www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Fan Artwork, Pictures, Movies and Writings

Old 08-11-18, 22:53   #201
larafan25
Legend

IDK if you know about these, but ProBuider and ProGrid are available on the Unity Asset Store for free (by Unity), and might be of some use. ProBuilder lets you build geometry within Unity, and the grid helps any objects snap together. Might be helpful with collision objects too.
Old 19-11-18, 10:05   #202
croftyboy
Student

I am very into this! I personally want to thank everyone involved in this project. I really wanted to make videogames without TRLE. I started to learn Unity this summer but I lack the C# knowledge (yet ) So this will be a good head start for me. I downloaded it and will be tinkering with it to have an overall idea about what does what. Thanks again ♥
croftyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-18, 06:29   #203
Rorkimaru
Hobbyist

Default Croft Manor Remake

@Laras Dream, this is some really incredible work. I had a bit of a muddle round with the set up as it stands so far and it's really cool. I was quickly enough able to throw together the above (Click for video).

I'll probably expand on it and try to flesh out the house to be circa TR2 level of completeness.

I know that as it's pre-release you're probably not looking for too much feedback however if you would like some input from a user on how to package it down the line or are looking for some bug testing let me know.

I love that you have a toggle to turn off the automatic aiming for ledges as I hate that in video games but if you ever have the inclination or time I will plus 1 the inclusion of the old PS1 style human tank controls. I've looked through the player input code to see if I could adjust the turning even myself but it is way above my own level of coding which wouldn't even allow me to include a ledge hang so it's pretty basic.

Anyway, I might make a side thread for remaking the Manor because you don't want a rake of my posts in here but thank you very much for your work on this. I've attempted to try and do classic Tomb Raider style controls in Unity many a time but have never been able to even get ledge hanging working. I would really love to see a version of this prefab with the old fashioned input. I really can see your framework being the new TRLE and Unity is the perfect platform to use as the engine since it is a great blend of accessibility and quality. Great work!
Rorkimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-18, 09:04   #204
Ligufaca
Archaeologist

^

Your manor looks nice already, even if it's in the early stages!
I am interested to see more if you decide to continue on it.
Ligufaca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-18, 09:18   #205
FreakRaider
Professor

This croft manor looks already really good
FreakRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-18, 14:08   #206
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Your Croft Manor looks great so far, even for early stages. Id also be interested in seeing more of it as you go along!
Old 13-12-18, 14:41   #207
Laras Dream
Archaeologist

Oh, very cool Rorkimaru!

It really does get exciting to see people do stuff with it. To be honest, I did want to have it released by now, but I'm a student and I have projects and coursework to finish all the time. Tomorrow I have an exam before Christmas, but the holidays are a good time to get lots done.

Many people have mentioned that they would like an option for the tank controls. It honestly depends on the time I have. The LAU turning is actually close, except that using just A and D should just rotate as opposed to actually moving, and mouse control should be disabled.
Laras Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-18, 15:28   #208
Alex Fly
Legend

You should post more often, Rorkimaru! +1 to see more for me as well!
Old 14-12-18, 05:33   #209
Rorkimaru
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laras Dream View Post
Oh, very cool Rorkimaru!

It really does get exciting to see people do stuff with it. To be honest, I did want to have it released by now, but I'm a student and I have projects and coursework to finish all the time. Tomorrow I have an exam before Christmas, but the holidays are a good time to get lots done.

Many people have mentioned that they would like an option for the tank controls. It honestly depends on the time I have. The LAU turning is actually close, except that using just A and D should just rotate as opposed to actually moving, and mouse control should be disabled.
Ah I get you, and school obviously has to come first. One of the benefits of a framework like this is that it can be extended and updated by yourself and/or contributors as time goes on. Are you planning on sharing this on the Unity forums also when it's released? I would imagine there are plenty of people there who would be happy to help with extending it.

Prior to release there are a few suggestions which I think would be pretty crucial just to establish the Tomb Raider core move set.
  • Walking/Crawling towards a ledge preventing Lara from falling off the edge. If possible you could detect the height of the drop so that walking down smaller gaps doesn't stop but any drop above about knee height would be stopped. However simply stopping at edges would be grand if that's too much work.
  • If you could implement the old fashioned hop backwards it would allow Lara to fall backwards off a ledge and grab on to it.
  • A generic switch and/or key object. All it would need to do is align Lara to the correct position, play an animation and then output a result. Then people could add in levers, buttons and the correct animation etc.
  • When hanging and shimmying Lara can only move along a perfectly flat edge. If she were able to shimmy up and down slanted edges (up to a degree) it would allow for more options when exploring.

I'm not sure if it will be of much use but some bugs I've noticed over the past few days are below. I imagine you're probably aware of them all but just in case it helps.
  • Swiming is pretty glitchy. I've been unable to swim below the surface or climb out of water while playing. Also Lara doesn't always enter the swimming state when in water.
  • When crawling lara always turns to face north if not traveling in a direction. Once you stop she turns north again.
  • Lara will try to vault up onto a ledge even if there is a barrier above the ledge. This causes her to get stuck.
  • There is a spot between a vaultable ledge and a climbable ledge which Lara is unable to climb. Perhaps if there were another vault state for higher ledges that could go up as far as her minimum hanging height?
  • If you hold left or right when shimmying around corners Lara will continue to go in a circle. If you stop and start again it works perfectly so it may just be the order of events. If the code checked the orientation after every shimmy instead of just when she's stopped that could fix it.

Best of luck with your assignments and exams! I hope that they go really well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligufaca View Post
^

Your manor looks nice already, even if it's in the early stages!
I am interested to see more if you decide to continue on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakRaider View Post
This croft manor looks already really good
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
Your Croft Manor looks great so far, even for early stages. Id also be interested in seeing more of it as you go along!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Fly View Post
You should post more often, Rorkimaru! +1 to see more for me as well!
Thanks very much guys! I've posted the latest update in it's own thread so I'm not redirecting the development thread.

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=221996
Rorkimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-18, 22:13   #210
Nausinous
Relic Hunter

I'm confused how are people using the Framework already? Was something released and I missed it?

Never mind, I found the link to the GitHub directory.

Last edited by Nausinous; 14-12-18 at 22:14.
Nausinous is offline   Reply With Quote