Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Technical Support

Old 07-07-18, 17:30   #1
Girafarig32

Exclamation Tomb Raider 3 Gold crash at main menu

Hello everyone, I'm looking for some troubleshooting advice for TRLA.

I recently got a new computer that runs Windows 10, so I had to re-download some of my tomb raider games. I just got done playing TR3 which downloaded correctly without any problems and ran smoothly. I'm trying to download TRLA. The download process runs smoothly it seems. However, when I get to the main menu, just before the rotating carousel of options appears, the game crashes without any error messages.

I tried various troubleshooting methods including running the program as an admin, changing the compatibility to 95 and 98/ME, tinkering with some of the graphical options from setup, and applying multipatcher to the TR3LA.exe folder.

I vaguely remember having this issue before. I also looked for people having the same problem, but I don't think the issue was ever solved. I would greatly appreciate the help!
Girafarig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-18, 20:01   #2
laravision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girafarig32 View Post
I'm trying to download TRLA.
You're trying to download TRLA? Is it from a trustworthy source and includes all data files etc? Or are you trying to patch it with something like xmoser no CD crack? I've never used that. The method I use, is to install the game from the disc, run the TR multipatcher for TLA, then copy the DATA, FMV, AUDIO and PIX folders to the Lost Artifact directory. I then use this No-CD executable to eliminate the need for the CD. Alternatively you could try Arsunt's patch.

Other things to note/try, should the above patches not be of help:
Run the game setup.
Make sure the game folder and/or config.txt isn't set to read-only.
Try copying the file "config.txt" from your TR3 folder to your TLA folder and set the "MMX" line to 0.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-18, 01:26   #3
Girafarig32

Quote:
Originally Posted by laravision View Post
You're trying to download TRLA? Is it from a trustworthy source and includes all data files etc? Or are you trying to patch it with something like xmoser no CD crack? I've never used that. The method I use, is to install the game from the disc, run the TR multipatcher for TLA, then copy the DATA, FMV, AUDIO and PIX folders to the Lost Artifact directory. I then use this No-CD executable to eliminate the need for the CD. Alternatively you could try Arsunt's patch.

Other things to note/try, should the above patches not be of help:
Run the game setup.
Make sure the game folder and/or config.txt isn't set to read-only.
Try copying the file "config.txt" from your TR3 folder to your TLA folder and set the "MMX" line to 0.
I meant install, not download. I think downloading would be illegal. And likely to transfer over a virus with it.

I will try your suggestion when I get home and let you know how it goes. Thanks!!
Old 08-07-18, 17:00   #4
Girafarig32

Alright, so I tried all the above methods you mentioned, and still no luck. The only thing I couldn't do is changing the settings for config.txt -- I don't see it anywhere in the folder.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/...pseagtrskq.png
Old 09-07-18, 11:18   #5
Maverin

Did you have any problems installing or running Tomb Raider III?
Try installing in a custom location first, then copy all the files directly from the disc and paste them in that same location. If you get overwrite prompts say yes. Use the NO-CD patch you can find here on the forums (I think this guy above me even included one) to avoid problems of directly reading the CD. So once again say yes on prompts you might receive in order to overwrite the file. This might help if your CD got somehow damaged and therefore crashed when trying to load up the first creen. Lastly I use the peixto patch to fix various other problems but who knows it might also help you. Good luck
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-18, 16:19   #6
laravision

Quote:
I meant install, not download. I think downloading would be illegal.
Okay, that makes more sense.
At this point, TLA is basically abandonware, and SE don't seem to care, as evident by the fact that they haven't made it available for digital download.

Quote:
Alright, so I tried all the above methods you mentioned, and still no luck. The only thing I couldn't do is changing the settings for config.txt -- I don't see it anywhere in the folder.
Right, I can see that you have installed the game in Program Files. This can be problematic in some cases due to the user account control or some other permission or restriction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc View Post
If both of these are true:

- the game is installed in C:\Program Files or Program Files (x86)\........... ;
- AND you have User Account Control turned on (those yes-no questions which appear every time you install something),

then your saves will be in
C:\Users\*insert username*\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Core Design\Tomb Raider

Otherwise (UAC turned off and/or the game installed anywhere but C disk), it will just be in the game location.
The above quote pertains to savegame files, but it is also true in regards to the config.txt file. There may be a buggy one lurking in the TLA VirtualStore folder, so delete this one if necessary. Then navigate to the VirtualStore folder for your normal TR3 installation, find its config.txt file and copy it to your main TLA folder. If you still don't have any luck, try setting the "MMX" line to 0.

My advice though, much like Marevin suggested, is to install the game in a custom location, such as the Documents folder, in order to bypass the VirtualStore folder being utilized.

Last edited by laravision; 09-07-18 at 16:29.
Old 11-07-18, 23:26   #7
Girafarig32

I'm trying the above way of saving to a new location on a desktop folder and moving all files and the patch to the folder as well, but in the middle of moving the files from the CD over, I get an error stating that "cdaudio.wad" cannot be read from the disc. I skipped this file for now.

Edit: same is occurring with various BMP files including ChunnelMA , HighlandMA , LairMA...

Last edited by Girafarig32; 11-07-18 at 23:52.
Old 12-07-18, 13:04   #8
laravision

Quote:
...in the middle of moving the files from the CD over, I get an error stating that "cdaudio.wad" cannot be read from the disc. I skipped this file for now. Same is occurring with various BMP files including ChunnelMA , HighlandMA , LairMA...
Well haven't you already copied these files from the disc prior to setting up a new folder? Just copy and paste to the new location. If it's still an issue, you can download the "PIX" images (widescreen enabled) from the following link.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1Q...ew?usp=sharing

You should be able to use your existing TR3 cdaudio.wad file for the Lost Artifact.
Old 18-07-18, 23:32   #9
Maverin

It's possible that your CD got damaged and is unable to read these files, that would also explain the crash. If you'd like me to, I can try to upload the required files somewhere for you to download
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-18, 14:51   #10
charmedangelin

Have you tried moving the files before you run the setup?

Insert disk, move files to hard drive, remove disk and then run setup? Making sure to copy all of the files into the exact same folder that the disk install files are in?

That's how I got my copy working on windows 10.

I could PM what my setup is like.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote