Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 29-08-19, 00:53   #1
TombRaiderTim

Default Natla's Boat

Just thought about it earlier today and of course I know TR1 is just a game and it is silly to over think things but when Lara flings off her motorbike in Egypt and climbs aboard the boat and proceeds to the lower deck, how in the world does she take what seems to be a decent amount of sleep, without Natla or any henchmen ever going down and spotting her down there?

They do however, make it a little more believable on Anniversary as she just goes down as a stowaway instead of catching up on sleep, so she could manoeuvre about and avoid being seen until they arrived at the Lost Island but TR1 Lara made zero effort in order to conceal herself from being caught and I know if I done that, my snoring would give me away instantly.

Last edited by TombRaiderTim; 29-08-19 at 00:58.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-19, 01:32   #2
HarleyCroft

You're not silly for overthing old video games, speculative connections surrounding the plot, characterizion and themes are always a fun part of classic TR and fiction in general. The current need for everything to be spelled out kills so much long run potential to theorize.

I always thought Lara should have crawled under the bed tho
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-19, 02:27   #3
NoahCrofRaider

I saw someone else bring this up earlier on, and yeah, it’s weird. They could have just shot her in her sleep, stabbed her, anything. She might have even been sleeping in Anniversary, but that’s mere guessing ofc.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-19, 02:37   #4
Boobandie

To quote those memorable talkthrough videos...

"Let's face it; she can raid tombs, but she's not that bright when it comes to finding good hiding places."

Last edited by Boobandie; 19-09-19 at 01:51.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-19, 04:59   #5
jhons0529

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim View Post
TR1 Lara made zero effort in order to conceal herself from being caught and I know if I done that, my snoring would give me away instantly.
I think its a case of she didn't care, she knew they were headed somewhere important and probably would be active rather than sleeping and such.
That's the impression I'm under.

That and honestly, I'm under the impression Lara and Larson don't technically hate each other in some capacity. She probably thought Larson at best wouldn't be invested in killing her on the spot. She pretty casually takes him as a joke in TRC, so it wouldn't be all that surprising if she wasn't much afraid of him in TR1 (Or his partners) she probably applies his behavior in some way to the people he was working with.

But I don't know, I think she genuinely believed no one would go to check so she took advantage of it and if they did she certainly didn't expect them to do try and kill her most likely.

Last edited by jhons0529; 29-08-19 at 05:04.
jhons0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-19, 05:29   #6
Boobandie

While we're on that scene, anyone else think it strange that mister "Say Cheese!" totally saw Lara dive off the boat but said nothing.

...then somehow got ahead of her to try take her down at the pyramid, despite the only dingy having already left.

Last edited by Boobandie; 19-09-19 at 01:51.
Old 30-08-19, 11:41   #7
TombRaiderTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
While we're on that scene, anyone else think it strange that mister "Say Cheese!" totally saw Lara dive off the boat but said nothing.

...then somehow got ahead of her to try take her down at the pyramid, despite the only dingy having already left.
I assume they had suspicion Lara may have tried following them which is why Kold stayed behind until he caught a glimpse of Lara jumping overboard though I suppose there was an alternate way inside the mines but for some reason Natla and company chose the longest route to get the the pyramid itself and it would not surprise me if they used some TNT to destroy parts of the mines as they went through, to put more obstacles in Lara's way and it is why we see the place in such an unstable mess.

I also had a theory that Natla herself may have still been on the boat with Kold and only sent the Cowboy and Kid into the obvious entrance to stall Lara while her and Kold went through the alternate way that could have been right next to the pyramid they unearthed, which would explain how Kold was already there and how Natla already made it to the top of the pyramid by the time Lara got inside.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-19, 12:06   #8
Boobandie

I quite like that explanation, the zoom back to show Shotgun Guy (did they have official names in TR1?) noticing and not caring about Lara jumping overboard is so deliberate it has to have a reason. You don't just add a whole extra character being animated for one shot without there being a purpose.

They didn't bother to animate the dingy driving to shore in TR1, which is a natural detail to a scene with driving away dingy sounds, but they put a henchman noticing Lara on the boat.

I'm curious to the original intent for this detail.

Last edited by Boobandie; 19-09-19 at 01:50.
Old 30-08-19, 12:28   #9
Heartache

i always assumed they didnt go to the beds because it was the middle of the day and they did other stuff on the boat, we also dont know how long she slept, maybe the sun was already at a point of starting to set, i dont think she slept like 6 hours or something like that.

and i think kold only saw a glimpse of something and he didnt see what jumped into the water which is why he does this badly animated thinking pose
Heartache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-19, 12:32   #10
Boobandie

Huh.. I always thought he was smoking.

Last edited by Boobandie; 19-09-19 at 01:50.