Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 28-09-22, 23:49   #21
Iazu

Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroftswest View Post
Whew, going through this and trying to use DgVoodoo to get this to play in 4K while maintaining the 2D visuals of the health bar and menus has turned out to be a doozy. Thanks for this tutorial. Experiencing two issues though:
1. FMVs play audio but only show a black screen
2. The entire game, including the menu ring, is completely textureless. No matter the options I select, nothing seems to change. Anyone know a resolve for this?

Wishing you the best btw, Arsunt.
Here's some screenshots of my settings in DGVoodoo, Nvidia Profile Inspector, and TRIII itself. I've got textures and FMVs playing just fine though I'm a little unsure of what settings fixed what since I was tweaking so many things. If I had to guess I'd say the "fake" fullscreen fixed the fmvs while the Nvidia Adapter Properties fixed the textures but I'm not 100 percent on that.

NOTE: to get the additional settings beyond what's there when you open DGVoodoo, right click on the orange DGvoodoo banner and select "show all sections of the configuration"

NOTE2: If you're downsampling (i.e. running 4k on a smaller res monitor) you'll have to switch your desktop res to 4k before launching since this is technically running in a window. Things go sideways if you don't.

https://imgur.com/a/hsIQeoo

Last edited by Iazu; 28-09-22 at 23:59.
Iazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-22, 02:46   #22
laracroftswest

Wow, that helped a lot on the textures and optimization! Thank you. Now I'm at the same spot you are with the health/stamina bars looking strange but maybe that'll get solved someday.

Still can't get FMVs working properly, but I'll go back to your settings and get that sorted hopefully.

As for your question on the last page about the controller, I disabled the controller for Steam and am using DS4Windows so that I could better enable certain hotkeys. Not sure what controller you're using but DS4 worked really well with my configurations
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-22, 05:26   #23
mizuno_suisei

This thread is fantastic! While I don't need 4K, I wanted my 1080p res to show a larger UI and it works great, thanks to Iazu's screenshot showing recommended settings.

I thought I'd note though, I couldn't get it to work at all using the latest dgvoodoo build, only dgvoodoo2_55. The new build did show the wrapper present in tomb3 setup, however it just didnt make any changes ingame for me atleast.

For others who may have missed it, you must copy the three DLL files from the MS folder (from dgvoodoo zip) into the TR3 directory. I noticed that these three DLL files do not exist in the newest dgvoodoo release. The newest one contains only D3D9.dll, which did nothing for me as per above, unlike the older build with D3D8.dll, D3DImm.dll and DDraw.dll, which works great. Very happy Hope that advice may help anyone having trouble.

EDIT: I've just noticed, the health/oxygen bar etc is semi transparent - is this normal for this method?
Another warning, changing settings in the sunglasses menu (eg gamma) then causes the game to crash when entering the save and load menus no biggie.

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 29-09-22 at 06:55.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-22, 14:07   #24
Iazu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
This thread is fantastic! While I don't need 4K, I wanted my 1080p res to show a larger UI and it works great, thanks to Iazu's screenshot showing recommended settings.

I thought I'd note though, I couldn't get it to work at all using the latest dgvoodoo build, only dgvoodoo2_55. The new build did show the wrapper present in tomb3 setup, however it just didnt make any changes ingame for me atleast.

For others who may have missed it, you must copy the three DLL files from the MS folder (from dgvoodoo zip) into the TR3 directory. I noticed that these three DLL files do not exist in the newest dgvoodoo release. The newest one contains only D3D9.dll, which did nothing for me as per above, unlike the older build with D3D8.dll, D3DImm.dll and DDraw.dll, which works great. Very happy Hope that advice may help anyone having trouble.

EDIT: I've just noticed, the health/oxygen bar etc is semi transparent - is this normal for this method?
Another warning, changing settings in the sunglasses menu (eg gamma) then causes the game to crash when entering the save and load menus no biggie.
That's weird, I'm using the newest DGVoodoo and it's working just fine, has all the dlls, etc. Here's a direct link of what I'm using

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/bin/dgVoodoo2_79_3.zip

Are you using Arsunt's patch? I haven't had any menu crashes with it at all.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0H...xGMSRD49zkr4GA

As far as the health bar goes, yeah, it's an issue. I mentioned it above. I think the game draws the bar as lines and DGVoodoo does some weird scaling to them when forcing a resolution. Haven't found a solution to that and I'm not sure there is one.
Old 29-09-22, 18:20   #25
Famicom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
Not really, the project is paused for a while. Right now I'm trying to escape from Russia before borders will be closed (interesting damn time).
Best of luck to you. Hopefully they'll put an end to this madness soon...
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-22, 02:16   #26
mizuno_suisei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iazu View Post
That's weird, I'm using the newest DGVoodoo and it's working just fine, has all the dlls, etc. Here's a direct link of what I'm using

http://dege.freeweb.hu/dgVoodoo2/bin/dgVoodoo2_79_3.zip

Are you using Arsunt's patch? I haven't had any menu crashes with it at all.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0H...xGMSRD49zkr4GA

As far as the health bar goes, yeah, it's an issue. I mentioned it above. I think the game draws the bar as lines and DGVoodoo does some weird scaling to them when forcing a resolution. Haven't found a solution to that and I'm not sure there is one.
Interesting! With the newer build, tomb3 setup indeed said the wrapper was present but it just wasnt hooking properly on load, another telltale was the dgvoodoo logo present even though I'd unticked that option. The screen was exactly a tiny resolution too, everything looked awful cant explain why the older build works better at the moment, I might toy with the newer build again later to see if I can sus it out. I did try switching out some of the various dlls but it didnt seem to change anything until I put the older dgvoodoo exe in.

The only reason i dont use arsunt's patch is more a personal thing - not enjoying the changed FOV, everything seems a bit warped to my eyes and the camera a bit too far away. I use an original tomb3.exe that's compatible with trflight for emergencies, and ed kurlyak's widescreen patcher I'm not too bothered by changing gamma by manually editing config.txt so it's not a huge problem.

And thanks for confirming the semi transparency bars. Also not a huge problem
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-22, 08:10   #27
jonson

Quote:
Not really, the project is paused for a while. Right now I'm trying to escape from Russia before borders will be closed (interesting damn time).
I keep my fingers crossed for you as well. Sad and unbelievable that nowadays people still need to worry about such things…
jonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-22, 12:42   #28
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkySan View Post
Stay safe! The work you have done for the classic games should never be taken for granted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iazu View Post
Yeah I'd say that's far more important! Good luck and stay safe man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlr online View Post
Good luck with everything Arsunt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroftswest View Post
Wishing you the best btw, Arsunt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famicom View Post
Best of luck to you. Hopefully they'll put an end to this madness soon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonson View Post
I keep my fingers crossed for you as well. Sad and unbelievable that nowadays people still need to worry about such things…
Thank you everyone for your support! Since friday I'm safe in Kazakhstan with my second cousin and her family (they're Kazakhstan citizens).

P.S. sorry for offtopic
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-22, 18:41   #29
Iazu

Thumbs up

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your support! Since friday I'm safe in Kazakhstan with my second cousin and her family (they're Kazakhstan citizens).

P.S. sorry for offtopic
Awesome news!