www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 10-05-16, 11:40   #5271
Zebra
Legend

Sounds to me like neither of them really know for sure whether Crystal was the instigator or not. I mean, sure, Steve says they weren't but it sounds more like an assumption on his part which would also explain why Gavin's version of the story is so different - neither of them really knew and both simply came to different conclusions based on the facts they had.

That being said, the whole thing certainly sounds scummy as hell, no matter whether it was Crystal's or SCi/Eidos' fault.
Old 10-05-16, 12:19   #5272
Reggie
Tomb Raider

Still seething hate for how it all went down 10 years later. It was fairly easy to join the dots up at the time, this is further confirmation.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 15:00   #5273
Dream
Archaeologist

Scummy and just sad. Honestly the whole story about what happened with Cores TRAE was the thing that just made me dislike crystal, As of now crystal has had TR's that also bombed and yet were given more chances.

Core had one chance. That just burns me up honestly it really does, Core really wanted a chance to get back TR and Lara. Gah!

Last edited by Dream; 10-05-16 at 16:09.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 15:48   #5274
lizardspock110
Professor

crystal were rushed with underworld resulting in those ugly cameras and technical issues that make you (and even Lara) want to scream! , crystal were forced to make tomb raider anniversary instead of a new original game

Core was rushed by Eidos, but I read somewhere that core was very new to the new game designs and couldn't get analog controls to work (I admire their work efforts and determination though if you see the beta controls it was so amazing), but obviously Eidos was the main problem, thank God theres no Eidos anymore!
lizardspock110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 17:18   #5275
jackraider
Archaeologist

^
Yup. Core struggled to adapt to the new technology for AOD. The technology was being built upon simultaneously with the actual game development. So really it wasn't finished. Crystal already had new technology that was working good (SoulReaver2 engine, etc) and EIDOS/SCi took note of that. Also, I could be assuming, but I believe CORE's Herdy Gerdy used similar/ or early tech used in AOD. I do know that when CORE DESIGN had switched from 3ds Max to Maya, Herdy Gerdy & AOD were the two games the animators had worked exclusively in Maya. The game engine, although unknown was heavily built around Maya for easier importing of assets.

Last edited by jackraider; 10-05-16 at 17:20.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 19:55   #5276
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

I'm just looking forward to that new book which is coming out that may shed more light on TRAE.
Old 10-05-16, 21:51   #5277
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim View Post
I'm just looking forward to that new book which is coming out that may shed more light on TRAE.
I agree. Will be interesting to read what it has to say about TRAE. Hopefully there will be some previously unknow stuff in there.
Due to the book being an official release I doubt there will be anything resembling a critical view surrounding the process which led to the game being cancelled though.
Old 10-05-16, 22:33   #5278
Boobandie
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceamonks890 View Post
It was more implied from my perspective than outright stated. But to each their own.
I think youre right. Remember that gamestop documentary where they showed crystals offices and it had the TRAE animation reel on one of the screens?
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 23:17   #5279
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

Anywhere I can check out some information on the new book?
Old 10-05-16, 23:18   #5280
Ceamonks890
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
I think youre right. Remember that gamestop documentary where they showed crystals offices and it had the TRAE animation reel on one of the screens?
Yeah, I do(having watched it again recently). Makes me wonder what the reasoning behind that was?

Because surely, Crystal would have had their own Anniversary game up and running by then for preview footage(as it makes the documentary itself look like false advertising, once it gets to that section.)