Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Comics, Books and Novels

Old 06-09-20, 19:37   #11
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELIMTBF View Post
Sorry for the delay, I read your reply, didn't have time to respond at the time, and then forgot.

Awesome, I looked him up, looks like he did this cover for a run called the Frozen Omen, looks more in line with the old-school style.

I'd like to pay more attention to comic artists and get a bit more knowledge of the people behind the scenes.

So you'd say the Inferno art is better than the stuff he's done then?
Andy Park also did some covers for the reboot comics, and some artwork for SotTR. He is keeps getting back to Lara, which is great, considering he is much more famous for his MCU work now.

For Inferno I was specifically talking about Phillip Sevy though, not Andy Park. The art is still phenomenal and better than what Phillip himself did before for Tomb Raider. But I wouldn't necessarily say it is better than Andy's art. They had very different styles, Andy Park having a rounder style, while Phillip Sevy's style is more angular. But the art in Inferno is still great, especially in issues 2 and 3. Some panel construction in specific is very well implement with the religious themes of that particular story.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-20, 19:27   #12
ELIMTBF

Yeah that is cool, nice to know the old guard are still involved.

Definitely looking forward to Inferno!
ELIMTBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-20, 17:17   #13
James_Rutland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Andy Park also did some covers for the reboot comics, and some artwork for SotTR. He is keeps getting back to Lara, which is great, considering he is much more famous for his MCU work now.

For Inferno I was specifically talking about Phillip Sevy though, not Andy Park. The art is still phenomenal and better than what Phillip himself did before for Tomb Raider. But I wouldn't necessarily say it is better than Andy's art. They had very different styles, Andy Park having a rounder style, while Phillip Sevy's style is more angular. But the art in Inferno is still great, especially in issues 2 and 3. Some panel construction in specific is very well implement with the religious themes of that particular story.
Did he do any work on the reboot covers? I think I read somewhere that he did and looking at them they totally look like the sort of work he used to do on the classic comics in terms of how Lara is posed / the backgrounds are styled.
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-20, 19:28   #14
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post
Did he do any work on the reboot covers? I think I read somewhere that he did and looking at them they totally look like the sort of work he used to do on the classic comics in terms of how Lara is posed / the backgrounds are styled.
You mean Andy? Yeah, he did some of the covers for the reboot comics:

He also did a piece for each reboot game:

Personally, these are one of the best things that came out of the reboot for me — new TR artwork by Andy Park! Lara actually feels like Lara in these imo.

Last edited by Amunet; 08-09-20 at 19:38.
Amunet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-20, 18:13   #15
Kapu

Default @^

Andy's TR artwork has always been my absolute favorite! I love that we got to see him work on TR again in the reboot era. That first cover you posted Amunet reminds me so much of his old school comic Lara.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-20, 22:54   #16
TrustyBow

I wish they'd hire Andy as an art director for the games, similar to Shinkawa's role in the MGS franchise.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote