www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 22-03-12, 14:54   #1211
Spong
Beyond The Floating Islands

"Relatively" in that context means it isn't really a compliment. He's saying they're hit & miss.
Old 22-03-12, 14:54   #1212
Carbonek_0051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spong View Post
He said the final twist is "rather predictable".
There are multiple twists, so I don't know which one he means. So I can't comment on that. Silent Hill 2's was predictable, and yet I still enjoy the game. *shrugs*
Quote:
But I paid £10 for Homecoming, brand new.
Then wait and stop complaining? It's better than Homecoming and pretty much any of the games that came out after SH4. If the fan reaction isn't going to convince you, I don't know what will. Reviewers haven't exactly been that nice to survival games unless they are AAA ones.
Carbonek_0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-12, 15:02   #1213
Spong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonek_0051 View Post
Then wait and stop complaining?
Stop complaining?

I'm bummed out by the one respectable online reviewer (IMO) giving the game a barely-above-average score, that's all. I'm not complaining, all I did was state what I felt. Had you & Survival not challenged that and implied I was somehow wrong for simply being on a downer, nothing else would've been said on the matter.

I'm still getting the game
Old 22-03-12, 15:04   #1214
Survival
Tomb Raider

Oh wait, but I just wanted to point out I didn't like the review, not your view on the matter I had no problems with other negative reviews aside from the IGN one, but this one seems weird to me, idk.
Survival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-12, 15:06   #1215
Spong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survival View Post
Oh wait, but I just wanted to point out I didn't like the review, not your view on the matter I had no problems with other negative reviews aside from the IGN one, but this one seems weird to me, idk.
I'm tempted to read that IGN review, purely to see on what possible basis they can claim it's so bad. Is it spoilerific or is okay to read?
Old 22-03-12, 15:08   #1216
Survival
Tomb Raider

Some very very minor spoilers, but it's pretty much obvious they didn't play the game. Their video review is basically the reviewer being directly contradicted by what we see happening in the video.
Survival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-12, 15:13   #1217
Carbonek_0051

Quote:
I'm tempted to read that IGN review, purely to see on what possible basis they can claim it's so bad. Is it spoilerific or is okay to read?
You're better off reading a review written by Stephanie Meyer.
Carbonek_0051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-12, 15:17   #1218
Spong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonek_0051 View Post
You're better off reading a review written by Stephanie Meyer.
*Googles*

Genuinely useful information has been pushed out of my brain to make space for me finding out who she is. You owe me some precious brain cell

The "minor spoilers" are putting me off reading IGN's review. That and the fact that site is for retards anyway
Old 22-03-12, 20:12   #1219
BtoFu
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Eurogamer gives Downpour a 6/10

They reviewed the PS3 version, that probably compounded matters. It's the only review which mattered to me and I'm gutted. Frankly, it's a crap score
Eurogamer review reads pretty fair in my opinion. Though true immersion is lost on me 99% of the time with videogames anyway - at best all they can command me of me is my concentration. To that end I reckon that if you're letting elements like weapons vanishing during climbing animations draw attention to themselves - then you're probably not trying too hard to convince yourself that anything in this game is actually happening.

There's a difference between necessity and cosmetic indulgence, built off the desire to seem more realistic. If you develop a beef with this construct of videogame discourse - especially in a game like this - then you probably shouldn't be playing it with the notion in mind that it's going to scare you at all because you'll just be disappointed. You can drop a weapon anywhere within the main map and come back hours later to still find it there mind you.

I think the reality is Downpour whether technically proficient or not, was never going to average a 90 on metacritic. The game (like each entry in the series...bar Homecoming in my book) wasn't built for mass consumption whether Konami likes it or not. The condition of the first press suggests that they were aware of that anyway. It is 'Silent Hill Month' or at least it was supposed to be. Screams last ditch effort to me and they've fumbled it through a genuine lack of reverence for the namesake and a lack of respect for the (albeit self-entitled) fanbase.

I wouldn't let any review or score worry you too much. As a fan you'll like Downpour to some varying degree. Its only real sin is that it's still living at home with an unconcerned parent who doesn't really seem to want it around anymore - its step daddy Vatra has tried to do right by it at least.

Still needs a hefty patch though. [/Hope]
BtoFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-12, 20:20   #1220
DgoOdz94
Tomb Raider

Might pass by the mall tomorrow on my way to the movies and get the HD collection.If not, then Saturday for sure. ^__^

So excited, I don't care if it's buggy!