www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 10-06-17, 11:22   #491
sharontubul
Hobbyist

Looks lovely. Is there any way to enable the cutscene shape shifting screen effect from the PS2 version?

I live for the progress on model and animation extraction.
sharontubul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-17, 18:43   #492
FreakRaider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharontubul View Post
I live for the progress on model and animation extraction.
SAME lol
FreakRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-17, 23:09   #493
Joey79100
Professor

Animation extraction. Oh yeah. Even if it's just a visualizer. TR6's animations are absolutely beautiful.

And I love your idea nakamachi! Being able to choose the patches we want in our game s so much better than having to deal with pre-made executable and move them around when you want something else. And the UI is cute actually, looks like a BIOS setup program, or something like that.
Old 11-06-17, 13:20   #494
FairFriend
Student

Wow, I missed the update. Looking good so far!

I guess that the new patches must be bundled with some file which instructs the patcher and contains all the info that are displayed. Are you planning to make the format of the file open? Or are you going to release newer versions of the patcher every time a new patch is released? I believe it would be much better to have an open format so that you don't need to hardcode the newer patches every time one gets released.

Finally, speaking about the gui, I think it's just fine the way it is. The most important thing is functionality. But if you decided to create something more elaborated, you could try Java, which allows to create gui's and visual elements very easily. I've been working with it for my dissertation for quite a while and I found it to be very intuitive for this kind of things.
FairFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 09:34   #495
nakamichi680
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
Looks amazing. Maybe you could add the option of giving the dual pistols?
Maybe in future releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
Would you at all be willing to add a radio button that adds in dual pistols (Either A Pair Of Vector-R35's, A Pair Of Scorpion-X Pistols, or both) with NO extra ammo if the player would like?
What is a radio button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharontubul View Post
Looks lovely. Is there any way to enable the cutscene shape shifting screen effect from the PS2 version?
I don't think so.
But...
...if I find the shape shifting effect function inside the PS2 elf then there might be a little chance to re-enable it.
For instance, after comparing the PC and PS2 assembly codes, I've found a better fix for the main menu demo video.

(I've just noticed that I made a mistake in the PS2 side: word_4187FC should be _feIdleCount)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairFriend View Post
I guess that the new patches must be bundled with some file which instructs the patcher and contains all the info that are displayed. Are you planning to make the format of the file open? Or are you going to release newer versions of the patcher every time a new patch is released? I believe it would be much better to have an open format so that you don't need to hardcode the newer patches every time one gets released.
This. I'm using a "modular" approach, where I keep every fix in a different .h file. If I want to add a new fix I only have to write it and change the UI in the main function.

Quote:
Finally, speaking about the gui, I think it's just fine the way it is. The most important thing is functionality. But if you decided to create something more elaborated, you could try Java, which allows to create gui's and visual elements very easily. I've been working with it for my dissertation for quite a while and I found it to be very intuitive for this kind of things.
Thanks but now that I'm a bit familiar with C++ I don't feel the need to study another language (and I don't even have time ).

Last edited by nakamichi680; 12-06-17 at 09:43.
nakamichi680 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 11:12   #496
FairFriend
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamichi680 View Post
This. I'm using a "modular" approach, where I keep every fix in a different .h file. If I want to add a new fix I only have to write it and change the UI in the main function.
Hm, so basically the patches available for a certain version of the patcher are fixed the moment you compile the source.

I think a better approach would be one that allows the patcher to read a file at run time. Every new patch should come with said file which instructs the patcher which binaries in the .exe need to be changed and which info to display in the gui.
This way you wouldn't have to compile a new version every time a new patch is released and patches creators wouldn't need to contact you to include their new patches in your program.
Old 12-06-17, 12:15   #497
nakamichi680
Explorer

Quote:
Hm, so basically the patches available for a certain version of the patcher are fixed the moment you compile the source.

I think a better approach would be one that allows the patcher to read a file at run time. Every new patch should come with said file which instructs the patcher which binaries in the .exe need to be changed and which info to display in the gui.
This way you wouldn't have to compile a new version every time a new patch is released and patches creators wouldn't need to contact you to include their new patches in your program.
I don't know how to do this.
I don't understand where is the problem in recompiling the program, it takes less than two seconds since it's really small (about 1200 lines atm).
Old 12-06-17, 12:42   #498
FairFriend
Student

Quote:
I don't know how to do this.
I don't understand where is the problem in recompiling the program, it takes less than two seconds since it's really small (about 1200 lines atm).
Say I made a patch for TRAOD. With your method I need to contact you and send you my patched exe so that you can include it in the newer version of the patcher. Then people need to download the patcher every time a new patch is added.

Instead if you allow the patcher to load patches at run time by simply looking in the meta file which should come with the patched exe you only have one version of the program flexible enough to accomodate for new patches made by other users.
Old 12-06-17, 13:21   #499
nakamichi680
Explorer

Quote:
Instead if you allow the patcher to load patches at run time by simply looking in the meta file which should come with the patched exe you only have one version of the program flexible enough to accomodate for new patches made by other users.
I understand what you mean from a theoretical perspective but I cant' see how this could be easily put into practice.

OT:
I'll continue in Italian since I'm bit in a rush this afternoon and it would take too much to write it properly in English.
Da quello che ho capito il mio programma dovrebbe leggere questo meta file contenente, suppongo, le modifiche e le voci da mostrare nel menu ed applicarle in tempo reale al programma stesso. Ciò implica la creazione di un linguaggio di comunicazione tra il patcher ed il meta file, giusto? Mi sfugge il senso di inviare il file exe patchato.
Comunque non mi sembra una cosa molto fattibile perchè ogni patch funziona in modo diverso ed inoltre ci sono differenze non solo tra i diversi tipi di exe (traod, traod_p3, traod_p4) ma anche tra le diverse versioni dello stesso tipo. Implementare un sistema come suggerisci tu richiederebbe troppo tempo a fronte di un vantaggio praticamente nullo: quante patch sono state rilasciate dai fan dal 2003 ad oggi escludendo quella di Sasho648? Zero. Quante ne potrebbero uscire in futuro? Una, forse due ad essere molto ottimisti. Non pensi che farei molto prima ad aggiungerla direttamente nel mio programma?
Old 12-06-17, 14:16   #500
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Quote:
\What is a radio button?
I've circled in red an example of radio buttons.