www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 13-10-19, 11:44   #27931
SoraSakai
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJodieG View Post
Because I‘m your bestie lol.
Awwwww <3 this is such a nice little thread at the moment.
Old 13-10-19, 13:58   #27932
Gothlegend
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by malferink View Post
See this is really strange to me. I've been thinking a lot about this and love to hear other peoples thoughts, be sure to let me know.

Thing is that I feel like Rise had so much more secret areas, secret places and other stuff to find in the hubs. Shadow felt really linear to me, even in the bigger hubs. Where as in Rise I felt like I constantly discovered something new. One thing that immediatly comes to mind is a part in Geothermal Valley (iirc) on your way to the Acropolis. There's a part there where, when you swim underwater, you reach a place on the other side of a gate which you have seen earlier. There's just a little cache or document to find I believe but that part felt really classic TR to me, just that sense of wonder, of discovery. I don't think I ever experienced something like that in Shadow, or at least I don't remember.

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts about this! I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who prefers Rise over Shadow. (except for patrick_star)
You’re not at all alone on preferring Rise, I feel more people liked that than Shadow And keep in mind that I love all 3 titles and have special moments with all of them, but something about Rise felt dull and muted to me. There are good tombs and fantastic setpieces, with absolutely beautiful snow and lighting effects. Graphically and mechanically it brought a lot to offer and improved on reboot, but left me feeling a bit thrown to the wayside as a tomb raider title. Something about Shadow restores this. It has an overhauled color palette, cheeky moments and quips from Lara that we haven’t seen since the start of the Reboot era, encouraged exploration and dedicated swimming mechhanics, etc.
To me, Shadow just felt like the proper melding of past and present in Tomb Raider.
Old 13-10-19, 20:24   #27933
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

Yeah I'm in the rise gang too. It just feels more complete
Old 13-10-19, 20:30   #27934
Tomb Raidering
Professor

Rise forever! <3

Though Shadow has a special place in my heart right after Chronicles, AoD and Anniversary... ^.^
Old 13-10-19, 21:07   #27935
Portugalraider
Professor

Listening to it again, damn the soundtrack for this game is so good!

I really hope Brian d'Oliveira is back for the next game. Or at least that they keep the music focused on actual melodies with instrumentation that closely matches the setting.
Old 13-10-19, 21:13   #27936
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Listening to it again, damn the soundtrack for this game is so good!

I really hope Brian d'Oliveira is back for the next game. Or at least that they keep the music focused on actual melodies with instrumentation that closely matches the setting.
The music is the best thing about Shadow for me. The only one in the reboot with a full memorable album
Old 13-10-19, 21:21   #27937
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
The music is the best thing about Shadow for me. The only one in the reboot with a full memorable album
Thing is, is not just good by reboot standards, I truly think is one of the best of the series.

Although to be fair, the main theme that came from TR2013 is great, and individually the tracks of RotTR are quite good. To bad that for TR2013 almost everything else just sounds so generic, and for RotTR all tracks sound so much alike that nothing stands out on its own.
Old 13-10-19, 21:22   #27938
Tomb Raidering
Professor

I hope D’Oliveira stays for the next game... He made the most interesting version of the reboot theme, and I would like him to collab with Wilbert Roget, II and Troels Brun Folmann, the perfect trio!

My favs from the OST are:

Shadow Overture - coz’ of the epic piece at the end, but the middle piece with the flute-like instrument deserves an honorable mention...

Innocent Death - becoz of its darker tone and incorporation of the reboot theme, just like the classics...

Ruins at Cozumel - Again... because of the familiarity. But also... the danger vibes, omg!
Old 13-10-19, 22:14   #27939
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Thing is, is not just good by reboot standards, I truly think is one of the best of the series.

Although to be fair, the main theme that came from TR2013 is great, and individually the tracks of RotTR are quite good. To bad that for TR2013 almost everything else just sounds so generic, and for RotTR all tracks sound so much alike that nothing stands out on its own.
I think Brian did an amazing job indeed. SOTTR is one of my favorite soundtracks.

And I do think ROTTRs is underrated. This one, of example, it's so atmospheric and beautiful. It brings me shivers!

Last edited by Vaskito; 13-10-19 at 22:16.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-19, 20:56   #27940
MelikeLara
Professor

I do agree SOTTRs music is good. But for some reason 2013 sticks with me the most.