www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 21-02-11, 20:34   #1
jarekhanzelka
Tomb Raider

Default The Witcher series thread

The Role Playing Game based on the book series of the same name by Andrzej Sapkowski

The (original) Witcher (from Polish: ''Wiedźmin'') is a computer role-playing game developed by CD Projekt RED STUDIO and published by CD Projekt in Poland and Atari for the rest of the world. The game is based on the book series of the same name by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski. The game utilizes BioWare's proprietary Aurora Engine. It was released in Europe and North America in October 2007. A console version using an entirely new engine and combat system, titled The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf, was to be released in Fall 2009 but was suspended due to payment problems with the console developers, Widescreen Games.

The Witcher takes place in a medieval fantasy world and follows the story of Geralt, one of a few remaining "witchers" — traveling monster hunters for hire, gifted with unnatural powers. The game's system of "moral choices" as part of the storyline was noted for its time-delayed consequences and lack of black-and-white morality

Screenshots

The significant changes featured in the enhanced version are over 200 new animations, additional NPC models and recolouring of generic NPC models as well as monsters, vastly expanded and corrected dialogues in translated versions, improved stability, and load times reduced by roughly 80%. In addition all bugs are said to be fixed and the game manual completely overhauled. A new option is to mix and match 8 different languages of voice and subtitles. For instance, players can now choose to play the game with Polish voices and English subtitles.

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition also contains a completely new and enhanced version the D'jinni Adventure Editor and two new official fully-voiced adventures: "The Price of Neutrality" and "Side Effects".

In addition to the game enhancements, the (non-North American!) boxed edition of The Witcher: Enhanced Edition contains a "making of" DVD, a CD with 29 official in-game soundtracks, another CD with soundtracks and music "Inspired by" The Witcher, a bound copy of the short story "The Witcher" by Andrzej Sapkowski from the book The Last Wish, a map of Temeria printed on high quality paper, an overhauled game manual, and the official game strategy guide.

Screenshots

News of a sequel to The Witcher came when a leaked video, tagged 'confidential' started streaming in the internet with the title, Assassins of Kings. A few months later CD Projekt RED finally acknowledged the production of the sequel, named The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.

For the sequel, CD Projekt had developed their own engine this time, unlike the first installment, which used a modified version of Bioware's Aurora Engine. Until now, only select areas of the game have been shown using the engine with the developers highlighting the various improvements they have made. Along with the engine, the developers have changed the combat system. Although these changes have not yet been publicly displayed, various gaming sites like IGN have reported that the combat is no longer like it was in the first game, which used a timed mouse-based system. It's also been said that the game will use Havok physics engine.

On March 25, 2010, the first gameplay video was shown to audiences. This gameplay footage showed the various methods that a player could use to complete the level. The demo at GamesCom 2010 also showed many different levels and characters for the first time. It has been rumored that the game has 16 different endings. The game still retains its signature delayed-consequence system, which was well-received by the gaming community and critics alike. The game features a branching dialogue system with full voice acting which was cast, directed and recorded in London.

Screenshots

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

GameInformer:
Quote:
Our March cover story gives a world-exclusive peek into the next generation of RPGs with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. This standalone sequel takes the fascinating stories and characters, non-linear plotlines, and difficult decisions that the franchise is known for and puts them all in an open world 30 times larger than the previous game – an enormous setting even larger than Skyrim's vast expanse, made possible with the new REDengine 3 technology that developer CD Projekt RED is debuting with the game. Our huge feature dives into everything The Witcher 3 has to offer, and it's a lot: the detective work that precedes deadly combat when monster hunting, storylines that weave and twist together between political intrigue and otherworldly menaces, and a tired hero who wants to set things right but can't put down his swords until his conscience allows – if it ever does.

Coming in 2014 on PC and "all high-end platforms available" (CD Projekt RED isn't saying flat-out that it's a next-gen game, but it's a safe bet that new console announcements in the coming months will define the term "high-end platform"), The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt stretches from stormy islands to war-torn forests and a sprawling dark fantasy metropolis without a loading screen anywhere to be found.
GamingEverything:

Quote:
- The team felt it missed the huge freedom of open-world games like Skyrim
- Proper mounted combat still being tested
- Currently not a definite part of the game
- Horses will be in, though, since they’re important for navigation
- Ships float on the water in true physics interactions
- Team has doubled in size
- No chapters, acts, or any artificial break-points
- Geralt can seamlessly cross from one end of the world to the other thanks to REDengine 3
- No loading screens while traveling in the open world
- Can explore on foot, by horseback, and via boat
- Pursue yor long-lost love, play the game of empires on behalf of the northern kingdoms that still claim independence, and thwart the nefarious Wild Hunt
- Fast travel: instantly revisit any discovered location
- Director Konrad Tomaszkiewicz: “A huge goal is to keep the high quality o four quests, with all the cinematics and impressive events and moments.”
- Point of interest will always be in sight
- Players will be beckoned to explore dank caves, embattled villages, decaying ruins, etc.
- Over 100 hours of hand-scripted quests
- Quests: help villagers, engineer the succession of the Skellige kings, etc.
- Use monster hunting for adventure, incoming, and unique rewards
- There are mini-games based on the area of the world
- Ex: Skellige has knife-throwing
- Gain exclusive rewards from mini-games
- Don’t have to complete mini-games to proceed in the story
- Monsters, bandits, traders, animals, and more will attack anyone they deem hostile
- Enemies don’t scale to the player’s level
- Slaying monsters, fighting hostile humans in the different forms they come in, collecting items, leveling up are in the game
- World 40 times larger than the last game
- Three different aspects to narration
- Lowest level: free-form activities like monster hunting, crafting, individual standalone quests
- Second step: political situation and Nilfgaardian invasion is resolved through the core plotline of the major areas (Skellige, Novigrad, No Man’s Land)
- Each land has its own storyline
- Can abandon the storyline, but will have repercussions later
- Not doing a plotline is a choice the player has
- Main narrative: search for Geralt’s loved ones and conflict with the Wild Hunt
- Multiple branches of narratives that feed into each other
- Don’t have to do anything outside the main storyline to beat the game
- Could have help in a main-line encounter from an ally you gained in the Skellige archipelago if you’ve completed certain quests in certain ways
- Major events in the main storyline are “gates” for the state of the world
- Ex: village threatened by bandits might be abandoned after certain events if the player doesn’t help
- Weather effects are dynamically generated and fully modeled as real volumetric clouds rather than being simply painted on the skybox
- In contrast to the last game, Geralt encounters communities and individuals with monster-related problems that need solving
- There aren’t contract-like assignments this time
- Press the left trigger to turn on Geralt’s witcher senses
- Can glean information from a crime scene upon discovering it
- Within range of a scene of interest, the mechanic conveys clues to the player through the witcher muttering to himself and/or visual depictions of past events that represent Geralt’s reasoning
- Time of day and other conditions determine where monsters appear and their abilities
- Can strike critical areas in combat based on how much you learn about monster anatomy and tactics
- The team is deciding between using a handful of in-combat special moves for particular attacks and a slow-motion quick-time event style
- Monsters you defeat leave otherwise unobtainable alchemical and crafting ingrediants needed for making of unique items, potions, mutagens
- These allow Geralt to gain special powers and upgrades in the new mutation development tree
- These kills serve as the witcher’s primary method of income
- Moving more toward romance and away from shallow sexual encounters
- “We want to treat it maturely like we did in The Witcher 2. We are not bringing sex cards back.”
- Witcher 3 doesn’t have completely different environments based on singular choices due to the open world, but there are similarly impactful decisions
- You’ll be involved with mutually exclusive storylines and situations based on certain momentous choices
- Won’t be on the same level as Witcher 2, however
- Game mechanics based on previous games, but the team is revisiting many details
- Backward difficulty curve being addressed
- Rewroking the flow of combat
- 96 animations for Geralt’s combat moves (last game had 20)
- Game has a “weighting” system for the camera to help keep the biggest threats in frame at all times
- Combat system: three big changes to solve the problem of being locked into long animations
- Every button prss mapped to a single strike
- Each move takes a roughly equivalent time to perforom
- Can always interrupt your current action to immediately dodge or block
- Can block/dodge when out of stamina, but you’ll be staggered
- Team wants to make the combat “more intimate”
- “You don’t run – in the Witcher 2 you were running constantly. You walk, but your attacks are very fast. Your opponents also walk but they have charges and things like that.”
- Geralt’s dodge roll replaced by a pivot move
- It retains its defensive utility without game-breaking mobility
- Attacks faster than in The Witcher 2
- Enemy AI completely rebuilt
- No scripted boss encounters
- One boss: ice giant
- Roughly a dozen types of interactive objects
- Ex: Can irritate a wasp with the telekinetic Aard sign to make a damaging distraction for his foes and disperse the swarm with the fiery Igni sign once the wasp swarm becomes a problem
- Magical signs are retooled
- Each of the five signs has a basic form such as Igni’s new flamethrower effect
- If the player advances down the magic tree as Geralt levels up, can unlock a second form of the sign
- For Igni, would unlock a 360-degree blast that immolates anything close
- Yrdren’s small trap can be changed into a bigger field that slows enemies
- Player retains the use of the basic form
- Other two trees are based on swordsmanship and alchemy
- Swordfighting: can unlock new strikes and boosts such as improved stanima and parrying
- Alchemy: mutation mechanic moved off to a separate development path, independent of the level-up process
- Alchemy specialization is based more on potions
- Improvements available for the horse and boat
- These aspects are still in development
- One idea: players could access their long-term storage stash from their horse as well as from inns
- Team knows about frustrating inventory management in Witcher 2
- Crafting still important for enhancing Geralt’s capabilities
- Can customize crafted items
- Some components are can be substituted for similar things
- Ex: monster scales instead of leather in a piece of armor
- This affects the properties of the final item
- Can find unique components as part of monster hunts or questlines
- Combine these with special recipes to make artifacts of immense power
- Each armor piece has a unique appearance
- Armor has improved presentation and new cloth simulation
- Can visit a barber to change Geralt’s hairstyle

Last edited by jarekhanzelka; 18-06-13 at 10:12.
jarekhanzelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-11, 23:43   #2
scoopy_loopy
Tomb Raider

ARGH! I love Witcher, I still need to finish it - but at the moment I'm trying to squeeze in a replay of Dragon Age before the sequel hits.

The sequel looks very pretty, it's so cool that they never expected the success they went onto achieve with the original. I have the re-released "directors" edition, and it's just a really fantastic game.

Oh hey Geralt, just chillin' shirtless. I know how it is.

Old 22-02-11, 02:52   #3
jarekhanzelka
Tomb Raider

Tss, I honestly thought I was the only fan around the forums by now...high five!
Old 22-02-11, 11:59   #4
illuminati30
Tomb Raider

Nice thread. I really wish I could play 'The Witcher'. Looking forward to getting the 'The Witcher 2' for PS3 though. The PS3 totally needs more games like this.
Old 22-02-11, 12:07   #5
scoopy_loopy
Tomb Raider

Do you know if this is a pre-quel or something? He seems younger? Maybe it's just cause he has his hair up and seems to have shaved for the new screens.
Old 22-02-11, 12:29   #6
jarekhanzelka
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopy_loopy View Post
Do you know if this is a pre-quel or something? He seems younger? Maybe it's just cause he has his hair up and seems to have shaved for the new screens.
It's a sequel. Once you finish the first game, it'll get very clear.

Quote:
Nice thread. I really wish I could play 'The Witcher'. Looking forward to getting the 'The Witcher 2' for PS3 though. The PS3 totally needs more games like this.
I wish you could play it as well! D:
Old 22-02-11, 12:34   #7
illuminati30
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarekhanzelka View Post

I wish you could play it as well! D:
he he, thanks! Lend me your computer lol
Old 22-02-11, 12:49   #8
jarekhanzelka
Tomb Raider

Quote: