www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old Yesterday, 15:43   #161
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Aww, itís a shame you donít really care for Antarctica. It was always one of the more memorable and more enjoyable of TR3ís lackluster-ish levels.

I personally really like the level due to its easygoing nature, the beautiful environments, and, like you said, its calm-before-the-storm approach. It all proposed a neat and lovely beginning to what is probably my second favorite section of the game. I think the enemies could have indeed been better, and flamethrowers like you suggested or some of the other wild beasts in RX Tech Mines would have been excellent decisions to spice things up.
Old Yesterday, 19:29   #162
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
Aww, itís a shame you donít really care for Antarctica. It was always one of the more memorable and more enjoyable of TR3ís lackluster-ish levels.

I personally really like the level due to its easygoing nature, the beautiful environments, and, like you said, its calm-before-the-storm approach. It all proposed a neat and lovely beginning to what is probably my second favorite section of the game. I think the enemies could have indeed been better, and flamethrowers like you suggested or some of the other wild beasts in RX Tech Mines would have been excellent decisions to spice things up.
You make several good points - the "calm before the storm" part is really admirable, actually, but I think I would've preferred an expanded ship section and more traps inside of the compounds. Maybe electrified floors once you start the generator? Or something kind of dumb like that lol. I just don't think the level takes enough advantage of great gameplay mechanics that most other TR3 levels have used. It's got a few good little puzzles in the middle, but they're so easy to complete...
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:58   #163
Final Count
Student

The biggest puzzle for me, in the Antarctica opening level, has always been to figure out where the F I need to go. Except for my most recent playthrough, this has always been one of those levels where I didn't know where to go, and constantly ran around in circles.

The level is stunning, but like the rest of the Antarctica chapter, I've never been a huge fan. The level is pretty creepy however, with the mutant being an excellent highlight. When I watched John Carpenter's The Thing years later, I realized that CORE had captured the atmosphere of that movie excellently.
Final Count is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:29   #164
sheepman23
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Final Count View Post
The biggest puzzle for me, in the Antarctica opening level, has always been to figure out where the F I need to go. Except for my most recent playthrough, this has always been one of those levels where I didn't know where to go, and constantly ran around in circles.
Yep, I did the same thing on this playthrough - went in a full circle around the valve hallway, generator room, mess hall, and dog cages before finding the opening that goes over to the separate compound with the crowbar. Then I almost forgot what I was supposed to do with that lol. It's definitely an aimless area but at least a little more condensed than something like, say, Aldwych.

Quote:
The level is stunning, but like the rest of the Antarctica chapter, I've never been a huge fan. The level is pretty creepy however, with the mutant being an excellent highlight. When I watched John Carpenter's The Thing years later, I realized that CORE had captured the atmosphere of that movie excellently.
Pretty much agree here; I haven't seen The Thing though, so I'll have to check that out. I do love the horror vibes going on across all of Antarctica.
sheepman23 is offline   Reply With Quote