AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

All I can say is Sam's mom >>>> Lara. She needs her own game j/k lol
Old 26-08-16, 04:21   #492
SamCactus101
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi_w_ View Post
Himiko seeks immortality above all else (which is why she periodically inhabits the body of new hosts) and so I'm thinking Lara might tempt her with the 'shrooms of Immortality -- how exactly that plays out I don't know, but they made a point in arc #1 to indicate those same 'shrooms are deadly if not cultivated properly. Does she get Samiko to consume them and then once Himiko leaves Sam's dying body Lara administers and curative agent (though I don't recall there being one in arc #1)?
Oh, that'll be interesting. That could mean possibly poisoning Sam. Hmm, I wonder if the poison will somehow transfer to Himiko or something and not touch Sam.

Sam's mom has been introduced? Neat.
Old 26-08-16, 06:51   #493
Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:
I have to thing the whole mushroom arc wasn't one gigantic red herring and they'll come into play at some point. Himiko seeks immortality above all else (which is why she periodically inhabits the body of new hosts) and so I'm thinking Lara might tempt her with the 'shrooms of Immortality -- how exactly that plays out I don't know, but they made a point in arc #1 to indicate those same 'shrooms are deadly if not cultivated properly. Does she get Samiko to consume them and then once Himiko leaves Sam's dying body Lara administers and curative agent (though I don't recall there being one in arc #1)?

And that 56-panel fight coming up...so worried about Sam...
Again, this whole thing reminds me, to Voldemort, and his horcruxes.

Anyway:

I was just thinking a bit about Sam...she finally lost her mind? (Being tired to fight against to Himiko's influence, i mean)
Or this is just Himiko?

Where she'd go? Not after Lara, that's sure. (what is predictible, she will end up at Trinity or that mushroom cult...)
Also this mushroom thing...i guess Lara and co. wil find a way to separate Himiko from Sam. (back to Yamatai much?) And then, epic battle against her. (what whe should have had in the TR'13) And Sam's remains the same...like back to the sanatorium. (not running by Trinity...I found this really forced, anyway...)

Gosh, i have a lot theory in my head...can't wait one month again...

Last edited by Zsott; 26-08-16 at 06:53.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-16, 08:28   #494
Heidi_w_
Professor

^ No, Sam's not losing her mind, she's being possessed by Himiko.

She's obviously still fighting, she was able to tell that second nurse to how to contact Lara -- she might still have periods of lucidity where she can briefly suppress Himiko's growing influence, but she's going downhill fast.

Trinity's doing some experiments on the asylum patients, too -- something involving mind-altering drugs seems like. Certainly can't be helping Sam's situation. From the sound of it several asylum patients escaped, not just Sam -- I'm thinking these are Himiko's first disciples?

Old 26-08-16, 22:42   #495
Grid21
Explorer

Quote:
^ No, Sam's not losing her mind, she's being possessed by Himiko.

She's obviously still fighting, she was able to tell that second nurse to how to contact Lara -- she might still have periods of lucidity where she can briefly suppress Himiko's growing influence, but she's going downhill fast.

Trinity's doing some experiments on the asylum patients, too -- something involving mind-altering drugs seems like. Certainly can't be helping Sam's situation. From the sound of it several asylum patients escaped, not just Sam -- I'm thinking these are Himiko's first disciples?

I thought this was worked out in Ten Thousand Immortals?? Wasn't Sam healed already? What's with this girl getting herself possessed all the time?
Grid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-16, 22:52   #496
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid21 View Post
I thought this was worked out in Ten Thousand Immortals?? Wasn't Sam healed already? What's with this girl getting herself possessed all the time?
No, in Ten Thousand Immortals Lara thought she was healed.
Old 26-08-16, 22:55   #497
Grid21
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs View Post
So in Rise they ignored that Lara found the golden fleece and instead follow her father's research? And then it goes back to Sam being sick again? Just get rid of Sam already, it's old and annoying.
Old 26-08-16, 23:17   #498
Heidi_w_
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs View Post
That wasn't my impression -- Sam had tried to commit suicide (& had even left Lara a suicide note). Lara had set out to acquire the fleece to help Sam but in the end things more or less remain as they were. I don't really pay the book any mind as it contradicts many plot points in the comics anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid21 View Post
She doesn't get possessed "all the time" -- it's the continuing (and growing) influence of Himiko's soul within her exerting ever greater influence.

I don't find anything much amusing about someone going through what Sam is undergoing, tbh.
Old 26-08-16, 23:22   #499
Grid21
Explorer

Quote:
That wasn't my impression -- Sam had tried to commit suicide (& had even left Lara a suicide note). Lara had set out to acquire the fleece to help Sam but in the end things more or less remain as they were. I don't really pay the book any mind as it contradicts many plot points in the comics anyway.

She doesn't get possessed "all the time" -- it's the continuing (and growing) influence of Himiko's soul within her exerting ever greater influence.

I don't find anything much amusing about someone going through what Sam is undergoing, tbh.
I'm not saying it is. I'm just saying it's getting old. I want it to be just Lara, unless Zip and Alister make an appearance.
Old 26-08-16, 23:39   #500
Rai

As Heidi said the Himiko possession has been an ongoing and gradual. I did actual get the impression it was beginning to manifest in TTI, hence why Lara went looking for the golden fleece adn I do believe she thought it was all over...but the cliffhanger for the reader was that Sam had started to feel better before Lara got back to the hospital, so had not got in contact with the golden nugget. But for some reason Himiko lay dormant for a short while.

In the comics, Himiko's influence has been gradually getting stronger. But it feels like it's all coming to a conclusion in the new arc...unless they're planning on bringing it forward into the next game. To be honest, I'm not against Sam, but this Samiko plot arc has gone on for quite long enough. It's a bit like a storyline in a tv show that just drags and eventually you feel the writers are taking the Micky . Eventually, by the time they reach the climax of the story, it's lost the impact the show was going for. I am interested in the arc, but only as I'm hoping to see it end. I'm fine with Sam living and I think she will, but she won't be the same.

Last edited by Rai; 26-08-16 at 23:42.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote