Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 04-02-19, 19:27   #181
iWANEX
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I thought they did a pretty good job with her character in the trilogy.

TR13: Survival From Timid, naive girl with a lust for adventure to hardened survivor that realizes adventure is dangerous. Forced into a situation but overcomes it.

Rise: Choice Not much of a change, but as a whole, shows Lara's status as an adventurer. Makes the choice to step into a dangerous adventure with a high risk of death.

Shadow: Identity From obsessive adventurer focused too much on the past to someone that thinks in the moment and is able to accept what was in the past as unchangeable. Accepts herself for who she is.
Very well said. I appreciated what they did the character and I can’t wait to see what they do with her next.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-19, 19:35   #182
the_end90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
Rise mostly focused on building the world around Lara with the unfortunate side effect that they created and messed up a group like trinity in one game.
Rise works well if you look at it as more of a world building game...but as part of a Origin story it hardly works because what a Origin story needs to do is steer a character in a direction, something that didnt happen with Rise.
The direction they had for lara after tr2013 was fine and dandy, Rise pretty much just added Laras Family to the mix to make it all the more personal...a unneccessary additional step for motivation purpose.

I can understand why the initial direction with psychological trauma and PTSD wasnt used.
Its a tough topic to tackle, even more in video games...and with SE you have a japanese developer who likes to play safe...so i get that this wasnt picked up.
Its fine because tr2013 ended on your typical good note...which is okay.

But the sell 3 games as a origin while two games did absolutly nothing to justify a Origin trilogy.
Lara at the end of tr2013 and Lara at the end of shadow arent at different points, they are at the very same point.
Lara at the end of Shadow hasnt learned anything new that she didnt learned in tr2013, the only thing that changed is that she made peace with the whole family thing...which only really was turned up with Rise.
I am starting to ask why the set the bases for the PTSD at all, now.
There was the chance to build something unique and get to a very well built Lara after a recovery from PTSD (I know what I am talking about, there are the bases), but in Rise she must be defined as destroyed and mentally torn, to start a recovery process.
It is incredible that in a year or so she is perfectly fine, that trown back to situations that are very similar to Yamatai she gets nothing: no nightmares, no vivid dreams... it is unbelievable.
Nevertheless, after that, the 3rd game could have been the recovery and we could still have Lara perfectly fitted for adventures, but with a solid personality.
I do know that it would be unacceptable that a character that bears the heritage of Lara Croft could be vulnerable but the one we see at the start of Survivor timeline is vulnerable and even weak. A strong person can be built from a vulnerable character, but there must be a phase of weakness that I never saw
the_end90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-19, 19:50   #183
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
I thought they did a pretty good job with her character in the trilogy.

TR13: Survival From Timid, naive girl with a lust for adventure to hardened survivor that realizes adventure is dangerous. Forced into a situation but overcomes it.

Rise: Choice Not much of a change, but as a whole, shows Lara's status as an adventurer. Makes the choice to step into a dangerous adventure with a high risk of death.

Shadow: Identity From obsessive adventurer focused too much on the past to someone that thinks in the moment and is able to accept what was in the past as unchangeable. Accepts herself for who she is.
I completely agree . Lara's character growth was more subtle in Rise and Shadow, but definitely there. It was least evident in Rise, I think, but this was her first chosen adventure where she's looking into the supernatural/immortality myths. She was still being guided by others, like her father's research. By the end she realises that she doesn't need to do this, but she also knows Trinity are still out there, and then there's the revelation that they were responsible for Richard's death. She needs to put all that to rest before moving on. But her obsession leads her to reckless behaviour, which she realises she needs to fix, along with no longer holding on to the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
That sums it up pretty well TrustyBow!

At first she's forced into everything, then she does it voluntarily but she still doesn't really understand what exactly puts her in those situations, in the last game she finally accepts that it's more or less destiny and she becomes truly fascinated by her discoveries.
I'd argue Lara has always been fascinated by her finds. The difference is she's gone from the strictly historical context to being way more open-minded to the supernatural, being guided by her father, doing what's right and finally to just wanting to go about her adventures for fun, while knowing she can't let these finds be exposed or taken advantage of by the wrong people (hence the protection thing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
Very well said. I appreciated what they did the character and I can’t wait to see what they do with her next.
Me too.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 11:15   #184
biscuits

None of the above. I don't want another reboot. I certainly don't want the franchise to go back to its roots either (sue me). But I also don't want the franchise to carry on in it's current state. I grew very fond of reboot Lara despite how often I criticize her games; I would hate to see her go.

In my personal opinion, the franchise should take a breather. It should have a long and healthy development cycle (4 to 5 years) that produces a game WITHOUT reused assets from 2008. The developers should take their time to REALLY think about what they can do to revitalize the franchise. To me, "make it more classic" isn't the solution. Those games already exist. I want something new and interesting and never seen before in the franchise.
Like Portugalraider often says, they should embrace a metroidvania type of gameplay. Have exploration play a key role in the game. I don't mean picking up collectables off the ground. I mean REAL exploration. Finding hidden paths. Traversing new areas and problem solving that involves path finding and backtracking. But they should also mix that with new mechanics. I think combat should play a key role in the game. Have boss fights play a major role in the game. Maybe actively seek out bosses that protect artefacts or tomb entrances.

On another note, I will be completely terrified if we get a game after only 2 or 3 years. It will signal that the next game is nothing but a cash grab that barely took any effort. Look at games like the new God Of War or MK11 or RDR2. Those are developers that took their time to create something great and special.

Tomb Raider has always been a victim of staleness. The classics became stale and people stopped caring. LAU became stale and people stopped caring. Reboot became stale and people stopped caring.

I put it on bold because I think it's important
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 16:18   #185
dg1995

Combine the best parts of every TR games together and make a ultimate game.

1.Eploration,environments,vehicles,booby traps and puzzles of the original ones.

2.Swimming of the TR Underworld.(Imo it's better than the Core design ones)

3.Camera movements and gunfights of the new ones.

4.And expand and improve every one of them.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 17:31   #186
ActuallyArlow

I think a hybrid would be the most realistic, proper lore evolution and comprimisable concept for fans on both sides in the franchise. Considering how._diverse peoples interpretation of Lara are. Plus a hybrid would be good for the general public and a way to gently change the 'mental image' of what the first thing people think of when they hear Tomb Raider.
ActuallyArlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 17:48   #187
CheshireBitch

Another Reboot would be nice, see another take on the character.
Maybe a reboot where she's like 40, after playing her so young it could be nice to play an older character !
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 18:38   #188
Costel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
Another Reboot would be nice, see another take on the character.
Maybe a reboot where she's like 40, after playing her so young it could be nice to play an older character !
Why 40? Go straight for 50 years old:
Menopause of the Tomb Raider.

Or go for 80:
Parkinson of the Tomb Raider.
Arthritis of the Tomb Raider.
Costel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 18:39   #189
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costel View Post
Why 40? Go straight for 50 years old:
Menopause of the Tomb Raider.

Or go for 80:
Parkinson of the Tomb Raider.
Arthritis of the Tomb Raider.
Well at least they'd have an excuse for the forced walking then.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 19:21   #190
laracroftonline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Well at least they'd have an excuse for the forced walking then.
omg i pissed my pants
laracroftonline is offline   Reply With Quote