www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 20-10-19, 13:09   #11
scion05
Tomb Raider

Interesting that nobody has said Antarctica. Nobody ever says Antarctica.
Old 20-10-19, 13:37   #12
Reggie
Tomb Raider

Antarctica is my 3rd favourite.

1. Aldwych
2. Nevada Desert/Area 51 (don't make me choose)
3. Antarctica

It's a well structured level and I love the creepy radio signal with that mutant guy hidden in the corner. The whole of Antarctica though falls a bit flat. Rx Tech mines felt repetitive and Tinnos is a trollish version of St. Francis' Folly and Mateorite Cavern is ok but not much better than any other boss level.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-19, 15:14   #13
trfan16
Archaeologist

TRI - Egypt
TRII - China
TRIII - India
TRIV - Alexandria
TRV - Ireland
AOD - Strahov
TRL - England
TRA - Greece
TRU - Thailand
TR2013 - Mountain Village
ROTTR - Lost City of Kitezch
SOTTR - San Juan
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-19, 15:14   #14
XXIIXX
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
By location do you mean location or level, or levels? Because you asked for favourite location in singular form, but started answering a different question.

Most people that Lara kills are native to the country they're physically in at the time. How is South pacific any more of a problem? She kills murderous cannibals who try to poison and decapitate her at first sight, but it's automatically a problem to you because Lara's white? Are you for real?
Whoa there. Are you okay 😂 ?

Way too argumentative for no apparent reason.

To begin with, answer my original question whichever way you want, everyone else did without any problems. I don't see why you're have one.

I can't explain to you why Lara basically invading and killing off an entire tribe of indigenous people is problematic if you can't see it for yourself. It's pretty straightforward.

Resident Evil 5 got criticized for the exact same reason a decade after Lara's adventures in the south Pacific. I'm pretty sure Temple of Doom got **** for the way it portrays India and Hinduism was also criticized and that was more than a decade before Tomb Raider.

I'm also willing to bet that the fact that it's an "unnamed" village in a random island somewhere in the South Pacific was specifically to avoid being called out if they attempted to portray an actual native South Pacific island culture that way.
Old 20-10-19, 15:26   #15
Trenton
Tomb Raider

If we're talking favourite location per game (not levels) then my list is probably gonna be:

TR1: Greece (honourable mention to Egypt)
TR2: Venice (honourable mention to Tibet)
TR3: London (honourable mention to South Pacific)
TR4: Cambodia (yeah weird choice I know )
TR5: Ireland (freakin oozes with atmosphere! )
TRL: Ghana (honourable mention to Japan)
TRA: Greece
TRU: Thailand
TR2013: Shipwreck Beach
ROTTR: Kitezh
Old 20-10-19, 15:28   #16
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXIIXX View Post
Umm.....she didn't set out to murder anyone. She didn't kill that guy back at the temple. She only kills if and when she needs to which that scene where the guy was explaining about the artifact proved it. So anyone trying to claim that she went there just to kill a tribe of people have no idea what they are talking about.

If we are going to talk about killing tribal people then your going to have to talk about Shadow where the game glorified killing them.

Again though no one really cares because it's fiction and the narrative isn't even about them anyway.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 20-10-19 at 15:29.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-19, 15:29   #17
OrangeJuice
Archaeologist

TR1 - Egypt
TR2 - uhm................ ion know i guess the maria doria
TR3 - Nevada
TR4 - ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ion know i guess the final pyramid
TR5 - VCI (yes fight me)
TR6 - The Louvre
Legend - Japan
Anniversary - Peru
Underworld - Thailand
TR2013 - Chasm Monastery
Rise - ummmmmmmm ion know i guess syria
Shadow - Peruvian Jungle
Old 20-10-19, 15:39   #18
XXIIXX
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Umm.....she didn't set out to murder anyone. She didn't kill that guy back at the temple. She only kills if and when she needs to which that scene where the guy was explaining about the artifact proved it. So anyone trying to claim that she went there just to kill a tribe of people have no idea what they are talking about.

If we are going to talk about killing tribal people then your going to have to talk about Shadow where the game glorified killing them.

Again though no one really cares because it's fiction and the narrative isn't even about them anyway.
Again, I can't explain further why or how this is problematic if for some reason you don't see it.

Shadow is plagued by another trope. The "white saviour" . Lara spent like five minutes there and all of a sudden the tribe made them their princess? Yeah no. I don't see how this is relevant though? I didn't mention Paititi when talking about Shadow in my original post so there was no reason to criticize that part of Shadow, which is in fact problematic as well.

I don't expect or want to force anyone to care. I did when I played TRIII and that's why I talked about it.

But this is getting off topic and I don't think I have anything more to say on the topic so let's get back on topic.

Last edited by XXIIXX; 20-10-19 at 15:40.
XXIIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-19, 15:51   #19
_Seth
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXIIXX View Post
I can't explain to you why Lara basically invading and killing off an entire tribe of indigenous people is problematic if you can't see it for yourself. It's pretty straightforward.

Resident Evil 5 got criticized for the exact same reason a decade after Lara's adventures in the south Pacific. I'm pretty sure Temple of Doom got **** for the way it portrays India and Hinduism was also criticized and that was more than a decade before Tomb Raider.

I'm also willing to bet that the fact that it's an "unnamed" village in a random island somewhere in the South Pacific was specifically to avoid being called out if they attempted to portray an actual native South Pacific island culture that way.
She kills a tribe of people who are trying to kill her. What relevance is there that they're in the same country they're from? Most people Lara kills are indigenous. That's such a random thing to point out. We not allowed to have black people be villains now or people like you will ignorantly create a problem? Any game showing a local group of people to be bad, or in Temple of Doom's case, a film showing some Indians as being cultists, is not a statement that that entire culture does is like whatever those individuals portrayed are. You have to be scarily low IQ and racist to think that. You see some people from another country doing bad stuff in a sodding game and assume "well they must all be like that," hey? Anyone who does' opinion is seriously worthless.

...Regardless of all of that, it isn't art's job to portray and represent people.
Old 20-10-19, 15:59   #20
scion05
Tomb Raider

Similarly, when you strip it down to it... it's a video game. Not everything has to be politically sensitive. If you compare the representation of indigenous uncontacted Tribes in TR3 to the representation of an uncontacted tribe in Eli Roth's The Green Inferno (2013), I'd say it's pretty sensitive.

And yes, uncontacted indigenous tribes can be incredibly dangerous, we all know that. It's common sense. We all heard the news reports of the Christian missionary being killed by the tribal people of North Sentinel Island in the Andaman. It happens, and there's no reason a video game cannot, or should not, portray that.

But some snowflake fans will take offence, of course. They're the same people who occasionally post that they can't cope with animal deaths in video games, but choose to play (and then complain about) Tomb Raider.