www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

View Poll Results: Which reboot Tomb Raider game is your overall favourite?
Tomb Raider 36 16.36%
Rise of the Tomb Raider 69 31.36%
Shadow of the Tomb Raider 95 43.18%
March of the Penguins 20 9.09%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-01-20, 21:33   #141
Kubsy
Hobbyist

March of the Penguins . But in seriousness, I preferred Rottr more as it had more balance in combat and exploring. Tr2013 was more on combat side with less exploring but, it had multiplayer (Well, a buggy one), and Sottr was the opposite, which made skills in Sottr quite useless.

And most importantly: Where is classic Lara or atleast our beloved Lara's personality?

Last edited by Kubsy; 13-01-20 at 21:36.
Kubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-20, 01:07   #142
New Dwight
Professor

would go with Rise as i feel, graphically, was the reboot's peak Lv.
besides that, 2013.
Shadow feel short contrast TR:AOD.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-20, 03:18   #143
Robwood
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivlov View Post
But most of which are based on a bow and a rope. The most memorable and interesting puzzle was with mirrors and light sources in one of the tombs. Everything rest is quite mediocre. For all 3 games of the reboot I'm a tired of the bow and rope-arrows. You're not?
I don't know about anyone else, but I never even noticed that there was a heavy emphasis on rope arrows. I know people here have said there is, but I've never bothered to pay attention to see if that's true because the puzzles don't bother me at all. Well, aside from being too easy to solve, of course, but not every game can be Sherlock Holmes or Safecracker.
Old 14-01-20, 09:02   #144
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robwood View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I never even noticed that there was a heavy emphasis on rope arrows. I know people here have said there is, but I've never bothered to pay attention to see if that's true because the puzzles don't bother me at all. Well, aside from being too easy to solve, of course, but not every game can be Sherlock Holmes or Safecracker.
I was never bothered by this either. It's like saying "TRII only has key puzzles, block puzzles and switches". There were never too many in depth puzzles except for TRIV which got a little more creative and complex.
Old 14-01-20, 16:51   #145
SnatchingEdges
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
I was never bothered by this either. It's like saying "TRII only has key puzzles, block puzzles and switches". There were never too many in depth puzzles except for TRIV which got a little more creative and complex.
The problem with the bow and rope is that you know what to do at first glance in most cases. It got more creative in Shadow, but still...

The thing with switches and keys is that you have to reach them usually by exploration or puzzles.
Old 15-01-20, 00:01   #146
Mutant Messiah
Historian

The thing with Tomb Raider 4 is that it had unforeseen mechanics.

Nobody informed you that you have to BACKTRACK or something. I didn't realize that they we're trying to create a pseudo open world that time.

Tomb Raider 2 didn't have that unfairness.

When making puzzles, at least for a modern game, you need to make your mechanics somewhat intuitive.

At least this is where Lara Croft Go succeeds. It's a perfect example of a great modern puzzle game.

Shadow is also good, though not Lara Croft Go level good.

The Last Revelation is on the pretentious side, to be honest.
Mutant Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-20, 08:30   #147
Nerdy
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
I can't decide so penguins.

None of them are particularly better than the other, all three are a mess.

altough. Shadow is okay. Imo.

But none of them has Lara in it...
Nerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-20, 01:56   #148
Delamo1999
Explorer

I have to say that Rise is my favorite including the Baba Yaga DLC. I felt the combat for the entire game was just right. My favorite place is the Geothermal Valley. It is all around a fun game that I'm going to play again.
Delamo1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-20, 02:12   #149
Lyle Croft
Relic Hunter

Well.

2013 was nice, but hated the combat. loved Lara's characterization and progression despite the poor writing.

Rise was very polished, but bland.

Shadow is great, lack fo communication is awful though. And no duals? :|
Old 13-02-20, 03:22   #150
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

A bit of time has passed since I last played these games, 4 months to be exact without touching any of the TR games. I am not sure how I feel about them now. My opinion I feel has changed... drastically. I made it my mission to do a complete series playthrough last time, so I have a fresh memory on all the games and movies. I am not sure how I feel about the reboot trilogy anymore... there is a lot of conflict.

My favorite of the trilogy? My answer would be none but the most tolerable? I am not even sure how to answer this one either without going into detail. I like and dislike things about each of them but I think TR2013 was the overall better product. Everytime I give it a go I enjoy it but I feel I do not want to see a game like that ever again, it was a well done one off. The story should've continued the way TR2013 set it out to be and it would have been great but then came Rise... Oh Rise... my opinion on Rise changes every hour. Rise has a lot of plus points over Shadow bc there is no such thing as: Forced walking every 2 minutes (still present and annoying but way less often than shadow and implemented way better), infinite amount of bugs and glitches, outfit restrictions, lame side missions, Helltiti and last but not least the villains were superior to those seen in Shadow. Since Rise had none of that each time I replay it I feel relieved and feel freedom, freedom bc I can use weapons and use any outfit wherever I want, as it should be in a TR game.

Shadow is just a mess... I never feel annoyed now when I see Lara cry bc of Jonah being shot in Rise bc Shadow Lara's crying scenes are way more annoying, out of character and flat out ridiculous for a Tomb Raider game. God I hate those scenes!!! Everytime Shadow comes to my mind instead of having a badass image of Lara emerging from the flames in porvenir as the first thing that comes to mind, first image that inevitably comes to mind instead is Lara crying and moaning at Jonah 2 times... 2 annoying and frustrating times. Hell I'd rather be at hellheim standing in that one hall where the exact same model of thralls just keep spamming instead of having to endure reboot Lara's exaggerated, melodramatic, out of place and annoying crying. It is very disrespectful to the character which makes me lose a lot of enjoyment from the game... not to mention the fact that Lara looks a tiny bit more like Lara but still lacks her Duals and has a mop on her head. Shadow isn't really great... it's a 7/10 game for a series that needs 9/10's. You can't even use any weapons for a very large portion of the game which is a big mistake by the developers, the worst mistake. Today, Shadow is my least favorite of the trilogy for sure.

Last edited by JsotoTRSaga; 13-02-20 at 03:46.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote