Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 01-07-18, 12:33   #12651
AimlessThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
It's better than the redundant thread you opened.
I can feel the burn all the way to Romania!
AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 12:38   #12652
Portugalraider

I mean, the movie does have its share of problems.

I still fairly enjoy it though, was only a better script and sound design away from being actually very good.

Seriously still really pissed a really good soundtrack is just wasted due to not being heard... -_-
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 15:59   #12653
AimlessThunder

AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 16:28   #12654
HarleyCroft

Quote:
Yes, the millions-of-dollars production is objectively better than my drunken one-sentence thread. I can see why it was closed and I apologize
But really.. I wanted to like the movie so much but it's just so lacking! There's nothing to be said about it, Lara Croft deserves so much more. Movies reach way more people than video games so it sucks that this is what most people think is the peak of the Tomb Raider series when it should have been better with all the potential provided.

Last edited by HarleyCroft; 01-07-18 at 16:29.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 18:39   #12655
AntRaidsTombs

Quote:
I snorted lol
AntRaidsTombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 19:08   #12656
Mikky

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
Yes, the millions-of-dollars production is objectively better than my drunken one-sentence thread. I can see why it was closed and I apologize
But really.. I wanted to like the movie so much but it's just so lacking! There's nothing to be said about it, Lara Croft deserves so much more. Movies reach way more people than video games so it sucks that this is what most people think is the peak of the Tomb Raider series when it should have been better with all the potential provided.
Agree completely. I still have a hard time understanding what people see in it.
Mikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 20:33   #12657
GeekOfComedy

Something that works in a 3 act structure. Everybody wants the Endurance storyline from 2013 into a movie but you should look at Kong Skull Island to see how that turned out - Lara would basically be an animatronic cardboard cut out - which maybe some fans would like because they can personally project and imagine her personality but there would be ABSOLUTELY no character development.

Argue the execution but also remember a movie is 2 hours and has to follow a 3 act structure.
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 21:16   #12658
SoraSakai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
That's all true. For me the pros outweighed the cons.

There's lots of things in the film that I have a problem with that I've been pretty vocal about though so I'm nof under the impression that it's perfection.

What I disliked:
1. Removal of all and any supernatural elements.
2. Removal of the Japanese architecture on the island.
3. Removal of violence and darker tone.
4. The "twist".

Things I liked:
1. Alicia's acting.
2. Lara's personality. She's more confident and likeable than in the game.
3. The action sequences were toned down significantly and easier for me to swallow.
4. The confusing sacrifice/body swapping aspect being removed.
5. All of the scenes in London
6. Lara not having any romantic interest in the film. Really thought they'd **** it up but they didn't.
7. The pacing , except for ONE scene with her first kill, is really quick and holds your attention.

Perfectly fine to dislike the film but there's also a lot to be liked about it.
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-18, 23:47   #12659
Portugalraider

I agree with almost everything SoraSakai said, though I do like part of the twist, and I think the movie is a bit too fast paced. I would add that, while her personality is great, Lara's motivation is garbage.

And I will also say that, besides that motivation and the removal of the supernatural, I think they did the right thing with deciding to tell a difference story under the same premise as the game. I think the story would ultimately have too many things cut if they went more in line with the game, and that would be detrimental to the movie. I personally would have done something a bit more closer to the game, but the story would still very much be different.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 16:44   #12660
HarleyCroft

It's great that the movie has some loyal fans and Alicia did a good job with what she was given (although she wasn't much like any version of Lara we've had before and to be honest I think they could have chosen better, but whatever) but it just wasn't what it could have been.

Normally if I don't like something I don't waste time complaining but no, I won't let this go. I bought the DVD a few days ago to see it again after in the theatre hoping my mind will change but it's actually even less satisfying and more boring on second viewing.

It's sort of like when Suicide Squad reviews were bad and all those nerds claimed to was some sort of conspiracy against DC.. a reviewer's response was that criticism leads to improvements in quality in the entertainment we receive.

I care too much about Tomb Raider to accept such a shoddy, thrown together movie. Hopefully a sequel will be green-lit so they can try again. I should have really waited until I was better able to explain myself so that thread I started will just remain an embarrassing tribute to bad ideas
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote