www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Technical Support

Old 29-08-21, 13:18   #1
Mik9517
Hobbyist

Default Tomb Raider Lost Artefact setup.exe not working

Hi guys,

I've just bought a copy of Tomb Raider Lost Artefact off eBay but I'm having problems installing it.

My laptop doesn't have a CD drive but I still have a computer with one so I used imgburn to create iso's to install it on to my laptop.

My laptop is Windows 10 but I've been trying to follow the instructions on Stella's Tomb Raider site https://tombraiders.net/stella/walks...A-install.html to install it but when I click on setup.exe the User Access Control comes up so I click ok but then nothing happens.

Just wondering if anyone else encountered this issue or how to get around it?

Many thanks in advance!
Mik9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-21, 17:34   #2
laravision
Archaeologist

You do not even need to run the installer setup.exe. If you can't find a way to run the installer then fear not. All you need is a portion of the contents found on the disc.

On your PC with a CD drive, create a new folder. Copy the following folders and files from your Lost Artifact CD - AUDIO, DATA, FMV, PIX, DEC130.DLL, EDEC.DLL, WINPLAY.DLL, WINSDEC.DLL, WINSTR.DLL and tr3gold.exe and paste them into the new folder. Transfer this folder to your laptop. My advice though, is to place the folder in a custom location (outside of the default Core Design Programs Files location) such as the Documents folder, in order to bypass any write restrictions.

Now this next step may be redundant, but I'll include it anyway. Download the TR series multipatch utility, and run this program targeting the Lost Artifact game location you've just made.

Now download this No-CD tr3gold.exe and place it in the folder (either overwrite or backup the original). It's virus free, but it may still give a warning. Alternatively you could try Arsunt's exe which allows for widescreen visuals and other fixes. See if the game now launches. If not, there are a few threads located in the TR3 sub section which you can consult for guidance if needed. This game is notorious for crashing at the main menu. You may have to run the game setup as follows:
Create a shortcut of the No-CD executable file, then open the properties of this shortcut. At the end of the target/address field, add a space, then type -setup after the quote, so that it reads something like: C:\Games\TR#\Tomb#.exe -setup

You may also face issues with a config.txt file not generating, or having to edit it manually.
Main Lost Artifact "tech support" thread: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=224913

Last edited by laravision; 29-08-21 at 17:37.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-21, 22:00   #3
Mik9517
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by laravision View Post
You do not even need to run the installer setup.exe. If you can't find a way to run the installer then fear not. All you need is a portion of the contents found on the disc.

On your PC with a CD drive, create a new folder. Copy the following folders and files from your Lost Artifact CD - AUDIO, DATA, FMV, PIX, DEC130.DLL, EDEC.DLL, WINPLAY.DLL, WINSDEC.DLL, WINSTR.DLL and tr3gold.exe and paste them into the new folder. Transfer this folder to your laptop. My advice though, is to place the folder in a custom location (outside of the default Core Design Programs Files location) such as the Documents folder, in order to bypass any write restrictions.

Now this next step may be redundant, but I'll include it anyway. Download the TR series multipatch utility, and run this program targeting the Lost Artifact game location you've just made.

Now download this No-CD tr3gold.exe and place it in the folder (either overwrite or backup the original). It's virus free, but it may still give a warning. Alternatively you could try Arsunt's exe which allows for widescreen visuals and other fixes. See if the game now launches. If not, there are a few threads located in the TR3 sub section which you can consult for guidance if needed. This game is notorious for crashing at the main menu. You may have to run the game setup as follows:
Create a shortcut of the No-CD executable file, then open the properties of this shortcut. At the end of the target/address field, add a space, then type -setup after the quote, so that it reads something like: C:\Games\TR#\Tomb#.exe -setup

You may also face issues with a config.txt file not generating, or having to edit it manually.
Main Lost Artifact "tech support" thread: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=224913
Thank you @laravision that seemed to do the trick!

Just a couple of things I did notice as well which might help someone else. As my PC does take a while to come on I mounted the iso on my laptop and was then able to copy and paste the files out of it straight to a folder on my laptop.

Also the Tomb Raider multi-patch by default installs the patches onto the desktop as I couldn't see an option to select a directory so then I just copied all of those patch files into the folder I created where I took the ones from the iso - overwriting all of them and installing the no CD patch and seems to be running fine.
Mik9517 is offline   Reply With Quote