www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 28-07-22, 16:42   #1
LuckyEdge10
Archaeologist

Post TR7AE Modding Tools

Over the past few weeks I have worked on a Noesis plugin that is able to export custom models to the TR7AE format. TR7AE stands for Tomb Raider Legend (codename tr7) and Tomb Raider Anniversary (codename trae). It took a lot of work and patience but at the end I finally managed to get a full exporter ready to be used to create amazing mods.

Features

- Importing models and textures from/to .DRM files (PC)
- Importing and exporting models from/to .GNC files (PC)
- Importing and exporting textures from/to .PCD files (PC, PS3)
- Importing and exporting textures from/to .RAW files (PC, PS3)
- Importing BGObjects from .DRM files (PC)

Download Link (v1.2)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/4uvl9..._tr7ae.7z/file

The exporter has already been used to make many awesome mods by me, HenrysArts, EvilLord, Nicotsu and lifeistombraider. The two screenshots on the bottom right have been made by franqui.

I've made a video tutorial on how to use the exporter, you can see it here:

Special Thanks:

DKDave for writing the model importer. This journey all started thanks to him!

TheIndra for creating the amazing Menu Hook which made testing incredibly easier and faster.

alphaZomega
for extensively helping writing the script and teaching a lot about Python and Noesis plugins.

Joschka for extensively helping writing the script, especially weights (which have been a nightmare) and vertex positions.

Edness for helping writing UVs as accurately as possible.

Q&A

Can we replace any model in the games?

The plugin is only optimized to replace Anniversary Lara, but you can still replace any other instance of both Legend & Anniversary by doing some little hex editing, which I explain at the end of the video.

Is it possible to edit level geometry/collision with this?

No, level geometry and collision use a different format which the plugin doesn't support as of now. TheIndra is currently working on an experimental level editor, which won't be available anytime soon.

Does this work to replace Legend Next Gen models?

No, Legend Next Gen models use a different mesh format which is currently not entirely understood. Maybe I'll consider researching it further in the future, but certainly not now.

What is the vertex/polygon limit of the format?

The model you want to port to the game must not exceed 21850 vertices, and each individual mesh must not exceed 10922 polygons.

The model I want to port exceeds both these limits, does it mean I cannot port it?

Not necessarily. 3D softwares like Blender and 3DS Max have some great modifiers which allow you to lower the vertex/poly count of your model, so that it'll be optimized enough to port it to the game. The topology of the model is going to get screwed up and look very ugly, but this is not something you should worry about unless you really care about how the geometry of your model looks (It's not going to be noticeable in-game).

If you are making a mod and you need help, don't hesitate to ask for help here! It would actually be much easier to help if you'd join my Tomb Raider Modding Discord server, but I am not sure if I am allowed to send Discord invites in this forum, so for now I won't do it, until a moderator tells me I can actually do it.

Last edited by LuckyEdge10; 30-07-22 at 14:34. Reason: Added Q&A
LuckyEdge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-22, 02:26   #2
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

This is SOOOO amazing! Model importing used to be something I wanted so badly years ago, I honestly never thought we'd have it because of LAU's ****ty engine. Thank you SO much for this omg Amazing work as usual raq, and a big hug to everyone involved in making this possible. I'll definitely check it out sometime. Can't wait to see what other mods people are going to make, that LAU/AOD/Classic Lara hybrid mod is giving me LIFE.

I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions:

Will this plugin allow for environmental mods? Not talking about changing collision/path ways whatever, just you know, cosmetic changes. Like, replacing white ledges with stuff that will blend in more with the scenario for example. I assume this would mess up lighting though, seeing as it's mostly just vertex colours.

This might sound dumb, but I'll ask anyway: this will work with TRL too right? Just asking because all those mods only show TRA, and I just wanted to be sure

Is it possible to retain the shiny effects some outfits have, like the catsuit or the belt buckle on the standard outfit? If so, can they be customized?

And one last thing: if this works with TRL too, any chance next gen will be supported too? Asking because I remember reading on discord once that you hated how NG TRL looks

Another entirely unrelated question: is audio possible yet?

Oh yeah, almost forgot: do we know yet what is the polygon limit for new models?

Sorry about the interrogation lmao

Last edited by VictorXD; 29-07-22 at 02:52.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-22, 13:08   #3
LuckyEdge10
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
This is SOOOO amazing! Model importing used to be something I wanted so badly years ago, I honestly never thought we'd have it because of LAU's ****ty engine. Thank you SO much for this omg Amazing work as usual raq, and a big hug to everyone involved in making this possible. I'll definitely check it out sometime. Can't wait to see what other mods people are going to make, that LAU/AOD/Classic Lara hybrid mod is giving me LIFE.

I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions:

Will this plugin allow for environmental mods? Not talking about changing collision/path ways whatever, just you know, cosmetic changes. Like, replacing white ledges with stuff that will blend in more with the scenario for example. I assume this would mess up lighting though, seeing as it's mostly just vertex colours.

This might sound dumb, but I'll ask anyway: this will work with TRL too right? Just asking because all those mods only show TRA, and I just wanted to be sure

Is it possible to retain the shiny effects some outfits have, like the catsuit or the belt buckle on the standard outfit? If so, can they be customized?

And one last thing: if this works with TRL too, any chance next gen will be supported too? Asking because I remember reading on discord once that you hated how NG TRL looks

Another entirely unrelated question: is audio possible yet?

Oh yeah, almost forgot: do we know yet what is the polygon limit for new models?

Sorry about the interrogation lmao
1. You can mod any instance present in the game, including objects. But not ledges. Those are part of the level geometry which use a different format.

2. Yes, all the tools work with both Legend and Anniversary.

3. Yes, you can use the "special" effects on your custom mesh. Not so sure about customizing. You could try editing the texture I guess, but not sure what exactly the results would be.

4. Legend next gen uses another completely different and more modern mesh format, so it would need to be entirely researched from scratch to be able to mod it. Maybe if enough people are interested I'll research it in the future.

5. Yes, audio modding is possible with tools made by Indra, but they are not complete.

6. One entire model cannot exceed 21850 vertices. Each mesh cannot exceed 10922 faces.
LuckyEdge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-22, 03:55   #4
BengRaider
Student

Great job, I've been dreaming of playing tomb raider legend with beta Lara, my dream has come true!
Raq, thank you!
BengRaider is offline   Reply With Quote