Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 28-02-23, 17:44   #1
laravision

Arrow No Damage: First ever successful run!

The first ever successful Tomb Raider III no damage/no scratch run has been completed by TrexOfTerror!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2U6fo5GBig

This challenge requires the use of glitches; it is not possible otherwise due to forced damage (before any smartasses come along and say glitching takes away from the challenge/makes it easier, because that's not the point here). Some of these glitches are very precise and are the culmination of a lot of time and research into how the game engine works - the no damage Madubu toilet drop/sequence, the Puna flipmap, the RX-Tech qwop+flicker and the Antarctica/Cavern snowflake coordinate overlap trigger being noteworthy ones. Read the video description for more info/credits.

The community enforce the following rules...
Saves are only allowed to be made for the purpose of glitches and exploits; it is necessary to save and load for some glitches to have the desired outcome. Saving for progression is not allowed (loading after dying or doing something in error for example). Modifying the EXE to have Lara always at 1HP, along with nullifying health crystal absorbing.

Other successful no damage runs in classic TR games: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...QR6XBhPDV3MhWR (includes some glitchless runs in games where it's possible).

These no damage runs are being played live, in a single segment without saves, with the exception of the aforementioned save/load exploit for certain glitches.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 01:06   #2
fallenangle

^ Extraordinary and amazing.

I've done a number of 'no scratch' runs through TR3 but I just don't have the patience and dedication to do something like that.
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-23, 19:00   #3
ANoDE
Golden

Very impressive! I love how well people know the engine and how it will react in certain occasions.

I'd never thought it possible to have a TR3 no damage run. Heck, I can't even finish the game without dying!

Great work.
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-23, 14:19   #4
xtimz

It's not only a "no-scratch" run. It's the "no-save/load no-scratch" run. Really unimaginable.

The "no-save/load" play wasn't active mainly because you cannot prove it. It can be proved only in 2 ways: (1) you're a PS player, (2) you can record full video. Video recording was not easy, say 10 years before. But now it's much easier due to technology advances. You can even do it with people watching online. So I guess in the future the "no-save/load" play will be more popular.
xtimz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-23, 10:30   #5
Jonnipants

This is insane! I usually die on the first slope of Jungle. The rest of the game is usually trial, error and death.
Jonnipants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-23, 19:37   #6
jeffrey van oort

What an incredible achievement.
Congratulations.
jeffrey van oort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-23, 01:55   #7
xtimz

I actually have a question. I don't remember there's a forced health loss in Temple Of Puna. Why take the great effort to do it reversely?
Old 06-04-23, 11:06   #8
laravision

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtimz View Post
I actually have a question. I don't remember there's a forced health loss in Temple Of Puna. Why take the great effort to do it reversely?
The reason being is because of the exit route after the small room with the lowering spike trap - that drop there results in forced damage, with seemingly no way to avoid it or bypass it at that point. This is why we see the complex setup involving flipmap trickery which essentially cuts out the need to visit the area with the drop.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-23, 09:39   #9
xtimz

Quote:
Originally Posted by laravision View Post
The reason being is because of the exit route after the small room with the lowering spike trap - that drop there results in forced damage, with seemingly no way to avoid it or bypass it at that point. This is why we see the complex setup involving flipmap trickery which essentially cuts out the need to visit the area with the drop.
My bad. I need to replay TR3 carefully some day to refresh my memory.