www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 05-09-18, 01:06   #21
OrangeJuice
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
your girlie could be as gorgeous as you said but my cutie at least doesn't have a big wart in her face in the name of Shantytown
you're right she has the whole second act of the game boldy and loudly printed on her entire wardrobe
Old 05-09-18, 11:33   #22
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
Who needs the equivalent of 3 highlights when TR13 is full of them?
Fair enough. I was actually surprised to see so many people complain about the set pieces and qte's in this game. I thought it gave it an epic feeling. There was a lot, but I didn't feel like it took away from the game.

No, no no, what puts this under Rise for me is the combat. Theres.....SO MUCH COMBAT. Shantytowns really bad but its not even the only level like that. The combat really takes away from the flow of the game too. The cutscenes and set-pieces have a nice fluidity to them, but I thought the overflow of sponge enemies really slowed down the momentum.

I was surprised when I heard combat comprised 60% of Rise, as it honestly didn't feel like that much. If Rise was 60%, TR13 had to be around 90%.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-18, 13:59   #23
Pyro99
Archaeologist

Are you literally expecting anyone to take your post seriously when you say "Laura" repeatedly? No, sorry, next.
Old 05-09-18, 20:09   #24
New Dwight
Professor

well, this one surely brings more laughs and goofiness to me.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-18, 23:07   #25
Kapu
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
you, my friend, have what me and my colleagues here consider "taste".

no but forreal anyone can see tr2013 is a much better game than rise. all that rise has got going for it is prettier graphics but that should be a given considering that it's a sequel.

as others (specifically kapu) have said, tr2013 has a lot of faults too, especially in the storytelling department, but it still feels like a product of love and passion. it's fun, it's extremely well paced, it's interesting, all of it feels important (while a lot of rise feels like pure filler) and i know i've said it before but it's fun. a lot of fun.

it'll always have a special place in my heart, although i do expect (and hope for) shadow to be the best entry in the trilogy.

i swear 90% of the game is lara going "how can i helP jEycab" and it feels so useless and futile and there's no reason why you should care about jacob and his lying ass. his people are annoying as hell too.

making this my sig hope you don't mind
Agreed on all points. And I wholeheartedly approve of the signature.

Quote:

I share a lot of thoughts with Kapu, and my answer to the title is big time. My main take away from Rise was how bored I was playing it, and I loved the previous game. The exploration was definitely improved, but it ultimately didnít mean much when the level design was poorer; I rarely cared about the locations I was in (burn the Soviet Installation and Old Mill) or what I was often tasked to do (light signal fires, run errands for the nameless NPCs, infiltrate gulags, etc.).

The story was a series low imo, and Lara especially is poorly handled. They wanted to sell us on a deeper narrative, but nothing about her or the previous game is unpacked or explored, at least in a meaningful way. Sheís just obsessed now, and dad was right, and everyoneís wrong, and immortalityís the bomb, and now itís not - the end.

Not to mention the lack of innovation in the gameplay. It wouldnít have taken much - I love the Wire Spool and think it shouldíve been introduced much earlier, possibly as early as the Siberian Wilderness, for the game to be built around its different uses in platforming (and even repelling, if Crystal had properly thought of doing it before EM). Without anything significantly new, and having the cheek to make us regain the same equipment again, it just felt like the same game, but with a far more boring landscape (unless you like a lot of white, I guess) and depressingly serious Lara.

I donít really want to get into the crafting, but Iíll just say I hate it and think they missed their window for it in TR13. I really donít care for an environment littered with crap she can improvise with, or weapon upgrades requiring hunting. In another game Iím sure it could be fun, but I want to be raiding tombs and exploring for relics, not picking leaves and mining ore.

From the almost unbearable documents to the constant stream of collectibles I didnít care about, everything in Rise felt like an effort, whereas enjoying TR13 was effortless. I was hooked immediately and was so satisfied by the end. It knew exactly what it wanted to be, was bold and bombastic, managed to grow Lara quite visibly in front of us, and I was desperate for more.
Completely agree with this as well!
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-18, 15:54   #26
CloudTifa7
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro99 View Post
Are you literally expecting anyone to take your post seriously when you say "Laura" repeatedly? No, sorry, next.
Exactly i dont quote said person when people say Laura instead of Lara
Old 06-09-18, 19:15   #27
Daft Raider
Archaeologist

Goodness! I forgot I made this thread!

I'm glad to see you guys discussing this at length, I've really enjoyed reading all of your responses! There's so much to reply to, so I'm just going to bold the stuff I agree with the most, and I even underlined some of my favorites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastiboi View Post
TRí13 will always be my fave. i agree with Lara being more grounded and imHo she had a better sense of humor in this one than in Rise (iíll let Blood Ties off the chain but yíknow). i didnít felt overwhelmed by picking up shrubs, breaking tree-branches, or just randomly stumbling upon some survival cache as well, it was salvage crates (they were really satisfying to listen them break )

p.s. i thought the multiplayer was decent, despite being a glitchy-laggy mess
I loved the sound of the salvage crates breaking too! I'm a sucker for good sound design, I love all of the tiny little menu/game sounds in Reboot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maikaal View Post
Rise lost me when at one point it started feeling like Skyrim with running around a village with lots of NPCs. The cardboard characters and dialogues in cutscenes didn't help either. That game just took itself way too seriously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
100% agreed. Rise is my least favorite Tomb Raider game, but I absolutely love TR2013 and replay it at least once or twice a year. I didn't like the direction Rise took. The more "dense" hubs, as the devs called them, were so packed full of crap that I gave up trying to find everything. I know this is hugely fun for lots of people, but to me it was a chore. All of the game suffered from the "chore" factor for me, unfortunately.

I won't deny that the storytelling in TR2013 leaves a lot to be desired (and I've been very critical of it!), but cliched as it was, it was still entertaining. On the other hand, I couldn't get into the story of Rise at all. Above all, I could not care less about Lara's stupid ass dad. Also, the story of the Prophet and the Divine Source just didn't hold my attention whatsoever. I've only played through Rise once and have barley touched it since, but I just can't remember the lore surrounding either being that compelling. They did a much better job building up the story of Himiko, in my opinion. The journals helped a lot with this in TR2013, in particular the ones from Hoshi. On the flip side, I literally skipped damn near every journal in Rise. Listened to the first few and just...didn't...care. Now I'm not saying that they were poorly done necessarily, they just didn't grab my attention. The overall story just wasn't my cup of tea, but I know that other people enjoyed it. To each their own.

Lara, in Rise, is AWFUL. I'm usually very careful to state most of my opinions as just that, opinions, BUT THIS IS A FACT. She's the worst. I've said this before and I still believe it - she's obsessive and manic and it's painful to watch her do anything. Maybe, maybe, her attitude is deliberately whack because she's supposed to be suffering from PTSD from Yamati. Yeah, that would mess a person up big time, but the problem is Lara suffering from PTSD is NOT a major plot point of Rise at all. If I remember right, the only attention brought to Lara's mental state is confined to a few collectable journals. And that's it. Oh, and that CGI announcement trailer.

I know a lot of people disliked Lara's characterization in TR2013, but I don't mind her. She's meant to be young, inexperienced, and somewhat naive, and I think that comes through well enough. But she's also curious, excitable, and determined. Again, I won't deny that the writing is not great in this game and Lara (in addition to all the cast) could have used a lot more character development, but at the end of the day, I like who she is. That ending line (cliched as it is) when Lara says "I'm not going home," gave me so much hope for her character. They really could have gone anywhere with Lara at that point, and I just hated the direction they ultimately took in Rise. I could go on and on about how much I dislike Lara in Rise, but I'll leave it at that.

One last thing I'd like to add is that the combat in Rise wasn't nearly as fun as TR2013. I know, I know, there was too much combat in TR2013, but by comparison, it felt like there was barely any in Rise. Also, I HATE all the throw-able crap they added. I don't find the "distract enemies by throwing objects" fun at all and felt it was perfectly done already by shooting arrows into wall. Instead the environment is littered with garbage to throw everywhere, that in the end, felt useless to me.

OK, I'm really done now. TL;DR TR2013 is great, Rise tried expanding on it in a way that made it unfun, along with a hugely unlikable portrayal of Lara.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
you, my friend, have what me and my colleagues here consider "taste".

no but forreal anyone can see tr2013 is a much better game than rise. all that rise has got going for it is prettier graphics but that should be a given considering that it's a sequel.

as others (specifically kapu) have said, tr2013 has a lot of faults too, especially in the storytelling department, but it still feels like a product of love and passion. it's fun, it's extremely well paced, it's interesting, all of it feels important (while a lot of rise feels like pure filler) and i know i've said it before but it's fun. a lot of fun.

it'll always have a special place in my heart, although i do expect (and hope for) shadow to be the best entry in the trilogy.

i swear 90% of the game is lara going "how can i helP jEycab" and it feels so useless and futile and there's no reason why you should care about jacob and his lying ass. his people are annoying as hell too.

making this my sig hope you don't mind
Quote:

I share a lot of thoughts with Kapu, and my answer to the title is big time. My main take away from Rise was how bored I was playing it, and I loved the previous game. The exploration was definitely improved, but it ultimately didnít mean much when the level design was poorer; I rarely cared about the locations I was in (burn the Soviet Installation and Old Mill) or what I was often tasked to do (light signal fires, run errands for the nameless NPCs, infiltrate gulags, etc.).

The story was a series low imo, and Lara especially is poorly handled. They wanted to sell us on a deeper narrative, but nothing about her or the previous game is unpacked or explored, at least in a meaningful way. Sheís just obsessed now, and dad was right, and everyoneís wrong, and immortalityís the bomb, and now itís not - the end.

Not to mention the lack of innovation in the gameplay. It wouldnít have taken much - I love the Wire Spool and think it shouldíve been introduced much earlier, possibly as early as the Siberian Wilderness, for the game to be built around its different uses in platforming (and even repelling, if Crystal had properly thought of doing it before EM). Without anything significantly new, and having the cheek to make us regain the same equipment again, it just felt like the same game, but with a far more boring landscape (unless you like a lot of white, I guess) and depressingly serious Lara.

I donít really want to get into the crafting, but Iíll just say I hate it and think they missed their window for it in TR13. I really donít care for an environment littered with crap she can improvise with, or weapon upgrades requiring hunting. In another game Iím sure it could be fun, but I want to be raiding tombs and exploring for relics, not picking leaves and mining ore.

From the almost unbearable documents to the constant stream of collectibles I didnít care about, everything in Rise felt like an effort, whereas enjoying TR13 was effortless. I was hooked immediately and was so satisfied by the end. It knew exactly what it wanted to be, was bold and bombastic, managed to grow Lara quite visibly in front of us, and I was desperate for more.
Old 24-09-18, 20:29   #28
KylieDog
Archaeologist

The ending is certainly better and felt like it had a big climax. Rise ending felt rushed and somewhat anticlimactic.

Plus dual pistols
KylieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-18, 21:06   #29
New Dwight
Professor

This game is certainly more intense than Rise, so yes, I do prefer this to Rise. It's also the only game of the reboot series I know back to back.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-19, 16:02   #30
RICER ACCORDV6
Hobbyist

2013 is better than rise and shadow combined
RICER ACCORDV6 is offline   Reply With Quote