www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 23-02-21, 16:48   #211
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGG_PRODUCTION View Post
It should be good if you can export a mesh with textures for Strpix, so that even the ones who still use NGLE and regular wads can use fake UVs
If you've read update description, you should be aware that meshes are already exported with textures. However, Strpix fails to load exported obj files for whatever reason, also it loads exported mqo files, but fails to read materials. In both cases, I believe it is the problem of Strpix and must be fixed on its side. Maybe sapper can take care of that.

Last edited by Lwmte; 23-02-21 at 16:50.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-21, 10:49   #212
THOR2010
Professor

does wadtool have an equivalent to wadmergers switch manager?
Old 28-02-21, 11:21   #213
adngel
Student

No as I know, but NGLE allows to trigger any animation on Switch Type 1, 2 and 3. You can read more info in the searching "_New Switch 1/2/3" In the OCB_List (On TombIDE program).

So it's possible to have more switches with different animations working in the level than before with Switch manage which worked replacing animations.

However the setup is a big more complex.
- For the wheel animation, I had to import it twice, one is used for the switch on, and the other for the switch off.
- The same I had to do with the button push, although it was already included in the original TR4 animations, it didn't work with the flip-flop switch (So Lara only could press it once), I copied the animation and pasted it twice at the end of the list (so they be together, because TRNG search for the "off" animation in the next animation after the "switching on".

The rest of the switches worked fine just with those OCB.

Last edited by adngel; 28-02-21 at 11:42.
adngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-21, 04:00   #214
Richard_trle
Explorer

I have a problem exporting and reimport outfit meshes. Reimporting Lara's head (even without changes) breaks the vertex order and makes both neck and braid joints invisible (due to the wrong vertices ids)

Is there any way to remap ids with Wadtool?

/edit I want to take advantage of Wadtool, because StrPix messes up with my face normals, remapping normals with it is a nope, it simply does nothing, but there is also another problem with WadTool exported meshes, some normals are also messed up, but alas Lara's face is smoother, while Strpix version is, well, crunchy and full of lighting artifacts/cracks

Last edited by Richard_trle; 22-03-21 at 04:15.
Richard_trle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-21, 09:41   #215
Lwmte
Archaeologist

The reason is tomb4 has hardcoded vertex indices to connect joints to meshes. WadTool can't reorder vertices.
Old 22-03-21, 23:32   #216
not again!
Explorer

^^ When I ran into the same issue a few month ago and did a bit of researching I read that Assimp does not keep vertex order. I assume that explains why the joints don't connect even if all connection vertices have the correct index before importing.

edit: I'm going to be a pain in the butt and ask if there are plans to solve the issue in the foreseeable future, or if it's not really a priority at all right now?

Last edited by not again!; 22-03-21 at 23:42.
not again! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-21, 02:47   #217
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Sadly unless someone talented appears and contributes to WT source code to include vertex remap functionality similar to that of StrPix, it's not possible.
Old 24-03-21, 09:52   #218
sapper
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
If you've read update description, you should be aware that meshes are already exported with textures. However, Strpix fails to load exported obj files for whatever reason, also it loads exported mqo files, but fails to read materials. In both cases, I believe it is the problem of Strpix and must be fixed on its side. Maybe sapper can take care of that.
There are two ways to import OBJ in StrPix via Import OBJ or via Import Other 3D format which uses assimp to import.

The assimp way imports obj but expects models are TR scale.
The other import fails due to the inclusion of vertex colour fields in the vertex co-ords section of the obj file (non standard?). Requires models at TR scale.

MQO import also requires TR scale and uses material names for texturing not UVs and actual texture image.

For remapping tool need MontyTRC or someone first to implement a vertex display mode with pickable vertices.
Old 24-03-21, 19:03   #219
thewolf
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
Currently there's no way to directly edit textures in WT, and also it's not possible to export your 3D assets to any file format to be read by any other software That's a shame, and export feature is long-requested, but as I said earlier, all people who were involved with TE/WT are now dragged to T5M development, so you may need to wait for these features to appear in WT.

For now, I can only think of compiling your wad to dummy .tr4 level and then try to export models from it with utils like TRViewer and/or WM, but there's a problem in that these tools can't read texture coordinates properly.

Since TRViewer source code is available and IIRC it was maintained by sapper, probably best bet is to ask him to update TRViewer so it reads tex coords correctly, then open your dummy level in it, export your model to .3ds and re-import it via WadViewer or directly edit it in any 3D software and then re-import back into WT. I will ask sapper in Discord if he's able to do that.
I was digging a bit in this thread till I found this ^^^^

so now I was wondering if we will be able to edit textures on objects with WadTool in the future or will there be a different tool ?
Old 24-03-21, 23:14   #220
Lwmte
Archaeologist

This message got old, latest WT version allows you to export meshes with textures.

Any questions related to new WT or TE functions are now a bit irrelevant, because main focus shifted to T5M development, and there is no skilled people left working on TE/WT to implement new features. If someone is willing to do that, of course they can contribute.