Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 10-05-21, 13:01   #221
Greenapple968

I liked Anniversary most of the time when I played it, although my opinion on the game did go downhill towards the later parts of when playing it. I can't say that I have any desire to play TRA or any of Crystal's TR games, and I even discarded my copies of Crystal's TR games, a decision I don't regret. I would say that I don't like this game and do consider it to be disrespectful towards the original but that's just my personal feelings, and you're entitled to feel differently.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 21:12   #222
Jathom95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
I liked Anniversary most of the time when I played it, although my opinion on the game did go downhill towards the later parts of when playing it. I can't say that I have any desire to play TRA or any of Crystal's TR games, and I even discarded my copies of Crystal's TR games, a decision I don't regret. I would say that I don't like this game and do consider it to be disrespectful towards the original but that's just my personal feelings, and you're entitled to feel differently.
Frankly, what I was more annoyed by was the attempted merging of TR1's storyline and trying to mash it together with the Legend timeline. Natla was the big bad in the original too, but since they were wanting to do their own thing why not just do a complete re-imagining than taking the original and neutering it? Then Underworld comes along and suddenly Norse mythology and Ragnarok is now in play instead of the Atlanteans.

It was just a really weird way to pull off what was supposed to be the modern take on what started it all imo.
Jathom95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-21, 21:30   #223
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95 View Post
Frankly, what I was more annoyed by was the attempted merging of TR1's storyline and trying to mash it together with the Legend timeline. Natla was the big bad in the original too, but since they were wanting to do their own thing why not just do a complete re-imagining than taking the original and neutering it? Then Underworld comes along and suddenly Norse mythology and Ragnarok is now in play instead of the Atlanteans.

It was just a really weird way to pull off what was supposed to be the modern take on what started it all imo.
With Underworld, I didn't play any further than the first level. In fact, I didn't even complete the first level; I only made it up to the octopus boss. I'm aware that Natla returns in Underworld, having already been in TR1 and Anniversary. Does the storyline in Underworld link into Anniversary regarding Natla and Atlantis or are the two games completely separate? I think Anniversary should be completely separate from the other TR games as it should simply be a remake of TR1.
Old 11-05-21, 00:14   #224
Jathom95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
With Underworld, I didn't play any further than the first level. In fact, I didn't even complete the first level; I only made it up to the octopus boss. I'm aware that Natla returns in Underworld, having already been in TR1 and Anniversary. Does the storyline in Underworld link into Anniversary regarding Natla and Atlantis or are the two games completely separate? I think Anniversary should be completely separate from the other TR games as it should simply be a remake of TR1.
Not really. The game focuses pretty heavily on Natla and Amanda, as they're the most connected to the story. Underworld makes almost no mention of Atlantean history of any kind. I'd say none, there's a faint hint that Helheim (the real name of Avalon) is what Natla refers to in Anniversary when she says "this island is just one remnant of Atlantis", though I'd say that's a pretty big stretch. I'd say it's more likely somebody at Crystal had a certain inclination towards Norse mythology and everyone was like why not. It's pretty obvious in hindsight they really didn't know where to take the story after Legend.

Last edited by Jathom95; 11-05-21 at 06:42.
Old 11-05-21, 08:09   #225
Greenapple968

Quote:
Not really. The game focuses pretty heavily on Natla and Amanda, as they're the most connected to the story. Underworld makes almost no mention of Atlantean history of any kind. I'd say none, there's a faint hint that Helheim (the real name of Avalon) is what Natla refers to in Anniversary when she says "this island is just one remnant of Atlantis", though I'd say that's a pretty big stretch. I'd say it's more likely somebody at Crystal had a certain inclination towards Norse mythology and everyone was like why not. It's pretty obvious in hindsight they really didn't know where to take the story after Legend.
Despite not being very keen on the Crystal games that I've played, I do plan to watch LPs for Crystal's TR games so that I'm familiar with the entire series and know everything that happens to Lara. So I'll know LAU a lot better once I've seen some LPs for them, and there's the newer games as well.
Old 11-05-21, 13:15   #226
Jathom95

Yep, that's what I've done. I only ever played Legend all the way through with LAU. About half of Anniversary, though admittedly that one was because I stopped playing because of real life things and never picked it back up. Wasn't entirely interested to by the time I was able to again, and never bothered with Underworld personally. Haven't even touched the Survivor trilogy, it's just not TR anymore to me imo.
Old 11-05-21, 16:34   #227
Greenapple968

Quote:
Yep, that's what I've done. I only ever played Legend all the way through with LAU. About half of Anniversary, though admittedly that one was because I stopped playing because of real life things and never picked it back up. Wasn't entirely interested to by the time I was able to again, and never bothered with Underworld personally. Haven't even touched the Survivor trilogy, it's just not TR anymore to me imo.
I completed Legend and Anniversary once, but that was without collecting all of the secrets. With Underworld, I didn't even make it to the end of the first level when I stopped playing and haven't returned. I then discarded all of the Crystal TR games that I owned, including TR 2013, which I hadn't even played. I've never owned any game after TR 2013. If I do watch LPs, then it would probably be best to start with Legend, and hopefully I'll be able to enjoy them enough in order to watch them all the way through.
Old 12-05-21, 01:53   #228
LateRaider
Inactive

by "discarded," do you mean you gave them away or sold them? or did you straight up throw them in the rubbish bin? ive seen you specifically say "discarded" a few times now, and i'm not sure what definition you're using. so i'm curious
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-21, 11:29   #229
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
by "discarded," do you mean you gave them away or sold them? or did you straight up throw them in the rubbish bin? ive seen you specifically say "discarded" a few times now, and i'm not sure what definition you're using. so i'm curious
I put them into the bin.
Old 16-05-21, 11:32   #230
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I never felt it disrespected the old games, it seemed to honor them just fine to me.
I feel like this toward a large portion of the game, but the massive cuts to levels are what felt like a betrayal, at least for me. I do think the combat and puzzles were handled rather nicely, and all the locations that we did get are pretty faithful overall, but yeah, less cuts would have made me and probably a lot of others appreciate it way more.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote