www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 17-06-16, 21:51   #1911
Piega
Archaeologist

It looks amazing!!
Piega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-16, 22:03   #1912
Caesum
Tomb Raider

I'm confused, as much as I love what stohrendorf is doing with his Edison Engine, why all the updates are here in a thread which is about the OpenTomb engine? And how many different branches are already of the OpenTomb engine?
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-16, 22:12   #1913
Ado Croft
Historian

OMG, I'm gonna die right now It is absolutely briiant to see targetting in Open Tomb engine and also can't wait to see dying and moving enemies
Very good progress
And glad to see you here again, Tesla Rus
Thank you for this great engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=wMxUWCcxKgo

Last edited by Ado Croft; 18-06-16 at 05:07.
Ado Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-16, 09:08   #1914
vvsgh
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
I'm confused, as much as I love what stohrendorf is doing with his Edison Engine, why all the updates are here in a thread which is about the OpenTomb engine? And how many different branches are already of the OpenTomb engine?
Well, it's a fork of OpenTomb so it's logical to post in the same thread. Development in branches is a feature of git, so it's natural. There existed other branches, including Cochrane, Gh0stBlade and T4Larson, but they aren't active anymore. The remaining two are forks, because they diverged significantly and that makes cooperation very difficult.

So, it's confusing indeed. Also, the development is not open but the code still is. TeslaRus and Steffen are both promised to publish binaries, so anyone would have the opportunity to look at their progress.
vvsgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-16, 08:38   #1915
Lwmte
Archaeologist

Looking at Steffen's code updates, I can say that it becomes less and less similar to original, because he rewrites almost everything, including audio engine (which is right, cause irrklang, for example, is more fit for irrlicht projects). So technically, "Edison Engine" won't be a fork of "TeslaRus Engine" at some point, and I think that at that point we must decide which one will become "new" OpenTomb, cause currently both of "lead" developers left master and do nothing to update it.

Personally I don't want OpenTomb to become abandoned in favor of "TeslaRus Engine" or "Edison Engine", cause there are lots of followers on our Twitter, including Core Design members, and there are even more followers on official YouTube account. Plus there are articles on Reddit, Wikia, etc., and I still get lots of notifications informing about new followers joining in. It's not wise to throw out existing follower base. But of course, it's only my opinion.

On contrary, currently, nobody except few geeks follows progress on Steffen and TeslaRus forks, because neither Steffen nor TeslaRus care about informing people about their progress properly. Sorry. You won't get any support if nobody knows about what you doing. If you care about your project, you should let people know about it.

Question to Steffen
: since you're using irrlicht, maybe there's more simple approach than bordered texture atlas for managing texture tiles? I know that contemporary engines process such cases through shaders. It will save loading time and protect us from "leaking borders" once and for all.

Last edited by Lwmte; 19-06-16 at 09:02.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-16, 12:43   #1916
vvsgh
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
So technically, "Edison Engine" won't be a fork of "TeslaRus Engine" at some point, and I think that at that point we must decide which one will become "new" OpenTomb, cause currently both of "lead" developers left master and do nothing to update it.
Even if not directly it's still possible. There could be a common framework and different plugins, like e.g. in SCUMMVM. But of course, it requires cooperation from all the developers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
On contrary, currently, nobody except few geeks follows progress on Steffen and TeslaRus forks, because neither Steffen nor TeslaRus care about informing people about their progress properly. Sorry. You won't get any support if nobody knows about what you doing. If you care about your project, you should let people know about it.
I'm afraid there is nothing we can do. It couldn't be stressed enough that there will be no progress if nobody want to cooperate. Otherwise these projects will remain just that, well, the personal pet branches. On the other hand it's impossible to coerce anyone to work for sake of a common interest if they are not actually willing. All open source projects are vulnerable to that problem.
Old 19-06-16, 13:30   #1917
stohrendorf
Hobbyist

@Lwmte: Irrlicht allows for shader-based materials, but I'm currently loading raw textures from the levels and do plain old UV mapping. Also, I'm quite happy that only a few geeks know about EdisonEngine, as I am still constantly refactoring the code.
stohrendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-16, 14:35   #1918
vvsgh
Student

If I'd do everything myself it'd took me a hundred years. Just a thought.
Old 19-06-16, 14:38   #1919
stohrendorf
Hobbyist

True, but the code is far from being in a state where collaboration is "safe", as the framework I'm working on is constantly changing.
stohrendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-16, 11:20   #1920
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist

Hello everyone!

It's nice to see some of the latest gameplay improvements. I look forward to seeing new features from both "TeslaRus Engine" and "Edison Engine". At this point, AI desperately needs to be implemented since there's already a targeting system in-place (@TRE).

Can someone please explain what is happening to the development of OpenTomb? This situation is quite messy, there's 3 versions of the engine. I stopped working on the project after I realised Cochrane was right.

I personally feel that bad decisions have been made. We're a team, were supposed to work on this together to achieve the same goal. I get the impression that some programmers on the team did not like changes made to the master repo which caused a very silent split of the team.

It is impossible to be a mind reader. If you have an issue, you should come forward and explicitly state your concerns so as a team, it can be discussed. Communication has always been an issue... I remember the good old days when development started to pick up because we had so many people working on the project at once. At this point in time, I've no idea where the project is heading. OpenTomb should not have been abandoned. Development should have been kept in one place. I'm always happy to discuss the future of OpenTomb and help resolve some of the current issues.

Cheers.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote