www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 16-03-19, 19:20   #1
Girafarig32
Professor

Question Any French Speakers Able to Translate Audio?

Hello all

Something that has interested me for quite awhile in AoD is the use of authentic (and some original/modified) culture throughout the game. I feel this is especially apparent throughout the Paris sections. As many of you know, Artofangelofdarkness on tumblr (I believe they are on TRF as well) has done a remarkable job finding the sources of various paintings and architecture used in the game. Although the visual art has been tackled, music and dialogue has not been discussed fully.

Several years ago I created a thread asking what the origins of the music in Cafe Metro was, but I believe we only identified the first song; there are a total of three that play before the track is looped. Two other audio pieces also grabbed my attention since then... there is audio that plays in the church, and there is also audio when Pierre answers the phone in the cafe. Both of these are entirely in French.

To help individuate each audio I'm referring to, I made a video:

https://youtu.be/vMcb5J34o6Q

0:00 - 1:38 Is the first song that plays in the Cafe. This was ID'd in the old thread as Quand on s'promène au bord de l'eau - Jean Gabin
1:39 - 3:10 Is the next song that plays in the Cafe
3:11 - 4:54 Is the final song in the Cafe

4:55 - 8:55 Is a long audio clip with a mix of what sounds like an editorial followed by a few commercials, then finally a "breaking news" report at the end. I would love to know what they're talking about in this

8:56 - 9:05 Is the last clip: Pierre's brief phone conversation.

I would love to know what the sources are for the other two songs in the Cafe, as well as translations (rough) of the French dialogue in the other clips. If anyone knows French and could help out, that would be great!!
Old 17-03-19, 10:07   #2
red_lion
Historian

@Girafarig32

The second song is unknown. The sounds of vehicles on the background are to strong.

The third song (3:11 - 4:54) is "Le Plus Beau Tango Du Monde" by Tino Rossi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWq9D_dX0O4

That's what my soundhound fetches it (it's an app)

also in the commercials (4:55-8:55) did you hear at 7:30-7:31 an odd voice?

Pierre says a lot of things in french. It is already translated by Joey79100 in the past.
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...&postcount=110

Last edited by red_lion; 17-03-19 at 10:42.
red_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-19, 18:05   #3
DunHill
Student

The second song from 1:39 - 3:10 is Albert Préjean - Comme de bien entendu

I won't translate line by line what they are saying from 4:55 to 8:55 because it would take too much time but this is what I can gather :

Before the commercials, there is a discussion about the second Chechen war, or its prolongation. They basically denounce the fact that Vladimir putin uses the war, violence and conflict to justify it's rise in power and his expensionist policy as well as using it as a "pressure point" in all societies. It is a bit more detailed than that but that's the general idea.

The first commercial is an ad for discounts on train tickets from the SNCF, France's national state-owned railway company. The voice acting is really silly and isn't really worth translating as there are french expressions which I would have to find the english equivalent.

In the second commercial they say something like :
"This is adressed to drivers who use unleaded petrol
- Even whith the use of unleaded gas, there is still traces of lead in car interiors. Please verify that no cigarettes are still lit in your ashtray. Because why breathe a Lead-free air if you breathe the lead from your cigarette."

This is quite funny, because it is from a time where smoking and having an ashtray in your car was common. You wouldn't see anything like that today.

The last commercial is an ad for PMU, Pari mutuel urbain, a horserace-betting company.

In the last bit (the breaking news), they talk about tensions and "divisions" about the G8 summit of the year it was recorded. It cuts short after that with Pierre's conversation.

Pierre just says : "Nah, we aren't looking for part time workers, who told you such a thing ? Well he is a loser"

I hope it is understandable enough
DunHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-19, 04:13   #4
Girafarig32
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_lion View Post
The third song (3:11 - 4:54) is "Le Plus Beau Tango Du Monde" by Tino Rossi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWq9D_dX0O4

That's what my soundhound fetches it (it's an app)

also in the commercials (4:55-8:55) did you hear at 7:30-7:31 an odd voice?

Pierre says a lot of things in french. It is already translated by Joey79100 in the past.
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...&postcount=110
That's awesome! Thanks. Yes, I did hear the odd voice. It's something that has stuck out to me especially. It almost sounds like someone saying "B***H!" or maybe "Mitch"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunHill View Post
The second song from 1:39 - 3:10 is Albert Préjean - Comme de bien entendu

I won't translate line by line what they are saying from 4:55 to 8:55 because it would take too much time but this is what I can gather :

Before the commercials, there is a discussion about the second Chechen war, or its prolongation. They basically denounce the fact that Vladimir putin uses the war, violence and conflict to justify it's rise in power and his expensionist policy as well as using it as a "pressure point" in all societies. It is a bit more detailed than that but that's the general idea.

The first commercial is an ad for discounts on train tickets from the SNCF, France's national state-owned railway company. The voice acting is really silly and isn't really worth translating as there are french expressions which I would have to find the english equivalent.

In the second commercial they say something like :
"This is adressed to drivers who use unleaded petrol
- Even whith the use of unleaded gas, there is still traces of lead in car interiors. Please verify that no cigarettes are still lit in your ashtray. Because why breathe a Lead-free air if you breathe the lead from your cigarette."

This is quite funny, because it is from a time where smoking and having an ashtray in your car was common. You wouldn't see anything like that today.

The last commercial is an ad for PMU, Pari mutuel urbain, a horserace-betting company.

In the last bit (the breaking news), they talk about tensions and "divisions" about the G8 summit of the year it was recorded. It cuts short after that with Pierre's conversation.

Pierre just says : "Nah, we aren't looking for part time workers, who told you such a thing ? Well he is a loser"

I hope it is understandable enough
Wow, this is fantastic! Thank you.

The first advertisement almost sounds like a tragedy between a man and a woman. My guess is that it was an advertisement for some kind of drama show. But the fact that it's for train tickets is quite funny! I have to wonder what the discussion is between the man and woman.

...and then the mysterious voice out of nowhere, saying "b***h" XD at 7:31

That beeping "radar" sound at 8:00 followed by the heavy breathing is a bit odd. Is this for the horserace betting commercial? Before you said anything, I thought it might be a commercial for something romantic, like a new perfume or something, with the sensual background music, and again that panting/breathing at 8:27. I wonder what the idea was if it was for something completely different like the horserace betting.

Again, this is brilliant. Thank you!! I actually listen to these clips a lot because they are included among a series of audio clips from AoD that I sometimes use as background music to sleep.
Old 18-03-19, 11:15   #5
red_lion
Historian

Quote:
I actually listen to these clips a lot because they are included among a series of audio clips from AoD that I sometimes use as background music to sleep.
How wunderfull. Lulling into sleep by AoD. Who have thought that? But I love to watch and hear ASMR, I get that.
red_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-19, 21:08   #6
DunHill
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girafarig32 View Post
Wow, this is fantastic! Thank you.

The first advertisement almost sounds like a tragedy between a man and a woman. My guess is that it was an advertisement for some kind of drama show. But the fact that it's for train tickets is quite funny! I have to wonder what the discussion is between the man and woman.

...and then the mysterious voice out of nowhere, saying "b***h" XD at 7:31

That beeping "radar" sound at 8:00 followed by the heavy breathing is a bit odd. Is this for the horserace betting commercial? Before you said anything, I thought it might be a commercial for something romantic, like a new perfume or something, with the sensual background music, and again that panting/breathing at 8:27. I wonder what the idea was if it was for something completely different like the horserace betting.

Again, this is brilliant. Thank you!! I actually listen to these clips a lot because they are included among a series of audio clips from AoD that I sometimes use as background music to sleep.
Alright, brief translations of the first commercial I think it is supposed to resemble a drama show
[sensual voice]Previously... Since Micheal has his new discount card which guarantees 20% off the train tickets, he has completely changed"
'Woman : Micheal you've changed !
- Micheal : Samantha...
- Now you disappear for a few days but what are you fleeing exactly ?
- Please, understand me... This card guarantees 20% off train tickets, even at the last moment !
- Don't take the needle Micheal..
- I hate needles Samantha ! An old memory from my childhood that traumatized me...
- That's terrible !

I can't make out the word at 7:31 but it is still part of the commercial !

For the Horserace betting commercial, we tend to have quite a few commercials that uses a sensual voice like that in france, sometimes fo anything. I guess it must have fascinated a few people at the time lol
DunHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:54   #7
Girafarig32
Professor

^ Very cool! I can hear the man say "Samantha" now that you point it out. So about the heavy breathing... is that an imitation of the horses running and panting?