www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Comics

Old 21-01-16, 14:05   #121
anthonycraig
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
Is it just me or are the comics basically recycling the game premises with setting changes? First series of comics we got Yamatai and Sam drama all over again and the TR2 comics are about Lara searching for mushrooms which are said to grant immortality. We went through the immortality bit with Katesh already in ROTTR, so why are we seeing the same general plot again for a second series of comics?

Don't want to sound like a hater or anything, but as a comic fan I'm disappointed. During the Top Cow comics era we had brand new adventures and this time around I feel like the stories are really bland with mostly sub-par artwork to boot.
Plus, isn't Lara over immortality? "We aren't meant to live forever, death is a part of life."
anthonycraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-16, 20:27   #122
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Is it just me or are the comics basically recycling the game premises with setting changes? First series of comics we got Yamatai and Sam drama all over again and the TR2 comics are about Lara searching for mushrooms which are said to grant immortality. We went through the immortality bit with Katesh already in ROTTR, so why are we seeing the same general plot again for a second series of comics?

Don't want to sound like a hater or anything, but as a comic fan I'm disappointed. During the Top Cow comics era we had brand new adventures and this time around I feel like the stories are really bland with mostly sub-par artwork to boot.
Yeah, you're right, even if this arc does happen to be good, it just seems uninspired.

But I don't agree that this comics had really bland stories and sub-par art. I mean, it is true for that awful 1st "let's go to Yamatai... again... to save sam... AGAIN" arc (still can't believe Gail Simone actually wrote that), but in my opinion, the 2nd and 3rd arcs were really good, both story and art-wise, especially the 3rd arc. And yes, they had some "artistic" wonky moments, but i blame most the inker and especially the colorist. The penciler himself was great, but these comics just prove that good inkers and colorists are just as important as good pencilers...
Old 21-01-16, 21:47   #123
Melonie Tomb Raider
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonycraig View Post
Plus, isn't Lara over immortality? "We aren't meant to live forever, death is a part of life."
Right? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Yeah, you're right, even if this arc does happen to be good, it just seems uninspired.

But I don't agree that this comics had really bland stories and sub-par art. I mean, it is true for that awful 1st "let's go to Yamatai... again... to save sam... AGAIN" arc (still can't believe Gail Simone actually wrote that), but in my opinion, the 2nd and 3rd arcs were really good, both story and art-wise, especially the 3rd arc. And yes, they had some "artistic" wonky moments, but i blame most the inker and especially the colorist. The penciler himself was great, but these comics just prove that good inkers and colorists are just as important as good pencilers...
Yeah that is fair. The first arc left such a bad taste in my mouth, story and art. The art did get a lot better, and the story did too, but nothing special or even close to what we had in the Top Cow comics. Not to sound like "OLDSCHOOL IS BETTER" or anything, but the quality of artwork and story was on another level.

I think the writers are probably very limited on story due to the fact that a selling point for the comics is that it ties in with the game stories. The Top Cow comics weren't completely consistent with the classic games, for example, but they were a freaking good read. Lara's personality was done so well too imo. Even with this limitation, I still find it way too far fetched and just plain obnoxious that Lara went BACK to Yamatai to save Sam AGAINNNN. I still don't accept that as part of Lara's story.
Old 21-01-16, 22:22   #124
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Yeah that is fair. The first arc left such a bad taste in my mouth, story and art. The art did get a lot better, and the story did too, but nothing special or even close to what we had in the Top Cow comics. Not to sound like "OLDSCHOOL IS BETTER" or anything, but the quality of artwork and story was on another level.

I think the writers are probably very limited on story due to the fact that a selling point for the comics is that it ties in with the game stories. The Top Cow comics weren't completely consistent with the classic games, for example, but they were a freaking good read. Lara's personality was done so well too imo. Even with this limitation, I still find it way too far fetched and just plain obnoxious that Lara went BACK to Yamatai to save Sam AGAINNNN. I still don't accept that as part of Lara's story.
Nah, I get what you mean. The art of old comics was in another league. And personally, the Top Cow comics' Lara is my personal favourite incarnation of Lara Croft. But in terms of story the Top Cow's comics were also a bit hit or miss for me, especially at the end...

Oh, and Top Cow gave us Chase Carver. Still want Chase Carver to appear in the Reboot continuity. Perhaps not as a love interest, but as a frenemy? If CD ever tries to lighten up a bit the tone of the new games?
Old 22-01-16, 21:30   #125
TheRCroft
Tomb Raider

Has this been posted already?

Last edited by Admles; 26-01-16 at 02:17. Reason: Image removed. Please use an approved image host.
TheRCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-16, 21:32   #126
Daring Do
Relic Hunter

^ I AM SCREAMING. I want this as a poster so I can hang it up on my wall it's so great!!
Old 22-01-16, 21:34   #127
Rai

That's really nice. Thanks for sharing.

Wait.. this is new art for the first issue?

Last edited by Rai; 22-01-16 at 21:37.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-16, 21:49   #128
R41D3R
Student

Wow, really nice cover art.

Look here, guys. It's a variant cover.

Last edited by Rai; 23-01-16 at 08:39. Reason: Link removed.
R41D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-16, 22:10   #129
BluenoseGames
Relic Hunter

I need that cover without all the logos and stuff for my phone wallpaper It looks great.
Old 22-01-16, 22:14   #130
Heidi_w_
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRCroft View Post
Has this been posted already?
That. Is. Amazing.