www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 03-02-18, 03:38   #51
Kirishima
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Coft Baby View Post
The first video: This must have been before they added High Security Compound, Lara starts in the cell here. I've learned that this was originally a TR2 expansion, you can tell based off a lot of the sounds in the game. And I am sad they took out the spin item feature that they have in the video. I think TR3 is the only one that does not have this feature am I correct? Here top also looks a tad bit different or is that just me? A lot of things seem different even down to the prisoners, outfits, they don't attack. Wow its really strange to see the game like this.

Her outfit for all hallows eve was ugly. I don't remember much about this level as its been so many years since I've played it.
Her top for Area 51 has always been different in the beta's for some reason. The look of her London catsuit is probably the result of not the outfit not being fully finished yet, and just using part of the standard outfit for the thighs
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-18, 17:26   #52
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
[youtube/]cVJ_57lW44U[/youtube]

Not really strange due to lack of better words coming to mind at the time of that comment. Just what appears to be a second image of the item being drawn on screen accept probably used to cut away the what's displayed behind leaving a black void because it's not synced with the item displayed.

Anyway, this does not happen in software mode or if a surface like a wall is close to the camera near the item when displayed. I wanted to test in Chronicles if it still happens if z-buffer is disabled, but there is no option.
Ah, I see what you mean, I noticed that too. At first I thought it was some sort of failed shadow effect, but I guess it might actually be a glitch indeed.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-18, 20:42   #53
jonathanrij
Archaeologist

Lost City of Tinnos:

As before, ignore the exposed upper legs. It's a glitch, not a design choice they made.

I don't know the level inside out by any means so here are some more obvious differences I came across:
- Outfit looks slightly different (jacket and trousers are slimmer; textures appear to be more plain; belt is black instead of dark orange).
- Enemies have no AI.
- Some missing sound effects and objects.
- Rolling TR2 blades instead of swinging burners.
- Masks scattered over floor in main mask injection room.
- Light beam isn't passable.
- Certain sections blocked off (no access to the room with the four gates, the room with switches and hinged ledges, and the room with shallow pools).

The level design itself looks mostly finalized. Feel free to share any other differences you might have found!

Last edited by jonathanrij; 20-02-18 at 23:14. Reason: Added some differences based on replies
jonathanrij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-18, 21:29   #54
Boobandie
Professor

Strange how they changed the jacket. It looks a lot more like the fmv model here, being longer and slimmer with a black belt. Her trousers are a bit slimmer as well like the nevada and home ones.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-18, 22:49   #55
Kirishima
Explorer

Her pants are less inflated, they look like the model from her tr2 assault course outfit. At least they better match the fmv model, even if unfinished. Level design wise, aside from missing objects here and there, an entire missing section, and some different textures it looks close to the final.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-18, 23:50   #56
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

Wow. My favourite level looks so different. I'm honestly quite shocked by it
Old 21-02-18, 08:35   #57
Craig Michaels
Archaeologist

I never noticed just how many variations on the Antarctica outfit there actually are!

Beta White -> Beta ECTS 1998 -> Final

But, the FMV render outfit changed too!

Here's the version that actually appeared in the game. White laces, full fur collar.

The version in the credits is the same as the FMV version. However, the promotional render is slightly different (red laces, shorter jacket).

And then there were these! Lara's pants look way more like they do in-game, and her jacket has smaller a fur collar, buttons and pockets!

The buttons and pockets are even more visible here. The wide buckle looks like it's been there since the beta white outfit . . . but the guns are the old TR2 guns, unlike the new TR4-style pistols she has in the one render in the snowstorm. The collar with the orange interior is exactly like the Beta ECTS 1998 in-game outfit.

Weird how many variations there are for the one outfit!

Last edited by Craig Michaels; 21-02-18 at 09:42.
Craig Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-18, 02:07   #58
jonathanrij
Archaeologist

^ Good eye!

Lara's outfit in this demo appears to be the same as the one shown in the digital press kit:

The same applies to her Nevada outfit. They can all be seen here.

I'm estimating that they generally used her classic outfit everywhere up until July or so, based on all pre-release screenshots and footage I've seen. In the Antarctica section, this was probably when they first introduced the white/blue variant, shown in this trailer. I expect that they weren't so sure about this initial design (possibly because she wouldn't stand out as much in the snow), which is why her outfit might have interchanged with/reverted to the classic version around that time. Either way, given the scarce documentation of this outfit I'm fairly positive it lasted maybe a few weeks in-game at the very most. My guess is that they first implemented the orange/white variant around early to mid-August, which they then refined and finalized mid- to late September. It's difficult to tell, because we all know the development timeline of this game is a little sketchy.

Last edited by jonathanrij; 22-02-18 at 02:16.
jonathanrij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-18, 03:02   #59
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Wow, good eye, Craig! It's interesting to see all the little things they changed.
Old 29-03-18, 16:51   #60
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

is there a download link to it yet?
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote