-10-19, 13:35   #10
Baslakor
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post

And what I want to add is: if you're willing to wait a few days and want to use Tomb Editor, its next version will come with a tool, TombIDE (TIDE for short), made to manage everything and create game folders in one click, so you won't have to download or install anything other than Tomb Editor itself (which will help you a lot). Just wait for version 1.2.8, it should come current or next week.
Wow! This is awesome news!

Yes, wait a couple of days for this release! Will make your life a lot easier. In the meantime go through the manual and write down some ideas of what you want (keep it simple!).
Baslakor is offline   Reply With Quote