www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 26-04-17, 03:36   #41
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
I appreciate the electronic influences in TR III's soundtrack. I hope it doesn't go totally orchestral.
I don't think everything is completely live orchestral.

If you look at this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssZom5yGGi8 you can clearly see nobody is playing the synths or is it me?

==

Anyway, the Live Suit is great but Nathan could have at least hired people who know how to play musical instruments. If you listen carefully to some of the available videos, there's times where notes are played too late or early

Cheers.
Old 26-04-17, 03:47   #42
Kapu
Professor

Default @^

I was a little disappointed during those moments when the orchestra was not together, but to say the members didn't know how to play musical instruments is a little unfair. This was their first (and last) time performing these pieces for an audience, and sometimes **** happens. It only takes one section to be off beat to screw up the entire band's performance. Had the concert been a multi night event, the orchestra would likely have had more rehearsals and thus had a more polished performance.

That's the beauty of an album release. Someone screws up and you can rerecord it.
Kapu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-17, 16:56   #43
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

I'll help out on the Kickstarter campaign and I hope that gets it off the ground.

There were some hiccups during the live performance but that happens. It's live after all. It's not like they didn't exactly know how to play or what to play. They certainly can do a much better job than me
Old 26-04-17, 20:28   #44
Trenton
Tomb Raider

If it's what's needed to make this happen then I'll donate.
Old 26-04-17, 21:43   #45
Helegad
Explorer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKZGNkq2qpI

This techno banger was turned orchestral, although I hear some EQ in there but that might just be the ****ty phone mic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSAf_A0SxSo

Ruined, imho.

Last edited by Helegad; 26-04-17 at 21:46.
Helegad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-17, 22:27   #46
Gh0stBlade
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
I was a little disappointed during those moments when the orchestra was not together, but to say the members didn't know how to play musical instruments is a little unfair. This was their first (and last) time performing these pieces for an audience, and sometimes **** happens. It only takes one section to be off beat to screw up the entire band's performance. Had the concert been a multi night event, the orchestra would likely have had more rehearsals and thus had a more polished performance.

That's the beauty of an album release. Someone screws up and you can rerecord it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
I'll help out on the Kickstarter campaign and I hope that gets it off the ground.

There were some hiccups during the live performance but that happens. It's live after all. It's not like they didn't exactly know how to play or what to play. They certainly can do a much better job than me

Had each one of them known what they were doing, it wouldn't have happened. It's not just that though, there's times where certain chords were completely wrong. So yeah, it's quite evident some of them don't know how to play instruments properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
Yeah this one is pretty disgusting. I would have demanded a refund had I paid to watch this pathetic, orchestra.

Cheers.
Old 27-04-17, 03:27   #47
BaaFoKeemb
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
It's not just that though, there's times where certain chords were completely wrong. So yeah, it's quite evident some of them don't know how to play instruments properly.
I'll start with my concessions: If this was my orchestra, I would have been displeased with the result. Some of the players played everything as if it was their solo (typical trombone players...) The sound is like that of a good orchestra being forced to sight read at a concert - the individual players are actually quite good but they are not together as an ensemble. That actually very well could have been the case...

I recently played principal horn in an orchestra which premiered a 70 minute long brand new piece, and the parts were riddled with errors because their completion was rushed. Though it wasn't our fault, the audience didn't know that and it made us look very bad. I think that was also the case here. The choir in the TR3 video was out of tune, (quite terribly so, I admit...), but if you listen to the orchestra only they're playing quite a lovely version of the theme. Most often the fault lies in the individual parts not matching with the score, other misprints, and lack of rehearsal time.

From an orchestration standpoint, what works for computers doesn't always work in real life. Some of the concert was orchestrated in a very fragmented style which is much more evident in live performance. No hate is intended towards Nathan McCree, whose music I love dearly, but I believe it's not his best work.

People sometimes play at the wrong time because they have only an indication of how long to wait and not what anyone else is playing, and if it's a new work, there's no way to be sure without rehearsal. People sometimes write wrong chords, and that's not the performers' fault. People also just mess up on occasion. No one has ever played a perfect concert in the history of humanity because what we do is incredibly precise and we are humans.

I don't think it's fair to be so harsh on the players, unless you know the difference between the sound of a violin's G and D strings and how to move cleanly across the break on a clarinet, what the different partials feel like on the lips of a horn player... et cetera. I don't know all of those things but I know the people in the orchestra have spent a very long time to learn them and are likely quite knowledgeable about what they do; they simply were not given very kind circumstances in which to do it.

Sorry for the rant, I don't mean any harm! Just trying to defend my fellow defenseless musician guinea pigs, as it were.

Much love,
Jackson

Last edited by BaaFoKeemb; 27-04-17 at 03:32.
BaaFoKeemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-17, 09:30   #48
Dustie
Relic Hunter

I hope the recordings turn out better, they should be easier to manage and get right than a live concert. I should be able to put some money on this, but I'll wait and see how much they will need to make this happen.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-17, 12:23   #49
Error96
Explorer

It was a first live performance and Nathan has been open about the lack of rehearsal time. The sound isn't as good on some of the phone recordings as it actually was at the event. Overall though the concert was absolutely incredible and I loved every second of it. With an album or a tour they will be able to iron out the mistakes.

CD/Square aren't funding this but some of their decisions have be a bit odd recently with things like the exclusivity deal. This isn't the dreadful soundtrack to Rise but instead probably the best soundtracks ever written for a game. I think it is clear Nathan wants to produce something really amazing for the fans and if we show our support then I am sure he will. I am in for this and anybody who can afford it please do put in for this one.

Last edited by Error96; 27-04-17 at 12:24.
Error96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-17, 13:21   #50
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

Once we have the release of the studio recordings that are composed, it will sound just fine. It's like celebrities, their songs always sound better on recordings because they can fine tune it after. I wouldn't be too concerned about the quality of whats being played and recorded via mobiles during live performances, we are all human so mistakes do happen. Nathan has never disappointed with the music he has created for the classics so I fully trust in his ability to make sure everything is done right before a soundtrack release.

Last edited by TombRaiderTim; 27-04-17 at 13:23.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote