Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 24-01-18, 21:01   #1
Danath

Cool Tomb Raider II: The Ancient Jade Mask

Ladies and gentlemen, i want to present you my current project:

A chinese tale tells of an emperor who ordered the most skilled crafters to make him a magnificient mask made entirely of jade. This mask symbolized his power as a ruler.
Before dying, he made his servants place the mask in a special temple in the mountains. This temple could only be opened by 3 special stone keys, which were scattered in various places of the world.
In addition, deadly traps and magical guardians were placed inside the temple to ensure no one would ever get the mask.
Lara wants to get it, but there are others that also want it. She knows that a group of bandits have recovered one of the keystones, and they have it in their hideout in the italian city of Pescara. That's her first destination.

1- Pescara
2- Bandit's Hideout
3- Underwater Base
4- Sunken Ruins
5- Siberian Mountains
6- Ice Temple
7- Hengshan
8- Temple of The Mask
9- Last Trial

The game has been released now, you can download it from here: Download Link

The first is the main one. What do you think? The boots are black now instead of brown. There will be 2 more, one for the cold weather and the other for underwater environtments.

Other Things

Okay, this is a big project. Lots of levels, i know! I want to end building for TR2 with a bang, but i hope i'm not being too ambitious... It will likely take me a looong time, knowing how slow and methodical i am, but i have no rush!

If you have played my other 2 levels, you know what to expect, generally. As much variety as possible, no excessive backtracking, camera hints where needed, traps galore, balanced combat, etc. I will try to mantain the quality, hopefully elevate it. One area i will try to improve upon is the puzzles, i seem to have problems creating good ones.

To not make the wait before screenshots too long though, i will temporarily texture and illuminate selected areas when i have them ready.

Thanks to the wonderful work Arsunt has done so far, i can have colored health and oxigen bars, widescreen FOV, extended view and fog distance and waving inventory background. When the patch gets updates, i will update the game to include the newer versions.
About the backgrounds, this is the new background for the game:

The main menu screen, made in full HD now ( clickable ):

Last edited by Danath; 11-05-21 at 19:23. Reason: progress!
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-18, 00:09   #2
NoahCrofRaider

Looks lovely so far, and I adore her gold top.

I still need to play your previous custom level too. Probably going to do that tonight.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-18, 09:34   #3
dcw123

Ooooh nice.
Never played any "classic" custom levels that use TR1-3

I'd love to learn how myself but I wouldn't know where to start.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-18, 18:30   #4
Danath

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
Looks lovely so far, and I adore her gold top.

I still need to play your previous custom level too. Probably going to do that tonight.
Thank you! Glad you like the outfit, that main menu image took a lot of time to make.
I hope you enjoy my previous level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
Ooooh nice.
Never played any "classic" custom levels that use TR1-3

I'd love to learn how myself but I wouldn't know where to start.
Playing TR2/3 customs is super easy. You just download them from trle.net, extract and play. If you haven't setup TR2 or 3, the setup menu comes up automatically.

Update: Yay, finally i have come with an idea on how to start the adventure.
But i have a small problem. I wanted to start the game without the shotgun, but unfortunately the only option is using the "remove all weapons and ammo" in the script, which also removes the standard pistols. I added the pistols manually to the inventory, but when you start the level you cannot use Space to automatically use them, you have to go to the menu. Would that be a problem?

Last edited by Danath; 25-01-18 at 23:14. Reason: update
Old 26-01-18, 19:30   #5
Feder

It's great to see a long TR2 adventure in development and a very promising one! I like the new outfit and the font, not so sure about the inventory background but hey, it's your project !

I know how to make you start with nothing but the pistols (you can add the medipacks and the flares with the script if you like), just make the game start in a different level than the first one that was what happened in TR2Gold when you could select any level but only in the first one you appear with the initial items.

In the script where it sais "Play Level 1", put "Play Level 2", but you have to leave the first level blank in the levels description instead of deleting it (you won't be able to play it of course, and there is no need for the .tr2 file for that level). And in the scripts commands, script#2 and script#3 are for the first and second level, they both need to have the exact same scripts (mostly the background soundtrack and secrets reward, because if they are different, they'll change when you reload the level).
Feder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-18, 19:54   #6
Danath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feder View Post
I know how to make you start with nothing but the pistols (you can add the medipacks and the flares with the script if you like), just make the game start in a different level than the first one that was what happened in TR2Gold when you could select any level but only in the first one you appear with the initial items.

In the script where it sais "Play Level 1", put "Play Level 2", but you have to leave the first level blank in the levels description instead of deleting it (you won't be able to play it of course, and there is no need for the .tr2 file for that level). And in the scripts commands, script#2 and script#3 are for the first and second level, they both need to have the exact same scripts (mostly the background soundtrack and secrets reward, because if they are different, they'll change when you reload the level).
Thank you i didn't think of that! I'm going to try doing that.

Update: I don't know what i did wrong last time i tried, but using space now autoequips the pistols without having to edit the script XD.

Last edited by Danath; 27-01-18 at 16:19.
Old 01-02-18, 01:19   #7
Danath

Talking New enemies!

Not a lot to show still. I have been spending quite a lot of time making edits to the standard Venice mercenaries. Here's my edited ones:

Do you like them? I removed the Bartoli signs from their arms, will also have to remove the sign from the cap the stick mercenary wears. And i had to edit the skin colour because the original ones look like Trump relatives with the orange skin!

Quick bonus edit for fun:

Now i will finally begin to build the beginning area, and stop messing around with the enemy meshes.
Old 01-02-18, 15:39   #8
thewolf
Golden

Thumbs up

Great to hear you are working on something big.

I wish you good luck I'm sure you will do great work as always. Sad to hear this will be your last TR2 . Maybe you'll continue when the Tomb Editor is fully developed

Unfortunately TR2 engine has not much possibilities to create new puzzles.....
Keys, switches, pushable boxes and timed runs is all you have. The original game consisted of find key, switch and push box
It's main focus were the enemies.
Trying to build new puzzles for TR2 is not easy to implement.

The venice gunmen are one of my favorite baddies. I love their creepy smile and their two behavior types: The rusher and the sniper

Well, done your character customization.
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-18, 17:05   #9
Danath

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
Great to hear you are working on something big.
I wish you good luck I'm sure you will do great work as always.
Well, done your character customization.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
Sad to hear this will be your last TR2 . Maybe you'll continue when the Tomb Editor is fully developed

Unfortunately TR2 engine has not much possibilities to create new puzzles.....
Keys, switches, pushable boxes and timed runs is all you have. The original game consisted of find key, switch and push box
Well, the point of having one last project for TR2 is those limitations, both for movements and puzzle elements.
If i learn TRLE/NG i could do more varied things in the future, and also mimic the TR2/3 style. Unfortunately, a lot of things are involved for that and i'm hesitant at the moment, so i'm using Dxtre which i'm familiar with and build a final big homage to this great game.

It's true that there are very few elements, there's not even that much puzzles in old TR games. What can be done is using those limited options in interesting/engaging ways which is what i will try.
Old 01-02-18, 18:00   #10
thewolf
Golden

Smile

Okay, even with it's limitations I will stay at this engine.
Maybe I will try a TR3 level this year.
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote