www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 23-07-19, 21:44   #261
ggctuk
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMN View Post
^ They've already said sorry, and there's no need to take a jab at Paolone's work either.
You've beaten me to it.
Old 23-07-19, 22:23   #262
Lwmte
Explorer

Well, personally I think TRNG deserves a "jab" (for various reasons), so does TE sometimes, because there's still bugs, although not that epic as year or two ago

But if we speak about TR5Main, let's be honest, it is constantly delayed because Monty's free time and resources are constantly dragged away by fixing and re-fixing TRNG-related stuff in TE, which could be extremely ridiculous and frustrating experience sometimes. Believe me, on the inside it doesn't always look well... been there, saw that.

What is for sure (and Monty already said that), is that TR5Main is not abandoned and hasn't become a victim of "TR developer syndrome" when author leaves community, throws away source code and never shares it with anyone. TR5Main source is available on Github, and although it's not public yet, it's not exclusively owned by Monty, so even if Monty falls victim to TR developer syndrome and suddenly leaves community and deletes himself from all forums, chats, repos etc, there will be at least 10 more people who will have very same source code and either continue to develop it or further share it with community so people can contribute and finish his work.

Last edited by Lwmte; 23-07-19 at 22:35.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-19, 11:04   #263
vasatomb
Hobbyist

Lwmte writing again under dx11 graphics probably takes a lot of time. at the moment, the main thing that he brought Wadtool to the end. translated by Yandex
vasatomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-19, 11:27   #264
TR-Freak
Professor

maybe people shouldn't expect every feature they want to be implemented and demand instant releases.
If the renderer needs a rework then so be it. No need to answer like
Quote:
I gave up to hope..
"Weeks" can mean two weeks or 200 weeks..
Just be happy that there are some developers who are passionate about TR, decompile this huge mess from Core Design and put a lot of sweat and tears into such projects for FREE, as a HOBBY.
Old 29-07-19, 11:29   #265
FreakRaider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-Freak View Post
maybe people shouldn't expect every feature they want to be implemented and demand instant releases.
If the renderer needs a rework then so be it. No need to answer like

Just be happy that there are some developers who are passionate about TR, decompile this huge mess from Core Design and put a lot of sweat and tears into such projects for FREE, as a HOBBY.
^ this 100%
Old 29-07-19, 20:31   #266
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMN View Post
^ They've already said sorry, and there's no need to take a jab at Paolone's work either.
Not really relevant to the topic but I do think there needs to be a small jab at Paolone. Like LWMTE said, the way he handled TRNG in the last years wasn't... Ideal. Paolone had lost interest in TRNG long before TE came around and there were no updates or bug fixes for a long time. Paolone also never wanted to release the source code, which held a lot of builders back, either because of bugs that needed fixing or other tools that were no longer compatible with the newest versions of TRNG. Then we heard about the plugin version, which took what? One, almost two years before it actually got released? And when it did, it was more of a curiosity than an actual useful feature. Most people had already moved on from TRLE and currently we have very few people who can actually do something with it since programming is kinda of a "rare" knowledge. I personally think that I've only seen a handful of plugins that actually got released.

As lwmte already said, we suffer from a "TR developer syndrome", and this case caused some 'harm' to the community so to speak. It could all have been prevented if Paolone had simply released the source code years ago.

Of course I am immensely grateful for all the hard work he put into TRNG and the TRLE and TR community as a whole, and I also see that releasing the source code or not was always entirely up to Paolone and Paolone alone. But, does that mean I think it was the right or even a fair call? Nope. I think sometimes even when we are entitled to something doesn't mean we should do it.

TRLE being alive after this long is a collective effort, and that is why I think this is a very important topic to not talk about and ignore.
Old 29-07-19, 20:44   #267
Dustie
Relic Hunter

It really is a shame he decided not to release the code. No one felt entitled to it, it just would have made it possible to continue his work or at least fix issues. I heard he lost interest in it, but if that is the case, then why withhold it? We might never know the answer, probably not before TR5Main is released anyway...
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-19, 14:48   #268
Caesum
Tomb Raider

One thing he could have done before disappearing (apart from thousands of random crashes and memory leaks of course) is to remove that annoying prompt asking to check for updates. There will be no further updates, get over it NG_Center.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-19, 17:31   #269
TokyoSU
Student

it will be fixed if the script editor from TombEditor will be finished
it's not for today throught

Last edited by TokyoSU; 30-07-19 at 19:46.
TokyoSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-19, 11:22   #270
Boobandie
Professor

I'm so eager to start working with these new tools!
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote