www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 29-07-20, 10:04   #1
CircusBabysGal
Hobbyist

Default Tomb Raider Anniversary PS2 FPS?

What FPS does Tomb Raider Anniversary run on on the PS2 Console? I'd say either 30' or 60' its not really that importand of a question but it's just something i'd like to know, thanks in advance!
Old 29-07-20, 15:57   #2
laravision
Archaeologist

It depends on the region. 25fps/50hz for PAL regions, and 30fps/60hz for NTSC regions. The actual gameplay speed is the same, regardless of the version/region. It isn't like PAL TR1 for example, where the gameplay was around 17% slower than its NTSC counterpart.

If I recall correctly, the PAL version of Anniversary does include a PAL 60 mode.
Old 29-07-20, 17:43   #3
CircusBabysGal
Hobbyist

Thanks!
Old 29-07-20, 18:07   #4
Mek
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by laravision View Post
It depends on the region. 25fps/50hz for PAL regions, and 30fps/60hz for NTSC regions. The actual gameplay speed is the same, regardless of the version/region. It isn't like PAL TR1 for example, where the gameplay was around 17% slower than its NTSC counterpart.

If I recall correctly, the PAL version of Anniversary does include a PAL 60 mode.
I know that the PAL version of Legend for PS2 has both progressive scan and PAL-60 which gives you quite good experience on HDTV: 480p with 30 fps.

I also have a question. If you have PAL-60 and the progressive scan (480p), is it technically possible to get 60 fps on the TV using PS2 (of course if the game engine generates such a number of frames per second)? If we are talking about the interlaced mode (576i), then only half of a frame is transmitted per one refresh so 60 Hz gives you 30 fps. Is it correct? But when you have progressive mode, would this give you real 60 fps?
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-20, 19:32   #5
laravision
Archaeologist

I'm not really an expert in these fields, I only know the basics. But from what I can gather, a PAL PS2 game would only achieve 60fps (in PAL 60hz mode) if its NTSC counterpart supports 60fps. Tekken 5 PAL springs to mind; by default, it is PAL 50 (576i). Turning on its PAL 60 mode will output an NTSC res/signal at 60Hz with PAL colour encoding and 60fps rather than 50fps. And unlike the NTSC version, the PAL version of Tekken 5 did not support progressive scan.

Speaking of progressive scan with PAL PS2 games, I don't think you can combine it with a PAL 60 mode, it's one or the other. PAL 60 will be 60hz at either 30fps or 60fps interlaced (480i), and progressive scan will output 480p at 60hz. It generally doesn't output 576p for games, unlike the PS3.

Last edited by laravision; 31-07-20 at 00:04.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote