www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 02-01-20, 20:45   #11
Tomb Raidering
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspacedude View Post
Complains about exaggeration by being exaggerated
Mine are very short compared to the OP though, right? Irony, I guess.

I’ll never forget and forgive what they did to Rourke...... >.<
Old 03-01-20, 01:27   #12
frodrigues
Archaeologist

Thank you guys for all the replies and tips

Quote:
The DLCs unlocks as you progress the story, they used to show a big message saying it was available but now you have to check the map to see if they are available (fortunately the icon is fixated on the map and won’t disappear unless you talk to the mission giver. And yes, the first DLC takes place in Kuwaq Yaku.
Thank you! Does this mean that the DLC only appears once it is story appropriated? If that's the case, that is very cool. I hate when DLCs open at random and make no sense of where I am into the main campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
Nice read. I didn't find all the herbs useful at all, until I played Deathly Obsession. Oh boy are they necessary.
To be honest, I don't even remember what they do exactly anymore. In DO, do they function as a replacement for Survival Instinct?

Quote:
I disagree with you about having to go back to open new places with new tools. One of the best things about these games imo.
I don't really mind that per say, but I would rather have them appearing once I'm in the general area where I can actually get the required tool. The Treasure Chests are kinda fine I guess, because they get marked on the map. I don't love the ideia of returning to Mexico when I'm further in the game just to open it, but I can live with that. It just breaks the immersion for me a little bit. However, some of the stuff you find isn't saved on the map, which means I will most likely forget about them because they are SO FAR AWAY from the tool I need to have at that time. The ideia of returning to explore the entire game again just to find what I had already found before annoys me a little bit.
Old 03-01-20, 17:08   #13
FanosCroft
Professor

ppl r still replaying it wow
Old 03-01-20, 18:09   #14
Kubsy
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanosCroft View Post
Ikr. I would prefer not to replay SOTTR again after all of the dissapointments imo.
Old 03-01-20, 20:18   #15
frodrigues
Archaeologist

Anyway.

Yesterday I mainly did the last bit of exploration in Kwat Kwat and moved on with the plot a little bit, which involved this hub's main tomb and combat section and also the game's first full swimming section, which I hate. My feeling's toward progressing this particular hub were mainly positive.

- First, something indeed happens with my game when I trigger photomode. Not only the overall quality is lost, but her hair changes volume (for the worse if that's even possible) and the arrows disappear if I try to take a cool shot with a bow. Bummer. Plus, Distance Blur is kinda messy to control, but that seems to be by design.

- The riddle about the twins is so cliché but I love it. It gives that nice Indiana Jones touch that is missing sometimes. Such a shame though that Lara seems incapable of replying Jonah's playful remarks. Another trait given to her origins: having no sense of humor.

- The path to the temple I really like. I love when the game lead us to modern abandoned instalations, those always fascinated me for some reason. Finding parts of Porvenir's old base taken over by the forest (or of any other instalation, really) gives me the same satisfaction as finding an old tomb. My only complain is that they barely touched upon on this here, it looks a bit superficial, if that makes sense. TR 2013 is my fave in that regard. Out of the trilogy, I feel that one is the game that mostly nailed the atmosphere and ambience of abandoned instalations.

- The combat section here is short but sweet. I'm not really good at them, though - for some reason I always try to engage in hand to hand combat and forget that I can't do that apart from using my axe aimlessly.

- Another thing I like is how the game build tension regarding the "monsters in the jungle", which you don't know yet what are they. The game teases them from the start and here it becomes more present, but still you can't fight them. They rely on sounds and visuals of Trinity fighting them to get you worried, instead of just presenting them to you at random later on.

- Apart from some documents regarding recruiting Lara or Abby, reading more about Trinity's operations here really interests me. Makes collecting documents less grindy than the ones that don't really build upon the backgroung of where you are.

- Entering this hubs' main tomb is a pleasure, but the tomb itself is really simple and so short. I suppose they did it like this because apparently that's not what gamers want in Tomb Raider, and seeing that this one is located in your main path, they couldn't really explore their options with it.

- That being said, I don't understand why people don't like them, they are so full of ambience. As you make your way from Porvernir's dig to the small caves to the main room, that's so awesome. I wish it was more elaborated.

- The puzzle had potential but did they HAVE to spoil the end by making Lara say "CHECK THE PHOTO I TOOK FROM COZUMEL!!!" without me asking for anything? I already had the ideia to check the photo, thanks. What's the point in making a puzzle if you won't let me solve it? And it's not like the photo gives you just a hint, it gives you the actual answer. Like, here's the puzzle but wait! Here's the solution too!

- Has anyone died here for trying to reach the gate before the floor closed? Lara gets bitten by a bunch of snakes, such a weird and random death.

- I think I didn't notice in my first playtrough that there are bodies hanging in a tree at the place where you learn the skill that allows you to.... hang bodies in a tree. Forgot the name of it. Probably something like Fury of the Eagle of Xixeel. I love that move ever since AC3 back in 2012.

- Another riddle that makes no sense is introduced here: enter the mouth of the jaguar to find the spider grabbed on an eagle that leads you to a snake with silver eyes. What a mess, I love it.

- Speaking of Lara's habilities to solve ancient murals while not being able to even speak spanish, I really wish they put a little effort in making Camilla read other languages in a more acceptable way. Apart from trying to emulate British, of course. As a brazilian, it bugs me to no end that the portuguese words she reads in documents are absolutely wrong. It's not just her accent, you expect accent. Here, she is actually putting letters where they don't exist. It's just plain wrong. Now I'm also expecting a trilogy where Lara Croft becomes the multilingual person she is supposed to become.

- After spending some time with good combat and exploration sections, the pain begins. It's time to introduce....

Swimming in hell

- I know everybody wanted this back, but look. I'm not against the hability to swim per say. I wanted it back too. It's nice to be able to swim. Just not in those horrible long sections filled with those instakill piranas that don't even give you a chance. You are spotted, they follow you from God knows where and that's it. Dead. Major annoyance they are.

- I always had some sort of problem with large swimming sections in general, I'm not very good at navigating through them, so I personally don't enjoy them that much. Traumas courtesy from Lud's Gate, 1998. But here, you can't even freely explore them despite the game throwing collectibles at you. Those caches are a bitch to find on ground, imagine here, where the camera is erradic and those piranas keep bugging you to no end. To me, it's the same thing as wanting to explore a tomb but having to deal with combat section at their every corner. Lack of air and reversed navigation should be challenging enough. I even accept a few piranas here and there. But how they implemented it? Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Look! So much better!

- You leave the flooded area knowing you will have to return to that because I don't have the freaking lockpick yet, and there's a chest in there. Ugh.

- The following section is a larger combat arena, but now with the added hability to hang people in trees. Love it. Did that a few times until those creatures came and killed them all.

- For a game so focused on killing people brutally with a knife, I really wish we had the hability to enter/exit stealth mode at our own will. That and turning the lights on/off of course. Why isn't this a thing? Plus, it doesn't really work properly. I think it worked better in Rise and TR13, so that seems like another thing that was handed to Eidos and they somehow managed to break. At times, Lara keeps crouched even after I killed every one. Plus, because Lara only crouches when enemies are about to appear, all the tension they build with the noises in the jungle is taken away. You know nothing's coming if she is still standing.

- I like the hability to check which enemies are beeing seen by other enemies.

- I don't like how they put "she's here!!" in their enemies pool of random lines, because that means they say it even when they can't know that Lara is the one who did it.

- As I returned to the city, I realized that I had one challenge missing still. I had that realization next to an oil barril, so I assumed that the game wanted me to explode them. I almost died, of course. Was too fast on my thought and forgot to give space for the explosion to happen. Anyway, that indeed was the challenge, so it goes hand in hand with what I said before about them being much more doable on this game. I would never have that moment next to Geothermal Valley's chickens.

- That being said, i think I'm prepared to leave Kuati Kuti now. My map is cleared apart from what I can't open. Obviosly I'm missing one document, one cache and one relic which are not marked anywhere in the map, but I won't bother looking for them now unless the game takes me to another area next, or when I manage to get all the necessary gear. Will see what comes next. And by next, I mean whatever there is after Lara met with Jonah and Abby and almost died for entering the tomb as if she's walking through her gardens.

- Also, this city is fictional, right? I googled it and nothing came up other than walkthroughs for Shadow.

That's all for now.

Last edited by frodrigues; 04-01-20 at 00:40.
frodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-20, 21:11   #16
xspacedude
Archaeologist

Quote:
The puzzle had potential but they did they HAVE to spoil the end by making Lara say "CHECK THE PHOTO I TOOK FROM COZUMEL!!!" without me asking for anything?
She doesn’t say anything on Hard, she just goes “I think I’ve seen the last date somewhere”.
Quote:
First, something indeed happens with my game when I trigger photomode. Not only the overall quality is lost, but her hair changes volume (for the worse if that's even possible)
That’s a PC thing bc on consoles her hair actually gets better and the arrows are still there.
Quote:
Another riddle that makes no sense is introduced here: enter the mouth of the jaguar to find the spider grabbed on an eagle that leads you to a snake with silver eyes. What a mess, I love it.
There’s no mention of anything grabbed on an eagle??
Quote:
For a game so focused on killing people brutally with a knife, I really wish we had the hability to enter/exit stealth mode at our own will.
You can
xspacedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 00:05   #17
frodrigues
Archaeologist

Quote:
She doesn’t say anything on Hard, she just goes “I think I’ve seen the last date somewhere”.
Actually, I'm thinking this was triggered once I activated Survival Instinct

Quote:
There’s no mention of anything grabbed on an eagle??
LOL, no. It doesn't say grabbed That's my own interpretation of the mural. And I kinda speak spanish so I consider myself more able than her when it comes to foreign tongues.

Quote:
You can
What? There's a dedicated stealth button? Or do you mean walking? I meant crouching.

Last edited by frodrigues; 04-01-20 at 00:23.
frodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 00:25   #18
xspacedude
Archaeologist

[QUOTE=frodrigues;8162950][QUOTE=xspacedude;8162922]She doesn’t say anything on Hard, she just goes “I think I’ve seen the last date somewhere”.[quote]

Actually, I'm thinking this was triggered once I activated Survival Instinct

Quote:
LOL, no. It doesn't say grabbed That's my own interpretation of the mural. And I kinda speak spanish so I consider myself more able than her when it comes to foreign tongues.
Hum but it doesn’t have anything written in it

Quote:
What? There's a dedicated stealth button? Or do you mean walking? I meant crouching.
Oh, from what you said I thought you were talking about being able to shoot first and return to stealth. But you’re actually talking about her combat pose, if that’s it we don’t have that option since the first game, she always goes automatically into combat pose be it stealth or not.

And btw, you’re getting closer to the first DLC, have fun!
xspacedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-20, 06:54   #19
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanosCroft View Post
I myself plan to replay the trilogy as I've done with the others.

At some point I'm probably going to do a franchise reply and might make a thread about it. But not right now though, it is too soon.
Old 04-01-20, 11:12   #20
FanosCroft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I myself plan to replay the trilogy as I've done with the others.

At some point I'm probably going to do a franchise reply and might make a thread about it. But not right now though, it is too soon.
oke